2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly Check in 5 - 11 Oct (Read 454 times)

Dutchie42

Gooooood Morning peeps,

Hope everyone is well. Autumn definitely arrived here. It was only 7C this morning. Oddly, it didn't feel that cold at all.

It was my first run in the dark since March. Loved it! Now if I could hold on to that feeling.... would make morning runs soooo much easier.

Have been running on the TM all through September because of all my weird injuries, which seemed to have all disappeared. Could it be the new shoes? Could it be that I didn't do any exercise at all for almost a week because of this flu-ish thing I had?

Heffa: what happened to your pic in the other thread?

Trey: how was the race? How did you do?

Crabby: you're closing in on me

New week guys, let's make it a good one!

Dutchie
    Run the day, or the day runs you.

...---...

The race was brutal. Brutal I say, brutal. It rained the whole time. And I mean it rained the WHOLE time. What are the chances that I would sign up for a marathon in one of the driest states in the country and a storm would move through on that particular day?

As a result of the storm, not only was it wet but it was windy too. I mean, Oklahoma is already windy without a storm front. And I mean it was windy - like in your face head wind, blow your iPod ear buds out of your ears, blow your visor off your head windy. 

But still, I finished and met some great people along the way. The wind really kicked up in the 2nd half which made running the Wichita Mountain course even more difficult. My split times were something like:

1st half - 2:19

2nd half - 2:45

Only one major blister which was good considering I was soaked for 5 hours. IT band started flaring up around mile 18...like, I needed another challenge. 

The route surface was a mix of concrete and rough gravel in asphalt. So, I'm really really sore today. 

End result - It was awesome! Theres something about suffering that makes the finish sweeter. Bring on Disney!

I sent in my criteria for the Marathon Maniacs this morning for review as this marathon was 3 in 3 months. Can't wait to hear back from them and join the fold. 

Have a great week all. 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Imminent Catastrophe

Trey--good times, good times! 

Congrats!

MTA: 12.6 miles on a spectacular fall day on the Charles River in Boston. I've lost some fitness but not too much, it felt pretty good overall and the ankle held up fine! Yay!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Trey - great job!  Is there anything better than that feeling of having overcome tremendous obstacles and still prevailed?

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

Dog-Love

Nice job Trey!!!  3 marathons in 3 months! Yikes.  I agree that a little pain never hurts anyone but a long run in the rain is tough.

Dutchie...I may be closing in...but there is quite a bit of mileage in between.  Will just see how this Fall goes.  I was in Seattle yesterday and I went for a great early morning run with some meeting friends along the waterfront.  Beautiful morning.

I sure would like to get a long run in this week, but just don't know when.

Have a great week.

Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
            Gig

I had a somewhat unexpected metric marathon yesterday. I almost didn't run it, but I woke up early, and could feel that it would be a beautiful day, so I ran the race despite not preparing for it at all (other than some extreme tapering the past several weeks). I ended up running it in 2½ hours--only fifteen minutes slower than last year when I was in the midst of marathon training.

The first 12½ miles were fun and relaxed, and I managed a nine-minute pace. I ran about six of those miles with an ultra-triathaloner who had done an olympic ultra-tri the day before. She almost had me convinced that I should try one, but I'm not that crazy. (Yes I am.)

The last four miles felt like they were all uphill. I said goodbye to the ultra-tri-woman, eased back a little bit, and contented myself in finishing with better than a 9:15 pace overall, which I did.

I'll recover the rest of today, but I'm hoping I can get myself on the road a lot later this week.  

...Brutal I say, brutal...it rained the WHOLE time...in your face head wind...major blister...soaked for 5 hours...IT band started flaring up around mile 18...I'm really really sore today...It was awesome!  

Great race and report, Trey!

Gig

...---...

Thanks everyone. Wasn't much of a report but it was about all I'll have time for. I did want to add that although the conditions were the worst, the scenery was spectacular, albeit stormy, and I did get to see a small herd of buffalo and one wild longhorn along the route.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Rest day today.  I'm feeling a little sore in my lower abdomen.  I think I might have a slight hernia developing.  I think I'll take it a little easy this week in preps for my 5K this weekend. 

Trey - congrats on the race.  Sounds like you really had the "Spirit of Survival". 

Russ - Sounding promising for your marathon.  Good luck.

Dog-Love

Well it was dumping like crazy today and 48 degrees...my favorite (not).  But I had a date to meet at noon for a run with Rusty and Julie and my doggie could care less. So off we went through the woods and the streams with water absolutely running down the hillsides. 

Ever closer to you Dutchie!  Wanna run a long one this weekend?

Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

...---...

Hi everyone. I'd like to introduce myself. I'm Maniac # 1811.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Dog-Love

Hi everyone. I'd like to introduce myself. I'm Maniac # 1811.  I have a running problem.

Fixed

...---...

Fixed

LOL. Thanks for amending that for me. 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

I'm an idiot.  Yesterday I was playing softball (playing softball the week of a marathon? Am I stupid?) on an extremely muddy field (ibid) and was hustling to cover first on a slow roller (ibid). Couldn't stop because of the mud and plowed into the runner coming down the line.  Took his shoulder on the lower edge of my rib cage and got my breath knocked out of me.

Today, as long as I don't bend over, take really deep breaths or heavy strides I feel only mild discomfort. Otherwise, shooting pains (level 6-7).  Doesn't appear that anything's broken because the pain isn't sharp and I can breathe, but it is quite diffuse so probably more than just a muscle bruise. Lots of ibuprofen for the rest of the week.

I am an idiot.

Trey - congrats on becoming a Marathon Maniac.  Took me only about 15 seconds looking at the qualifying criteria to realize why the word "maniac" is so appropriate.  Don't get to see "ruthenium" used too often.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

Dutchie42

Ever closer to you Dutchie!  Wanna run a long one this weekend?

Sure... maybe others wanna join too I'll be running on my new shoes... see how my feet hold up on a longer run LOL

ETA: did a LB w/o today instead of a run. I'll run tomorrow instead of doing a LB w/o

Dutchie

Dutchie42

Trey: congrats on finishing a tough race! I once ran 30 kilometers in a rain storm and I thought that was hell. Can't imagine a marathon in the rain. And congrats too on becoming Marathon Maniac #1811

Gig: you too congrats on your metric marathon (still don't know what that is).

Heffa: be careful with your hernia

drPhibes: you think you can run the race?

Dutchie