2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly check-in: 7-13 June (Read 530 times)

Just a dude.

7 easy for me today...

I took a peek see... maybe... just maybe I'll catch andsmit... 

Totally crazy to me... when I started running in December, I wrote up some goals for the year.  I was thinking there was a chance I could build up to 100 a month, and wrote down 1000 for the year.  It's gone so much better than expected. Crazy...

I don't know how the unicycle would work with yer boot Perfesser... But I'm sure that in your shoes (hah... shoes... ) I'd try anyway... I'm stupid that way... 

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Just a dude.

Blah!

3.5 mile warm up...

Stretches

Little bit of track work... 

Few strides

Pop goes the hamstring... 

Its not real bad... I can basically walk nearly normally with barely any discomfort, but running is painful...  I walked to a Walgreens and called my wife to pick me up... (Yeah... strained my ego too...)

Sigh... 

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Kelly - Sorry about the hammy.  Never had a problem there (knock on wood).  Hope it heels up fast.

My goal today is to somehow get a decent amount of sleep while still staying on a night shift schedule so I can be rested for my tri tomorrow morning.  I just got off a 7 PM to 7 AM shift and I have to go back for another one Sat evening.  I think my body clock is going to be just a little out of whack.

Imminent Catastrophe

Kelly, sorry about the hamstring. Take it easy, those things heal slowly.

Meh, I just keep doing my elliptical thing.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Dutchie42

Kelly: ouch, don't want to get you down, but hamstring injuries can take a while to heal.

Me: didn't do any running Wed, Thu, Fri, but did bike to work at a very leisurely pace and had the same problem I had on Sunday. Like there wasn't enough oxygen. Can't be my hay fever, can it?

Anyways, the weather changed and today it's a wonderfully crispy, but windy morning. Great run with the dogs. Spike was back in running mode and very obedient today. Why can't he always be like that?

Dutchie
            Run the day, or the day runs you.

HappyFeat

Seems like once every 2 months, I hit  30 mpw - which is my goal this year. So, yay, I just finished one

Hope to be more consistent with it, but I'm at the mercy of my decrepitude; so I make adjustments as needed.

Presently in Calif at the in-laws for niece's graduation. SIL has dust collecting elliptical which I tried out. Made my right knee hurt in front and below the knee. No idea why. Plus the foot pedals seem very wide-based and the whole experiment was not really very comfortable.  In theory, it seems like a good alternative if you can't run though.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Kelly: Rest that that hamstring!

Me: Got my beloved Imac back from the doctor - new hard drive - its pretty hard to post from the phone.

Thurs 4 miles, Fri 30 min elliptical 30 min light WT, today I did an easy 3 through the park after a late night at a co-workers party. The husband and I drove around some very nice neighborhoods today on the other side of the bridge in Dartmouth, looking for new running routes! He has been running 3-5K with his trainer so I think we can try to run together again really soon - this makes me happy.

Tomorrow 8 miles and then a little stint in the office.

A

Recalculating...

Dutchie42

We have a serial rapist/attacker on the prowl. He's supposedly not in my area of town, but as they're looking for him in the other neighbourhood, a smart one would move his hunting ground, wouldn't he. I'm guessing though, that Sunday 6 AM is too early for him. Besides, got Spooky with me.  That should be a deterrent. But to be on the safe side, I think I'll take my Kubotan out with me till they catch him. Darn, something extra to hold. Off for my long run.

ETA

It was a really nice run. Lovely morning. I even got me a tan despite the early hour of my run Wink It was a bit tough at the beginning, but once I warmed up, it went smoothly. The usual breaks for Spooky, including 2xwater hole. Running with the kobutan means I have a really sweatty hand holding it and I'm not sure I could hold on to it when used in an attack. I have to figure out how to take it with me without having to hold it. I'm pleased that I managed the 14.75 kilometers without much trouble.

Dutchie

I'm back on my night shift 12 hour days so I'll take a little break to give a little race update from my triathlon this morning.

It was only my second tri and my first open water swim.  It consisted of a 750m swim in the Chesapeake Bay, a 10.5 mile bike and a 5k run.   I had aspirations of coming home with some hardware based on the training I've been doing.  Things didn't turn out quite like I planned.  The open water swim was much more difficult than I thought it would be.  I only trained in a swimming pool and that was not enough to prepare me.  The other part that was hard about the swim was the crowd.  I was constantly being kicked, punched and generally roughed up even though I did my best to stay out of the preferred line.

The first transition was great, the bike was a huge improvement from my first tri and is becoming my strongest event, but the biggest frustration was the second transition.  I could not get my shoes on!  I had practiced putting bare feet into stretchy laced shoes a bunch of times at home and never had a problem.  This time the insole kept scrunching up every time I tried (sticky feet from bay water?).  I lost a good 2 minutes (and any hope of a trophy) just from that.  Even with the flail I finished the 5k in 23:50 and the run was 4 of 13 in my age group.  If not for the shoe snafu I would have easily posted the fastest 5k.

Final tally (for my age group)

swim    10 out of 13

t1           2 of 13

bike       3 of 13

t2           10 of 13 (half of my shoe flail)

run         4 of 13 (other half of shoe flail)

overall   7 of 13

I think I learned a lot from this race and I am confident I can turn it into some hardware at my next race.  I just need to work on my swim a little and perfect my bike to run transition.

Dutchie42

Heffa: you did great. Open water swimming by itself scares me to death, but I know what happens in a tri and I'm convinced I'd drown trying it. So big kudo's to you for doing it Why don't you try putting on socks (the short ones that only cover your foot) before you put on your shoes? Don't you get blisters?

Dutchie

Imminent Catastrophe

1:15 on the elliptical today, man, that's a long time. Ugh. Then I did an easy 1/2 mile on the TM. So far so good.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016