2000Km-1243 mile club

April 2014 (Read 18 times)

trying to post a couple of vacation photos, please stand by...

Recalculating...

Beach run, La Sagrada Cathedral, Park Guell, me and mom on her 70th birthday

Recalculating...

HappyFeat

Thanks for posting the pics, Ayola. I must say that your mom looks very happy, while you look a little tired. Sometimes vacations do take a lot of extra energy because you're trying to get the most out of them. Your log shows you got a couple runs done in Barcelona. Good for you! Was the beach near Barcelona?

What is the thing in the beach photo that looks like a half circle (with a nipple)?? What is the archway in Park Guell made of. It kind of looks like carved trees. The cathedral pic is interesting. When I went to Scotland (ages ago), I took heaps of pics of stained glass window in old churches. They looked like the best kaleidoscope images I've ever seen!

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Imminent Catastrophe

22.5 mile long run in Austin. I wasn't really up for it but it was so great-a nice dirt path along the river, lots of people, water and toilets, cute UT coeds. Great place for a long run, at least in April. In July or August, when it's 100 degrees, not so much maybe.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

That does sound like an ideal LR course, Russ. I've never been to Texas, but you hear a lot about the heat and humidity. Sounds like you timed it perfectly for IRC. Boston is rapidly approaching....thoughts?

For my own LR today I thought I'd focus on the question of what is my experience of the LR, mentally and physically. I've wanted to run longer distances than the half-marathon for many years, but until last year's physical therapy it was impossible. So now that I can do what I always wanted to do, I feel like spending time on my feet paying attention to what is the experience like really.

Today I ran 3 hrs 20 min. I noticed my legs felt pretty good at the beginning and just about the same at the end; probably because I didn't push the pace at all. My legs have been tired all week and I wanted to finish in good shape. I didn't have any pains or leg cramps at all and had pretty steady energy throughout.  In terms of mental perspective, the recurring thought that kept popping up was "This right now is where I'm going - I'm already there."   I ended as I usually do, sending a mental note of thanks to my physical therapist for another good run  :-)

I haven't been to Austin either, looks interesting and I'd like to see the southwest again (I traveled through New Mexico when my sister was in school there) March or April would be ideal time.

Happy - thanks for sharing the thought process of your runs. I find I've used mine as an escape. Although I'm more of an image person,  I like the idea of identifying a  positive mantra to the run. I will be running 10-13 miles today I'll think about this technique.

Also, in Barcelona the beach is part of the city, moments from the main avenues. On my runs there were folks of all stripes enjoying it. the other images are both designed by an architect Guadi, the arcade is made with concrete and clay.

Also, also I was quite tired in the photo!  I think I had been up for 24hrs we had traveled in that day and I'm a terrible travel sleeper.

happy Sunday folks, A

Recalculating...

HappyFeat

Thanks for the details on the pics and Barcelona, Ayola. It must have been a memorable trip for you.

Enjoy your run today.  So...I wanted to say that although I use a mantra on occasion when running...what I did yesterday was just pose the question: "What does this really feel like?" and then watch what was going on in my body and mind to discover an answer.

I found that at times I'd just assume I should be tired and have some mental resistance, that actually I didn't feel tired at all and it was a fabrication of my mind.  Talk about self-sabotage. Sheesh!  Obviously we're in a different emotional space from day to day, so the feelings while running will vary from one LR to the next. For me yesterday, it wasn't a mantra I was saying; it was just the feeling I had that felt like:  This where I'm going, this activity, right now.  No future goal, just my running body, right now.  That would arise and lead me back to an assessment of how my body was feeling.

In terms of mantras though, I have a couple I use on occasion:

"balance and flow"  when I find I've gotten a little off kilter. It helps me square up my posture and relax into the movements again.

"Use your momentum. Keep going. You know you can make it." helps towards the end of any hard run.

Anyone else interested in sharing their personal experiences of running?

Nice photos A

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

Ayola, how do you feel after your Tempo this week? Did it affect your LR today?

I am surprised by how much of the stuffing my newly re-instituted Tempos are taking out of me. I had to postpone my LR to tomorrow so I can go trail running, but I was glad of the excuse.  It's baffling because it doesn't seem like what I want to do with the Tempos should be that hard. I think for the next couple weeks before my trail HM, I need to dial them down a bit.

Running a bit late this morning, so it's still pre-long run for me. Trying to tame my stomach with tea and plain crackers before I go out.

I didn't run a "tempo" this week. I did run an interval session, two short runs and had one active rest day before this morning, and I feel just ok. Having a hard time ramping back up to 25-30 mile week with work.

Next week has a 4 day weekend, so there will be more running AND resting so I'll have more to report.

Haapy Sunday, A

Recalculating...

HappyFeat

Hope you had a good run today, Ayola. Sorry - I meant your interval workout. I have a habit of calling anything faster than an EZ run a Tempo, unless it's a Race :-)  Anyway, that's good it didn't impact the rest of your week - really good!  How did you manage a 4-day weekend coming up?  I want one of those!

My 12 mile trail run today felt strenuous, but it was a good run and a simply gorgeous day. Brilliant sunshine, probably around 55F, SHORTS!!! but gloves too.  Mantra for the day: Just relax and run from your butt!! :-)

I don't know HOW I'm going to do the trail HM in two weeks and finish 15 minutes faster than today's run. Feeling a lack of confidence over that goal, but motivated to give it a shot.

Imminent Catastrophe

Boston in one week. It's going to be a zoo, hoping for an "uneventful" race. The weather is looking pretty good, cool and cloudy. We're going to a Red Sox game on Saturday.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

Good luck in Boston, PerfesserR. Hope everything goes smoothly and you have a memorable (in a GOOD way!) experience. I think it will be an emotional as well as physical event for all the runners. So...we'll be thinking of you and hoping this marathon is rewarding on many levels.

Up with the Boston marathon! Cheers!

Down with the Red Sox!

A

Recalculating...

Hello peeps!

Its been a work busy and low mileage week for me, but I wanted to check in...

Perfesser - how was Boston?

Happy - isnt that trail race this weekend? I'm wishing you well.

TGIF, A

Recalculating...