2000Km-1243 mile club

March 2015 (Read 16 times)

Another 5K on the TM. Woke up late so skipped the outdoor run. It's quicker to just hop on the machine upstairs. And my avghR was now 166 so it is dropping. Which is a good sigh that my overall fitness is improving, and the running is getting easier Feels easier anyways.

Great pics Puke. Gorgeous scenery. Can your friends still walk this morning?

Aiming for 3x5K runs per week this month. Plus my usual strength training.

Feeling easier is great!!!  A sure sign that your fitness is improving.

As for my friends, 2 of them where ok.  One had really bad blisters that are only just healing up now, and she will likely lose 2 toenails.

I had a bit of a hobble on due to a bruise on the ball of my foot.  That only lasted a couple of days then all good.

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Finished this "weekend's" B2B2B tonight. The full 10 miles - whew. Almost reduced it to 8 miles due to a number of different factors; but when DH bailed out after 3, I figured what the hell. The last quarter-mile, it was hard to keep the feet from just SLAPPING the ground - ever had that? Once I noticed I was doing it, I decided to NOT do it. That was hard. The good news is I'm not having any problems other than tired. So - yay running!   Glass of wine and cheese raviolis now; then bed!

I find I foot slap when I get tired.

IS DH going to be ready for the adventure?  Sounds like you are.

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

I find I foot slap when I get tired.

Yeah, definitely what it's all about. Hope I don't do it today at work!

IS DH going to be ready for the adventure?

He's trying, but I think the recent return to running and ramping up the miles are catching up to him. He's feeling tired and not as motivated.  Plus he's pulled in several directions with running,  work, the Master Gardener program he's involved in, and stuff that needs doing on the homefront. So that type of pressure is wearing as well.

MTA: Just got home from work and he's limping around (mowing the lawn)  because he tried sprinting up a hill today and strained his Achilles. Ruh! Roh! I hope that's all it is. I also hope it will calm down in time for the trail HM we are registered for on Saturday.

MTA Friday night:  DH will have to pass on the trail HM tomorrow. He hasn't been able to run since Tuesday. He's not limping anymore, but tried running last night and aborted after a few steps due to pain. Fingers crossed he recovers enough to be able to do at least some trail running on the vacation. :-(

Meanwhile the forecast for tomorrow is awful! Makes me think of the cold/wet run I had a few weeks ago that was so chilling. We could have snow, hail, rain, or any combination plus wind and cold. What doesn't kill me makes me stronger, right?  Naturally, I don't feel ready for any part of this race, but will go out and do my best. I think it will be cathartic and by that I mean I think I'll get washed inside and out!!

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Dutchie42

Happy: how did it go? Did hubby join you?

Dutchie
          Run the day, or the day runs you.

HappyFeat

The weather held off for the race, although it sure hailed a lot afterward!  DH was unable to run it, which freed me up to run my best effort and get a measure of my current fitness. My time was 2:20 which for me right now is fast and - even better - I felt biomechanically sound for the entire race - felt really good. I had a few moments of fatigue, but they passed. It helps to be super-familiar with the course since it is where I do most of my trail running. I will try to attach or link to the photo they took of me coming into the finish line. finish photo

Just back from my trip home...Happy you look like you are really enjoying the finish line!

Recalculating...

Dutchie42

Hi guys,

How are you all?

Got a bit of disappointing news. May be TMI for some of you, but I didn't want to just drop out.

I will stop running for a few months. As you remember I sprained one of the metatarsels in my right foor last summer. The problem reoccurred. Not as bad as back then. What I need are new running shoes and special insoles. Unfortunately, I can't afford to spend money on anything I don't really need right now, because I might loose my job in the next three months or so. I've been told there will be a restructuring of the secretary pool. And I've also been warned that me and my boss still not getting along puts me in harms way. With cataract surgery in three weeks, having to replace a window frame next month and being a single income family with two kids in college, I'm currently looking to save money where I can. Sadly, new running shoes and insoles will have to wait till I am more clear on my financial future.

Luckily, I have a kazillion workout dvds, so it's not like I quit working out all together. So if it all works out (no pun intended), I can hopefully pick up where I left off in a few months..

I will keep an eye on you guys though, so don't go away.

Dutchie
                Run the day, or the day runs you.

HappyFeat

Sorry to hear you're going through a tight spot, Dutchie. I sure know how that is as I am currently sinking at the moment, although I'm not in danger of losing my job. So you are certainly in a worse predicament. Financial stress is so wearing!  I am trying to get a different job though that would allow us to keep afloat without depleting our reserves any further.  Hopefully you can too, or at least keep your present one. I'll keep you in my thoughts.

Dutchie - I really appreciate having to watch the budget. Projects and pay are down here too.

And Boo to misbehaving metatarsels - I think taking a break from running may also give the sprain a chance to heal... just please don't go away! Also, I could use some pointers on good simple body weight exercises. Apparently my cranky hamstrings are directly related to weak hips and glutes.

This April was not the greatest on record personally -  lots to complain about but I'll skip that part -  however I've managed to achieve my running goals distance wise. However slow, I'm putting the miles in the bank and I'm planning on a brighter and happier and warmer May.

This morning I ran a very slow 6 miler, 0*C on the last day of April. Sigh. But I feel like I've improved so that an hour long run can be done - mostly - daily.

And the office manager has located 5 extra vacation days which I haven't used - if all goes well I will take a 4 day week in June to rest (look for a better position?), garden and run run run.

A

Recalculating...

HappyFeat

Dreadful run yesterday. Out on the trail for a 12-13 miler that got reduced to a 10-miler with a LOT of stopping and a LOT of walking because DH seems to have developed Hypoglycemia. He'd eat a gel and feel better only to be unsteady, dripping sweat, and generally feeling pretty bad (on a cool day) barely 20 minutes later. I've been reading up on it today and kind of wishing I hadn't...almost scared to have him run long distance now. Only 2 weeks until the vacation doesn't give us much time to figure out how to handle his fueling, but I'll try. I think the root of the problem may lie in a medication he takes. So - no easy answer there.  Plus it seems to be random which makes it harder to figure out. This has happened on 3 runs that I can think of (although this was The Worst); but he's had plenty that he did fine on.  Keep all fingers and paws crossed for good luck - we need it!