2000Km-1243 mile club

in pursuit of Boston and other great April runs and races (Read 15 times)

Dutchie42

I just saw the news. Glad everyone here is OK. Sad about those who are not though.

Dutchie
    Run the day, or the day runs you.

Oh then perhaps I misrepresented it...Here's the long version:

It was really HARD and my legs are very sore today. By my Garmin, I achieved my goal of 2:20; but it was hard won. The beginning was quite unusual because as we waited, the wind gusted and it began snowing!!  They had bussed us to the start which  was at 1600 ft elevation. Everyone was FREEZING! After much mental debate over what to wear, I had chosen shorts - eek!! and here it was 30F and snowing for the first mile and a half! As we came down in elevation, the snow turned to rain that lasted for the whole race.  I started out trying to keep up with the "fast girls."  I tailed them for about 4 miles and that just wore me out. I couldn't keep up and struggled to keep my breathing under control and not get a sideache. Long before the halfway mark, they'd left me in the dust. I had a mini meltdown of discouragement - my legs have been tired all week and had absolutely no spring in them; my left hamstring has been problematic lately and was really painful at that point along with a myriad of other leg pains. I was a mess! I regrouped and decided I would just try to "jog it in." Well once I relaxed and quit straining, it seemed things got easier.  The trail was flooded in many areas (mud-puddle lakes) which meant a lot of leaping across, leaping sideways, high-stepping through, jumping up on the banks to skirt around, that sort of thing. I think  that recruiting all the extra muscles and tendons took some of the workload off the "straight ahead running" muscles and most of my pains subsided. Plus I confess to walking around some of them because I didn't have the energy to jump. My very fatigued legs were working as hard as they could go. I ate a couple caffeinated Shot Bloks which gave me a boost. There was a surprise hill - short but very very steep about 1/4 mile before the end - at which point I let go of my time goal. Three guys with drums were there to provide music with a marching beat which helped tremendously!  Then it was about an eighth of a mile flat stretch to the finish line. I actually felt strong as I cruised in and was happy to stop my watch on 2:20 - yippee! Honestly though, I was so happy just to STOP.Joking

Even though I've run this trail many times before, with all the water on the trail and the rain and the stress of trying to run it fast, some of it it felt a "new" trail to me.

There was a fun outdoor after-race party complete with hot food, beer (wine for me), and a couple of fire pits. Everyone was very social and I had a good time talking to people I had never met before. It was quite nice. So it ended on a good note, but still...it was flat out hard!

Still sounds like fun ;-) And you learnt something out there as well and achieved your goal.  So in the end a good day.

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

Still sounds like fun ;-) And you learnt something out there as well and achieved your goal.  So in the end a good day.

Yep! 

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Pukekura is wise.

Happy, your trail race Sounds like plenty of fun, and what's a day without snow???

I ran 6 this morning in a beautiful (warm) rain shower and then the sun came out and warmed up the city. I actually sat outside with the husband before dinner (with a jacket), spring is coming.

Still processing events in Boston, but I believe in the greater good and working towards peace.

Happy Wednesday, A

Recalculating...

Hi!

First, its a pity what happened in Boston. It takes someone really sick to ruin such a celebration of positive universal values as these big popular races are. I was glad to see on TV that they got the guys who did it. But I don't believe I can ever understand why they did it. Anyway, it was really sad, I'm only happy that none of "our representatives" in Boston got injured.

On a lighter tone, I'm running a 20k trail race next Saturday, in "my" mountains, starting and finishing in my home town. I don't even have to drive! I already know most of the way, including all the hardest parts, from my usual runs. It'll be fine!

Cheers,

Ze

HappyFeat

I had a lot of post-race soreness this past week, but went ahead with my planned 10-miler yesterday. It should have been alright - except I tripped on an unseen rock at about 4.5 miles in. In saving myself from falling, I injured my left hamstring or some related muscle where they attach to the top of the femur.  The hamstring was already tight and painful for the last few weeks, but the pain when I tripped was through the roof. Being me - after the world stopped spinning and the adrenalin rush and the pain subsided - I continued on. I did my yoga/pilates workout today to test the waters. Except for not being able to keep the leg "straight" while bending forward (due to pain) and can't fully activate the muscle without pain - it doesn't seem as bad as I feared. I'll go for a 3-mile walk today and see how it feels tomorrow before I decide whether to run.

ZE - I could echo what you said about what happened in Boston to the letter. Sad

Good luck in your trail race next weekend.

Happy - Kind of a rough week for you.  Not the easiest way to get your goal time on the trail race but you got a chance to work on your determination.

Russ - What a great performance at Boston and the 15K.  You are running great right now.

Puke - Great performance on the 100k.  Sounds like a very tough course.  You deserve some down time to recover.

Brian - What happened to your miles.  You crank out a killer 10K then just retired on a high note?

I'm almost recovered.  I took yesterday off and todays run felt pretty good.  I've still got some soreness in the quads and my left knee is just a little tender but I am pleasantly surprised with how good I feel.

HappyFeat

you got a chance to work on your determination.

Funny you should bring that up ... my latest focus is "mental toughness" ... because I need it...  and in more areas of life than just running.

I think both of you, Jeff and Russ, did outstanding in the Boston marathon achieving your goal times -- Congratulations guys!

My 3-mile walk went alright earlier today - took me an hour! but the leg feels better now. I iced it yesterday of course, and today after yoga and after walking.

Imminent Catastrophe

dang Happy, I hope you recover quickly.

Thanks for the well-wishes everyone. Boston was fantastic, well, until 2:10 EDT.

As soon as I started running it became obvious why Boston is so special, aside from the history. At other big-city marathons they are cheering FOR you, especially in NYC you feel like you're a hero, a Yankee, a Ranger, a Knick, an astronaut...whatever. In the Boston Marathon it's different, more like you're a crazy uncle at their family picnic and they're cheering WITH you. Like you're just an honored guest at their party. And I loved it. I high-fived so many toddlers and Wellesley Girls that I almost wore myself out early, but got so much energy from the crowds that I ran way faster than I'd planned and had left the finish area a few minutes before the blasts. DW had been waiting right near where the first bomb went off. We were walking across Boston Common back toward our hotel when we heard the very loud blasts.

Saturday's 15k was special too, it's been run for 48 years and commemorates the battles of Chickamauga and Chattanooga in the US Civil war in1863, so this was the 150th anniversary. I love that Park, it's always so special running through the cannons and monuments. They asked everyone to wear blue and yellow for Boston and there were a few of us with 2013 Boston shirts. Anyway I ran the first 3 miles easy, then the next 3 moderate, then the rest hard, and I got within about a minute of my 2007 course record so that was cool.

A week from now I'll hopefully have finished the Boston 2 Big Sur Challenge. I sure hope that Big Sur is less eventful than Boston was.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

This has a whole new meaning now.

Happy- glad the hamstring is better.

Ze-good luck out on the trails.

Great job on meeting those marathon goals!

I ran Friday, Saturday (shorts!) and Sunday. i mismanaged the 10 miler - started a bit too fast and slogged through miles 7-9. Somehow I'm always good  on the last mile in my neighbourhood as I approach the coffee landing. As you say Happy, it's all mental. I did run through the 2 steep hills of the Halifax  race course as a bit of practice. Next week a full 13 miler, I think it will be warm enough to go to our local urban trail. I'm looking for a good long run, getting nervous about the race.

Happy Monday, A

Recalculating...

Brian - What happened to your miles.  You crank out a killer 10K then just retired on a high note?

Actually, that's not a bad idea.

No, just a combination of injury and behind on my logging (about 27 miles missing). I think I've been going through what you went through.  On 4/7 during my last really long run before racing on 4/27 my achilles was stiff at the start then progressed to painful and then to very painful. So 18, became 13.  Rested a few days, tried it on Wed. and it was still bad.  So the logical thing was to go ahead and race a 10K that weekend. Since then I've been taking it easy and having a very exaggerated taper. Pretty much pain free this weekend, but still stiff in achilles and calf.  Trying to roll and stretch regularly and hold it together to race day on Saturday.

Again, glad the two of you (and significant others) are safe.  I had three close real-life friends running that day and my son goes to school in Boston. All are safe, but we've been glued to the news all week. Crazy.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

HappyFeat

It's Wednesday - no run since Saturday's hamstring injury - it's the best weather we've had all year - I can't not try to run tonight - so frustrated by this hamstring injury - I've tested it out in the hallway here at work (I"m on lunch) and if I take short steps, I think I could do it painfree. I read you should try marching and skipping to test it out before trying to run. Couldn't do either yesterday without stabbing pain. Today - pain is more dull.  grumble, gripe, grumble.....  I've been walking for an hour for the last 4 days instead of running...suppose I could do that for one more night...sigh.

Imminent Catastrophe

The weather is looking great for tomorrow's Big Sur Marathon. I saw some friends and had a nice meal. Now for the worst part: alarm set for 3 a.m. UGH.

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

Best of luck tomorrow PerfesserR! Hope the scenic views are more memorable than the hills I've heard about.