2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly check in: 10 - 16 January 2011 (Read 480 times)

HappyFeat

Wrapped up a pretty good week with 8+.  Let Friday's ice and snow be an excuse to skip a day, which is the first workout I've missed this year.

Finally made up my mind about a Spring race.  I'd originally planned on doing Flying Pig, but just couldn't get excited about it.  Instead I'm going to do the Andrew Jackson Marathon in Jackson, TN.  Last year they had 50 or so marathon finishers, so I may be looking at my first top 100 and maybe a top 10 in my age group.  On the other hand its 3 weeks earlier than Flying Pig so I'm now 3 weeks behind on my training plan.

So what is your training plan? I'd always choose the smaller event over the larger.

After skipping last night's run because of being too tired - I ran 8 tonight on the treadmill, trying to push my pace a bit; I varied my pace by 15 seconds per mile faster for a couple miles and fractions of miles. (I feel awkward using the term, but think "fartlek" is correct.  I like "speedplay" better.) 

Friday update: 4 nice slow miles outside in the dark tonight - felt good.

Planning on 12 tomorrow afternoon - also slow.

Have decided that Monday's 5 and Wednesday's 8 will be my speedplay days and see how that goes.

Ayola: I printed a couple of helpful articles by Brad Hudson off the Running Times website. One ws called "Everything Matters" and the other was "Run Faster: Six Adaptive Running Techniques" Some good stuff there.

When it gets lighter in the evening's I'm going to try out the "hill sprints"  - where you run uphill as fast as you can for 10 seconds, starting with one set and working up to 20, with a couple minutes recovery in between.  The purpose is to build leg strength.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Low mileage week - I tweaked my back last weekend and then made it worse by weight training on Sunday. I cancelled training for the week, used heat packs and red wine, did extra stretching and now I think I'm repaired. Next week will be back to normal.

6+ miles easy today in a pretty light snow, nice big flakes, streets were clear of ice and it was fairly warm  (I pre-complained about running in the snow, tsk tsk) I even got a cheer from some kids outside of the local middle school.

Happy - hill sprints are part of the Hudson plan I'm going to try (mostly inside on the treadmill if its icy outside) Its pretty hilly here but I never consider sprinting them, ha ha. I'll give you a report as I try it out. I have been noticing that hills seem a bit easier lately - all of those squats and lunges hopefully are paying off.

Happy saturday, A

Recalculating...

So what is your training plan? I'd always choose the smaller event over the larger.

I've been using the Hal Higdon Advanced-I plan.  Trying to stick to it pretty religiously this time.

After doing only large marathons, I'm looking forward to trying out a small one. 

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

I'm finally reading "Born To Run" and my weekly mileage is through the roof.  I'm really enjoying the book and running more than usual.  Give me another week and I'll be barefoot and naked running through the woods singing kumbaya.  I'm still trying to keep the majority of my runs on the easy side and build up some more good base before kicking in some speed work next month.

I went for 13 years between ski trips, now I'll be going twice in a month.  We are heading back up to PA for another ski trip in two weeks but this time I'm taking the family.  This time we are going to Liberty Ski Resort.  My 12 year old son has never been skiing before so that should be interesting.

HappyFeat

So here's my current plan to get faster - and my question is when should I throw in the hill sprint(s)?

I'm thinking Monday before my run - any other ideas?

Monday 5 miles, each mile faster than the last

Tues  4 miles slow

Wed   8 miles speedplay

Thurs  4 miles slow

Friday  rest

Saturday 10-12 slow

Sunday  rest

Loves the outdoors

Hit 50km for the week for the first time since April last year. Last time I hit 50km for a week I felt so tired and ended up dropping  my mileage way back and failed to get back there until now. I feel great at the moment and I can feel that I can hold this. Although I'm only 3 weeks out from my goal half marathon, so I guess I'll dip back down again during the taper period. 

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

HappyFeat

Hit 50km for the week for the first time since April last year. Last time I hit 50km for a week I felt so tired and ended up dropping  my mileage way back and failed to get back there until now. I feel great at the moment and I can feel that I can hold this. Although I'm only 3 weeks out from my goal half marathon, so I guess I'll dip back down again during the taper period. 

Solid progress NZ Glad your running is going so well. What is your HM goal time?

Ahead of the Bunny for the first time in almost 2 years!

Loves the outdoors

Solid progress NZ Glad your running is going so well. What is your HM goal time?

I haven't decided on a goal time yet as I just can't work out what is a reasonable one. Sub 2:20 (6:39min/km) is my hope. I've been running consistently but my long runs are still short, so it makes me feel a bit under done. I managed a 6:40min/km pace for an 18.2km trail race in November off a very short long run, with lots of running since then. 2:15 (6:24min/km) would be amazing, but I'm concerned if I aim for that I'll crash and finish in misery. I would prefer to do a 10km race, but the only one on is an approx 10km distance that starts at the top of a big hill (200m) runs down then up a trail with a final very steep ascent back to the top of the hill. I think that would trash my quads and not help with a time indication anyway given I know the group that runs this race are fairly relaxed about measuring plus it's a BIG hill. There are some mid-week 5km flat races I could do, so I am thinking of doing a local one on Wednesday evening.

How's that for a convoluted explanation of my time goal!

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

Imminent Catastrophe

Ran the Callaway Gardens Marathon today, it's a really pretty, scenic 2-loop course but I really ran poorly, going out too fast and fading badly toward the end. I hate it when that happens. 4:14-ish was good enough for 3rd in age group so I got a nifty plaque, so there's that. 

The more I run road races, the more I like trail races. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Perfesser - congrats on ANOTHER marathon, any pictures?

Happy - Hudson has the hill sprints on easy run days. In the first week its only 3 x 8 second sprints. I'm going to try tomorrow (on the treadmill before WT)

This morning a run in about 5 inches of fresh dry snow, no ice, super slow going but there was clear sky sunrise with a crescent moon.

A

Recalculating...

Imminent Catastrophe

Thanks Ayola.

No pictures this time. 

Do you use YakTrax or spikes or anything like that when running in the snow? I wanted to get a run in Boston but the sidewalks were really icy. So I took a nap instead Big grin

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016