2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly Mileage Check-In for week July 28 (Read 335 times)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

In the modern era, I imagine you all have the Tacoma Narrows Bridge Collapse bookmarked, right? Tongue
    Yep, and even more recently (1981), the Hyatt Regency Walkway Collapse -
    In the modern era, I imagine you all have the Tacoma Narrows Bridge Collapse bookmarked, right? Tongue
    Yes, and even more recently, the Hyatt Regency Walkway Collapse - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyatt_Regency_walkway_collapse That happened when I was starting my sophomore year in college. We got a lot of lectures about it! The scary part is that I can see how easily it happened - a last-minute change that didn't get reviewed thoroughly by the original engineer. I guess that's why we pay about 10% of our gross income for professional liability insurance! I don't do much design - DH handles it, and he does lose sleep wondering if he's missed any important details.

Imminent Catastrophe

5 miles on the dreadmill today. I'm not a big fan of the dreadmill but I have to admit, when it's really nasty hot and humid out, it's a nice option to run inside with the a/c and a fan blowing on you, watching TV. I wouldn't have run at all otherwise. Tomorrow I'll be in Denver, which is supposed to be 95° out so I won't run there unless the hotel has a gym. Yeah I feel like a wimp, especially after watching the Badwater results, but I don't really want to run in 95° in the sun.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

...---...

3.3 easy miles. SInce I don't have a dreadmill, it's heat and humidity for me. Lsst week while on business in Huntsville, I did the hotel treadmill and also admit that running in AC, after the heat we've been through here in the South this year, felt wonderful. Same here Perfesser - except will be in Orlando next week (UGH!!!) Humidity to the nth power. Hmmm, heat and very high altitude or heat and humidity so thick you could swim through it? I think I like your trip location better for running...at least you'll have great scenery.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

I run for Fried Chicken!

I'm one of those weirdos who like running on the treadmill. Maybe if I had a nicer location to run around but there aren't much but big streets or a bad neighborhood to run around in my area. Also, I get to just zone out on the treadmill, I'm constantly on the lookout for getting run over or something when I'm out running on the streets.
          Dutchie42

It's too hot to run on the treadmill for me. It's up in my bedroom, which has a lot of windows facing southwest and has a flat roof. It's hot there in Winter with two ventilators blowing. But it was a gorgeous morning again. No need to run indoors Big grin Nice run with Spooky!! Bit tough at first. But once the legs loosened up, it was fun and exhilirating. Deer crossed the path just a few meters ahead of me. I'm wondering if it's the same deer I see every time? It seems to be all alone. Today I was running and a blur of brown caught my eye. I grabbed Spooky and held on to her collar. As I looked up, the deer was just a few meters away, crossing the bike path. Spooky was frantically trying to get away. Guess what else I saw today. For the very first time ever in my life?! We were at Spooky's watering hole. I always stop there and let Spooky play in the water (that is, she never goes further in then up to her belly). I suddenly saw something swimming. It looked like a duck with its head under water, I thought at first. But it was swimming fast. Never seen a duck do that. As I looked closer, and it came closer, I realised it was an .... otter. A real life otter! I've never seen one before, except on telly or in a book. My gosh, there's an otter in that stream. And where there's one, aren't there two? It disappeared under water and I waited and waited. It didn't come back. Not that I saw anyway. So after about 10 min (I'd stopped the clock) I continued my run. Absolutely gorgeous morning, and such a great run. I love life Wink

Dutchie
            Run the day, or the day runs you.

A Saucy Wench

Dutchie that is so cool!

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

I run for Fried Chicken!

That's a great story, if I had scenery like that to run to, I might run outdoors more. I signed up for my first 5k ever and it's this weekend. Bunch of people at work are doing. Some really fast people and other non runners. I got one of the fast girls to pace me. I want to go under 25mins, so she said she would pace me the first mile at an 8 min pace, then I'm on my own. When I asked her how fast she was going to run it initially, she said she was going to take it easy at a 7min pace! Surprised
                jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

6.1 today at the indoor walking track. 53 minutes is way longer than I should be spending on a run, especially when you include the time driving to and from, changing clothes, etc. But I just felt good and kept running. Most of it was nice and easy, but after around 5.5 miles, I started picking up the pace and ran the last 1/3 of a mile or so at 6:00 pace or better. Stupid and unnecessary (I hate being a workout hero), but it felt good to run the engine at a higher gear for once. This put's this weeks total to over 19 so far, which is more than the past 3 weeks combined.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

...---...

5.0 miles with hill repeats. New monthly high on mileage for me @ 92 to end July. Aaron - good luck on your race. I think you'll find that running in a group/race setting will really get your juices flowing and you'll run faster without even knowing it. You'll do fine.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

...---...

So with 3 extra running days in August on top of 4 full weeks, our monthly mileage totals should be monsters, yeah? I saw an otter once in a pond eating a fish...it scared me a little at first as I wasn't sure what it was. They are a lot bigger than I thought they would be. I was like, "what the hell is that!?!? Seal? Lockness monster? Dog?" How big was the one you saw Dutchie?

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

I run for Fried Chicken!

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'll post a report on Sunday. I finished up July just over 100 miles. Keeping up with my 100 miles a month goal. Though I'm still slightly behind the bunny. Hopefully I'll pass the bunny in August and stay ahead the rest of the year.

A Saucy Wench

So with 3 extra running days in August on top of 4 full weeks, our monthly mileage totals should be monsters, yeah?
                          For me it is all about how many weekends there are. 5 full weekends = big month.

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Ringmaster

Been keeping up with the reading and just have to say . . . too cool, Dutchie! Boy, if I let my doggie in any lakes around here and saw something near her I'd probably figure it was a gator. Hope you can run okay in Orlando, it gets pretty hot what with it being inland and everything. You going park hopping?

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                            Mile by Mile

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Today was an 80/80 day. 80 degrees, 80% humidity. Wow, I needed someone to wring me out after those 5 sweaty miles.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

A Saucy Wench

Today was an 80/80 day. 80 degrees, 80% humidity. Wow, I needed someone to wring me out after those 5 sweaty miles.
                                Boy - you post that in the swamp and i bet the answers would be more interesting