2000Km-1243 mile club

Winter Running in the Great White North (Read 187 times)

...---...

Hi group - as some of you have read in another thread, I've relocated to what is practically a foreign land compared to my previous experience. Moving from the South to NE Ohio, I'm absolutely positive I have no idea what I'm doing regarding running up here, outside, during the winter months...which seem to have begun already (43 F high today). I've already been told "get mittens." Check, will do. Running in the snow - I'm lost. I realize we're all different in what works but I'm starting at zero and will have to purchase the majority of the clothes I'll need. Any advice...brands, type, weight - from head to toe - that have worked for you is very much appreciated. I suppose I possess some level of common sense where I could do alright...I just need a gut check.

-

Thanks! 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Imminent Catastrophe

Advice on cold weather running from a guy who lives in Georgia (but I do travel to cold places a lot):

The Buff is an incredibly versatile thing and comes in all sorts of colors as well as merino wool. 

And a really thin, light windshirt is a great thing too. I have one that weighs next to nothing and packs up small enough to stuff in a pocket.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Dog-Love

I think you will get to love that you are a runner in the cold.  As it gets darker up north as well you will love getting out at noon and coming back fresh!

Layers is all I have to say.  I never wear more than one layer on my legs down to 13 degrees F but 3 layers up top and a hat and mitts.  I like my "get a grips" for running on icy trails/roadds but in snow just good old shoes are fine.  Xcountry skiing is also a nice option.

Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)