2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly Check-in 14-19 April (Read 274 times)

Where is everybody this week? I guess everybody is having a week like me. I have been very lazy this week and my mileage and weight are really showing for it. Today is the day though. I am going running whether I feel like it or not. My work schedule is going to be tough for the next month so it is going to be a battle of wills for me. But, this time in my schedule is why I worked so hard to get a mileage buffer on the bunny.

Imminent Catastrophe

I had a good last week, highest mileage since last August and the next two weeks are pretty busy so I'll be cutting back a bit. DW is running the Boston Marathon Monday, I have to be content with the 5k Sunday. Then next week we're on a cruise--I don't know how many laps around the deck I'll be able to tolerate. My attitude is still pretty good, though.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

My self imposed beating was very successful yesterday. I needed to punish myself for my laziness and I was very successful. I did a 10k run with 4 miles of tempo at the fastest pace for that distance by quite a margin. My legs are even sore today from the effort. I had mostly been doing marathon style training and I've been feeling the increase in speed of my recent workouts. That should teach myself to be a slacker!
        AnneCA

I'm here, back in the swing of things after vacation. Did an eight mile run this morning aiming for marathon pace, but I don't seem to have a gear for my marathon pace. That is, I've decided to aim for a 9:40 pace/4:15 finish, but I don't seem to know how to run 9:40 miles. I can run 9:15-9:20, and I can run 10:10, but it's hard for me to hit 9:40. If I look at my Garmin and see I'm doing 9:15 (lap pace), I say "shit! slow down!" and then next time I look at it, I've trended down to 10+. Will I get better at this with time? I figure the answer for that has got to be yes. This is only my second effort at a MP run, and I've got plenty of time. But is it maybe not something to worry about at all? Could my 4:15 finish goal be made up of 9:15 and 10:00 miles?

Imminent Catastrophe

Good run with Daisy. Hit the hills aggressively then ended up with a tough 4x100 hill repeat session. It's a fairly steep hill, about 20-25%. Killer workout! Anne, I think if you just practice more you'll zero in on that pace, it takes awhile.

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

HappyFeat

I'm here. Happy HumpDayBig grin I've managed to run the last 9 days straight: 4 milers with a couple 3's thrown in. My hamstring and back issues are getting better, but I still don't think it would be wise to run any farther until more fully resolved. I have to skip tonight due to a social commitment, but that's probably not all bad. Maybe tomorrow night's run will be markedly better because of the day off. I don't know about the rest of you, but it's the hardest thing in the world for me to skip a day and be at ease with that. I guess I'm just a little bit compulsive about running.Smile

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Imminent Catastrophe

Where is everybody this week?
                I'm wondering the same. This group has been kind of slow lately--c'mon people, tell us about your week, even if it wasn't what you'd hoped for. We still want to hear from you!

I run for Fried Chicken!

Might be a long post so bear with me. I've been feeling really run down this past week, like I'm on the verge of getting sick but never really getting sick. Finally stayed home from work today and slept most of the day, still haven't gotten a run in this week. 2000km isn't going to happen for me this year, I'll be lucky if I hit 1000miles this year. I do have a few legitimate excuses though. My wife is pregnant, haven't posted that before, it's still early, she's right around 3 months but it's been cutting into my running time already. I've been trying to help her out more around the house because she's just been tired. So I'm not expecting my running time to go up anytime soon. I also got offered a new job at a startup which I'm starting at in June but in the mean time, I'm doing work for them as well after my regular job. So I'm working 1.5 jobs with a pregnant wife. So something had to give and running has been it. Weekends have been good though, I figure if I can get 2 runs in on the weekend and 1 during the week, I'll be able to keep up some of my fitness. 2009 has been a crazy year for me so far. It's all good news, but it has been hectic.
                    I did get in a 30 mile week last week. Lately I've been running by feel and my body feels like going a little faster on easy runs (11:30-12:00m/m I KNOW still super slow, but that's pretty good/ fast for me) This week I've planned 25-26. I did half mile repeats on the treadmill on Tuesday at 5K pace (one faster) and felt good, but now my calves are a little sore. I'll move tomorrow's long run to saturday if they are tender in the morning. Thursday is typically my rest day, I think I'll walk for an hour before lunch. Unfortunately my office is hanging out at rock bottom, its more than a little bit stressful. On the up side - Lack of time in the office = more workout time, I'm incorporating some exercises from Core Performance. I've found a "summer" job for basic expenses and right now DH's office is still OK. Aaron - congrats! you're in for a tough but wonderful year - whatever on the miles, rest while you can... Happy Thursday! A

Recalculating...

anneb

I got out this morning before work for an easy 7 - and today was my 60th day in a row running! Shocked I didn't really start the streak thinking that was what it was going to be, but have been taking almost all of my runs super easy and this is where I am, so I might try to keep it going. Physically, have never felt better. AND, I think it is finally getting lighter earlier where I can pretty much plan on getting my weekday runs in outside vs. the gym, so double bonus for me. Ok, Garmin question for you all... (just got a 305 last week) How long should it take to find it's satellites? This morning it seemed like a while (maybe a little over a minute), I am in an urban area, but not super tall buildings or anything. Should I stay put while it finds them? That is not so easy to do since it is still kind of cold in the morning!

Anne

AnneCA

Aaron -- congrats to you and your wife! Anne -- I start the Garmin indoors before I head out. It's never had a problem finding the satellites as it sits on the bookcase while I tie my shoes. If I do start it outside (like if I've driven a while to a trail run), I swear it finds the satellites much faster if it's not on me while it's looking -- not just that I'm holding still, but that it's not on me. So I usually turn it on on and leave it sit on the dash while I get ready to start the run. Russ -- thanks for the feedback on the pacing. I'll just keep working on it.
                        Dutchie42

Oh alright Perfesser. Haven't been posting cause there wasn't much to post. Aaron: congrats!! Great news on the pregnancy. And the new job Smile Anne: I have a Polar, so can't help you. Vertigo is gone, hopefully for good, but next week they'll make a sort of scan of my neck to make sure there are no blockages anywhere and to see how the vertebrae in my neck are cause that's still not going well. I've managed 1 run sofar this week. Tue/Wed/Thu I was hitting the books cause I have to take a test next week that I failed three times already, so I'm now putting the extra time in. I think I'm prepared, but that's what I thought last time I took this test and I failed it anyway. No bike commutes, no strength training either.

Dutchie
                          Run the day, or the day runs you.

Imminent Catastrophe

Now that's more like it! Cool Regular 6.2 today with Georgia on a nice day. Leaving for Boston Saturday, DW is running the Marathon Monday. I'm too slow to qualify so I'll be doing the BAA 5k on Sunday. I may take the subway and run the last few miles of the marathon course before the 5k to get more miles in. It should be fun. Aaron--congrats! Chicago Anne--I have the 405 but the same should apply. It sometimes takes longer depending on satellite geometry. Mine took forever last week in NYC (I was in Central Park, not near buildings). It also seems to matter how long it's been since you last had a good satellite position. Sometimes I put it on a window sill and let it find the satellites while I'm getting dressed to go. One minute is not bad, it depends on how much of the sky you can see. 60 in a row? Wow! Dutchie--glad you're feeling better.

Tapering for a marathon on 4/25 so taking it slow, targeting 20 miles this week. Tuesday was a great run. Just 4 miles, but felt like I could run all day. Heart rate never crossed 142, but wound up running 15 seconds per mile faster than normal easy pace. Wednesday was a disaster. Ever have a day when you feel like you just learned to run the day before? Like someone else's legs are attached to your body? 3 steps in to the run and my heart rate was over 150. Tried to slow down, but it didn't make a difference and every time I'd look down my pace would be a minute faster than plan. I think I was paying the price for running too hard on Saturday. Still, gutted it out and finished the 6. Today was supposed to be 3, but ankle was tender (read: I was lazy) so I'll hit the trail in the morning instead. Feels weird to be back down to distances that can be squeezed into little gaps instead of having to plan the whole day around them. Have a great rest of the week everybody!

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

anneb

Thx Perfesser and Anne - I was thinking since immediately around me is not high rises or anything, it should be faster, but in reality I am super close to downtown. As in, the Sears tower (or whatever they are calling that now Wink)messes with a lot of stuff, it's maybe 6 blocks east of me. And I can't get it in my building - once I get in the elevator, it's gone. No big deal though, I just waited about 30 seconds once I was outside today and it locked on. I haven't lost a signal yet after getting it.

Anne