2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly Check in 13-19 July (Read 392 times)

...---...

MTA: I may be getting a new running partner soon. Atlanta Dobie Rescue has a young male who needs a home.

Awesome! Hope it works out.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

trey - I'll be in Summerville SC on my visits.  I lived there for a couple of years so I'm pretty familiar with the area.  The town has a really nice bike/walking trail that stretches about 6 miles that I spent most of my time on while I was there.  I still have not had the chance to run the new Cooper River Bridge so I might try to work that in while I'm there.  Unfortunately Lynch's Woods is the same day as RNR Va Beach so that one is out.

Russ - Holiday lake sounds like it might be a good fit for me.  It meets all my criteria:  within a days drive, not a repetetive loop and I don't have anything else scheduled then.  It seems like most of the Ultra's that sounded good to me were within a week of Boston.  That just doesn't seem like good planning on their part.

...---...

Easy 4.6 this morning. It was nice out...off to work now.

TGIF!

MTA: you got it Heffa, and best of luck. I've gotta be back in Newport News again pretty soon. Maybe you can point me to some decent running up your way. I hear there's a nice paved trail by the Maritime Museum. 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Imminent Catastrophe

I still have not had the chance to run the new Cooper River Bridge so I might try to work that in while I'm there.  Unfortunately Lynch's Woods is the same day as RNR Va Beach so that one is out.

Russ - Holiday lake sounds like it might be a good fit for me.  It meets all my criteria:  within a days drive, not a repetetive loop and I don't have anything else scheduled then.  It seems like most of the Ultra's that sounded good to me were within a week of Boston.  That just doesn't seem like good planning on their part.

Jeff, Holiday Lake is great, and it's a David Horton race so it attracts some really good runners and is really well-run. I felt like I was in the big-time when I ran there. Also, the Cooper River Bridge is a nice run, with a nice wide path and a great  view of Ft. Sumter from the top.

Had a nice 5.5-mile recovery run today. Legs felt a little stiff but loosened up and felt good. It was a nice change running in cool weather along SF Bay (by the airport, I couldn't get downtown).

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Gig

Trying to take it easy this week, but I had a brutal karate workout on Thursday night. Saturday morning (about 8 hours from now--I should be in bed but I can't sleep) I have my one mile race. I set a post-HS PR last year of 6:49. If I can break that, I'll be thrilled, but I don't think it's likely. My goal for this race at the beginning of the year was six minutes, but I don't like doing speed work, so I'm nowhere near there. I'll push my hardest, though.

MTA: I finished in 6:52. I'll take it.

What a fantastic run.  14 mile group run that kicks off the fall training schedule.  59ºF at the start (nearly a record low for this date) and about 70ºF at the finish.  Plan was to do my normal long run pace (11:45-12) and then pick it up and do 11:00 (target MP) for the last 4 miles.  Wound up averaging 11 for the whole thing, including coming to a dead stop at the water stops.  Last 2 miles are uphill and did them in 10:41 and 9:48.  Felt so good afterwards that as soon as I got home I went out and mowed the yard.

32 miles for the week. I'll step it back a little next week.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

Gig

Brian, I was just about to post that I had a fabulous run. I set out to do 8, but it felt so great, I decided within the first half mile that I'd pick up the pace a little bit so that I could do 10 and still get home when promised.

Then I went back out for one more mile to break in my new Vibram 5 Fingers. They'll take some getting used to, but it was pretty neat.

...---...

easy 8 and some change this morning. The cooler weather really does make a huge difference.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Imminent Catastrophe

Didn't run today. Instead I drove down to Atlanta and picked up my new running partner from Dobie Rescue, a beautiful black and tan:

We named him Taz. Here's the story behind that. Plus there's the history of the Dobermans that went to war with the US Marines and were called "Devil Dogs". Then there's the Warner Brothers character "Taz", the Tasmanian Devil. Heh. 

Just keep in mind, he doesn't know that he looks intimidating. He's just a a scared 14-month-old puppy who has been abused in the past and now he's in a new home.

Here's the back story: Some clueless idiots thought they had bought a Miniature Pinscher, and finally when he hit 75 pounds they realized it was not a MinPin. They continued to stuff the dog into a small crate and neglected him. They finally gave him to a 19-year-old and luckily his father contacted Dobie Rescue. So here he is. He'll need some leash training to be a running partner. But when my wife runs with him, nobody will mess with her!

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

Dutchie42

Perfesser: he's sooooo cute! I'm glad he's got a great home now.

When Spooky can't run with me anymore, I'll get a dobermann. So all those weirdo's I come across don't dare even think about messing with me!

Dutchie
                      Run the day, or the day runs you.

...---...

Didn't run today. Instead I drove down to Atlanta and picked up my new running partner from Dobie Rescue, a beautiful black and tan:

We named him Taz. Here's the story behind that. Plus there's the history of the Dobermans that went to war with the US Marines and were called "Devil Dogs". Then there's the Warner Brothers character "Taz", the Tasmanian Devil. Heh. 

Just keep in mind, he doesn't know that he looks intimidating. He's just a a scared 14-month-old puppy who has been abused in the past and now he's in a new home.

Here's the back story: Some clueless idiots thought they had bought a Miniature Pinscher, and finally when he hit 75 pounds they realized it was not a MinPin. They continued to stuff the dog into a small crate and neglected him. They finally gave him to a 19-year-old and luckily his father contacted Dobie Rescue. So here he is. He'll need some leash training to be a running partner. But when my wife runs with him, nobody will mess with her!

This makes you man of the hour! Congrats!!!

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Imminent Catastrophe

First VO2 max workout of the Pfitz plan. easy 3 mi warmup, 5x800 @ 7:00-7:30 pace w/easy 400m recovery laps, then 1.5 mile cooldown. Gasp. That was hard, I'm not used to running that pace. Lots of work to do!

Then I put on the VFFs and ran 1/2 mile each with dogs, first with the girls then my first run with Taz. He's a good runner, he runs out front, doesn't get in the way (much) and doesn't pull me like Daisy or spin around like Georgia.

Imminent Catastrophe

Russ - Holiday lake sounds like it might be a good fit for me.  It meets all my criteria:  within a days drive, not a repetetive loop and I don't have anything else scheduled then.

There's also the Frosty 50 in Winston-Salem, January 9. I haven't done that one but have wanted to, it looks like a good one.

In keeping with the group norm, I've replaced my cartoon dog avatar picture with a picture of the family dog.  He's my son's Italian greyhound and weighs all of 10 pounds.  That's him doing his patented "I see something much more interesting than you - I don't know what it is, but it's got to be more interesting than you" look.

His name?  Fat Tony

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013