2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly check-in 3/2 - 3/8 (Read 340 times)

Dutchie42

It's March!!! Spring's coming!!! Today I started a new weight training program. It will take me 3,5 months to finish. I weighed and measured this morning. Wonder what the results will be? Did chest/shoulders/biceps this morning. Plus abs. Arms were jello at the end.

Dutchie
    Run the day, or the day runs you.

I did 5 easy miles in the freezing rain today. It seemed like a better idea when I was in the house. It's supposed to be well below freezing tomorrow so hopefully the roads are dry because I''m supposed to be doing intervals.

Imminent Catastrophe

I did 5 easy miles in the freezing rain today. It seemed like a better idea when I was in the house. It's supposed to be well below freezing tomorrow so hopefully the roads are dry because I''m supposed to be doing intervals.
        Jeff-you went out in that? Wow. I just wimped out and put in 4 on the treadmill.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Jill_B

I fly.

My mileage is going to be way down this week. I'm skiing in Colorado and having elevation adjustment issues (not to mention skiing is a bit difficult on the legs and I'm spending hours doing that). But no complaints - I'm excited to be on vacation!

Bring it on.

Dutchie42

Slept in this morning cause I was awake for hours last night. Don't know why. Just woke up for a potty break and couldn't get back to sleep. Missed a 10K run Confused I started this new weight training program and my boys joined me. They always tell me how strong they are. Much stronger than Mom. Well guess what happened. Mom can lift heavier than her teenage boys Bwahahahahaha. Except for some shoulder exercises because of my neck issues. I lifted a whopping 1kg lighter than my boys for shoulders Told them "I may not look the part, but I'm packing some mighty steely muscles underneath that soft flabby exterior" Man, I just shut them up forever I think. Bwahahahahaha.

Dutchie
            Run the day, or the day runs you.

I guess my toughness only lasted that one day. I bailed on my run today. It is supposed to be 10 degrees warmer tomorrow, that sounds a little better to me. Unfortunately my gym was one of the many casualties of the economy and closed last month. My treadmill as an option is gone for the moment.

Imminent Catastrophe

4+ today, split between the dreadmill and outside. Took Daisy to the mailbox to mail a letter. I've also created another category for run type: TOMF, Time On My Feet. Often I just go for a run without having to categorize it. Mileage is good!

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

...---...

2 slow miles and called it quits - outer hip pain is gone but there is a more pronounced pain in the groin area - upper/inner thigh. The good news is the discomfort didn't get worse as I jogged. I'll try again tomorrow. If I can't get in a good run this weekend, I'm gonna need to bounce somethings off the group regarding the marathon on 3/29. Perfesser - since you've run this race before and know the terrain, will appreciate hearing what you think. I swear all of this groin abs hurting strain thing began with all of the coughing I did from my cold. Getting old isn't for the faint of heart. This past fall while brushing my teeth, I had to sneezed. I braced myself in an attempt to keep the bathroom mirror from looking like the a tooth paste massacre had occurred, I strained my back to the point of having to walk funny (visualize Cro-Magnon man with a shorter leg on one side). Hope everyone is having a good week.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Imminent Catastrophe

I swear all of this groin abs hurting strain thing began with all of the coughing I did from my cold. Getting old isn't for the faint of heart. This past fall while brushing my teeth, I had to sneezed. I braced myself in an attempt to keep the bathroom mirror from looking like the a tooth paste massacre had occurred, I strained my back to the point of having to walk funny (visualize Cro-Magnon man with a shorter leg on one side). ...
                    Dang it Trey, I laughed so hard reading this that I pulled an ab muscle while ROTFL. Brushing your teeth is very dangerous! Don't do that any more. And if you do, sacrifice the mirror, it can be cleaned! Big grin About the ING--it's really down to the weather. I did the marathon in '07 and it was very hot and humid that year, which made it really tough. It didn't help that they weren't well-organized and had no sports drink at the aid stations, and a couple of the aid stations were completely absent! We had people running into fast-food restaurants, asking for water and salt. Fortunately I had my own water bottle and gels so it wasn't so bad for me. Still, I died at mile 22 in the heat and the homestretch run down Peachtree. In '08 I did the HM and it was cold and windy. They had worked out the logistical problems and everything was well-organized. Especially considering they had tornadoes (yeah, tornadoes in March!) which caused a last-minute change in the expo and finish line. The course is a really nice tour through Atlanta neighborhoods, with the Dogwoods in bloom it's beautiful. It's almost constant rolling hills, but that's not a bad thing. For the most part they aren't big enough hills to wear you out, they are just enough to change your stride a bit so you don't get repetitive-motion fatigue like you would get on a really flat course. There's just a couple of real hills but they aren't a big deal. You know how to run rolling hills--conserve your energy on the climbs and glide down the descents--you won't have any problems with ING. I think if you cut back a bit and don't aggravate your injury you'll be OK, you've done the endurance work so fitness isn't a big issue. You'll be fine!

...---...

Brushing your teeth is very dangerous! Don't do that any more. And if you do, sacrifice the mirror, it can be cleaned! Big grin
                      I know, right? Anyway, I'm sure it's not a hernia, or stress fracture. Massaging the upper/inner thigh area makes it feel better there is absolutely no pain when I poke, prode, and push on the areas. I suspect I'm stretching out what may be effects from my old nemesis...........drum roll................ITBS. I started the foam roller again last night and can already tell a bit of an improvement. So, back to the old routine: Aleve 2X's day, ice, ice, and more ice, foam roller, stretching 2 times per day, and pull back on mileage a bit. And then we drink a nice beer. Cheers.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

AnneCA

Trey -- I hope it gets better for you quickly! Your plan sounds good. I have had ITBS that shows up as outer hip pain; it still flares up sometimes when I'm being dumb. Heffa -- too bad about your gym. I started to have concerns about mine, which is in an office tower in the SF Financial District, last week when it was raining and there were plenty of treadmills available at lunchtime on a Monday. That's not right. I don't even think I saw a big new year's resolution bump at the start of the year. Dutchie -- way to go putting your boys in their place! Cool I'm tired of getting rained on. I know we were, and still are, facing a pretty serious drought here, but sheesh! Maybe it could just not rain between 6 and 7 am on weekdays, 6-8 on weekends? Too much to ask? Today it was actually sunny and raining at the same time on my morning run. Confused I'm about to officially start the marathon training for SF. Which is a little odd, because every schedule I look at, I'm already at least a couple of weeks up the ramp. But I don't want to lose track of where I need to be and how much I need to be adding. I'm doing design-your-own on the schedule, borrowing from a couple different just-finish type programs (it being my first marathon). Any thoughts on cutback weeks? Yea or nay? I dont' feel like I need them now, but maybe as I start to add more miles, I'll want them. Although, also, over the next four months, I know I'll end up with some anyway just because life happens.
                          Anne- Your last statement pretty much sums up my thoughts on any kind of cutback weeks. I've found that they happen all by themselves for various reasons. Sounds like Runner67 is having one of those at the moment. Good luck with the training. Runner67 - I've been having a similar sounding groin pain for the last couple of weeks. I've given up on any kind of core training and just trying to rest it. I can only feel it a little when I run, but a lot when I'm doing core. Seems like it is helping already. My mileage is still good but I'm feeling the difference in my abs. I had a little bit of a rough interval run today. Not sure why. The weather was pretty nice 40 and sunny. I think it was mostly that I ate lunch too close to the run. I just felt bloated. I'm working 4 PM to midnight this week so that probably messes me up too.

Imminent Catastrophe

Anne, glad you're in the SFM. I love that race, it was my first Marathon. For some reason I always remember the smell of sourdough from the Boudin Bakery on Pier 39 (around mile 3). Then a skunk at mile 4. Heh. And all the people walking down Market Street to the start at 4:30 a.m., it looked like a zombie movie! And of course the Bridge in the fog with the foghorn blasting. Wish I could join you and Trey! BTW that's the SFM start/finish in my avatar. Had a very nice run today. DW and I took the dogs to Chickamauga National Military Park. For you non-US types, it's the site of a major battle of the US Civil War (known as the War of Northern Aggression here in the South) in September 1863. Anyway it's a beautiful place with quiet roads winding through all sorts of monuments, plaques and cannons, and the ghosts of the fallen soldiers. Two really nice races are held here, the Chick Chase 15k and the Chickamauga Marathon. So we took the dogs for a 4.5 mile loop, it's a good thing they were on a leash as they would have taken off after the many deer. Then I did another 7.5 mile loop for a total of 12. I felt pretty good all the way. Yay! MTA: About cutback weeks. A good plan will alternate hard/easy weeks and ease off a bit after a hard week for recovery. That's a good thing. By "cutback" I assume you mean a really easy week. At some point you may feel yourself getting chronically fatigued or sore, that's the time to take a cutback, meaning an unplanned easy week. IMO it's like money in the bank, only to be used in a crisis. And BTW I'm a big fan of the training plan that's a composite of various plans, tailored for your own needs. It bugs me when someone says "OMG, I was supposed to run 12 miles today in week 8 of my 20-week training plan but I only did 10! Should I pull out of the race?" People, it's a guideline, it's not a nuclear missile launch checklist. It's OK to ad-lib a little!

The Bunny is almost on the second page now!!! Let's Go..... Pontiac Happyfeat Yapper Dutchie I know you can catch the Bunny!
                              HappyFeat

Thanks for the boost of encouragement! I'm tryin'! I added an extra mile tonight and did 6 which almost brought me up to that pink devil. I'm bummed though because lately every time I add a mile to a planned distance, I get some pain that makes me feel like it was a huge mistake that may cost me in the next few runs. Tonight was no different.Sad Still I'm making progress.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.