2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly Check in Aug 10 - Aug 16 (Read 399 times)

...---...

Massage after work - no running today.

Russ - meant to mention this Saturday. At the 7K trail race I did, a guy was running in the 5 fingers (blue colored). I chatted with him for a bit about them. He said he runs in the 5-fingers more than his running shoes now. After, I checked in on him - no problems. He was a bigger guy and mentioned that he had back pain like hell but since running in the 5-fingers, his back pain was practically nonexistent.

I've been tight in my lower back these past couple months - maybe these would help me? What's your take?

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Imminent Catastrophe

I haven't run enough in the VFF's to say but I can say that I used to have a very stiff back after long runs, and I don't get that now. I attribute that to mid/forefoot running, I think there's less shock going up my spine and I have a better spinal alignment too (I have scoliosis) when I run that way. Of course, changing from heelstriker to mid/forefoot striker is a long process and I did have achilles tendon issues for awhile. 

I also took a suggestion from the barefoot running user group and sometimes start off a longer run with a couple miles in the VFFs and I really think it helps me get the right form, otherwise I feel awkward for the first few miles. 

I think I could get a lot of the same benefits from mid/forefoot striking in "minimal" shoes (like Inov-8) but the VFF's really seem to force me to run with better form.

Today was a day off. I was glad.

MTA: Vibram is coming out with a "trail" Fivefingers model next month, with more aggressive tread and leather uppers. Barefoot Ted has beta-tested them and says they're really comfortable. I might just need me some.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

...---...

MTA: Vibram is coming out with a "trail" Fivefingers model next month, with more aggressive tread and leather uppers. Barefoot Ted has beta-tested them and says they're really comfortable. I might just need me some.

Same here - I mean anything tested by Barefoot Ted...

How'd you like "Born to Run", btw? 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Imminent Catastrophe

Same here - I mean anything tested by Barefoot Ted...

How'd you like "Born to Run", btw? 

Glad you asked. The audiobook is on my iPod Shuffle and I listen on my long runs. I'm only about 1/3 of the way through but wow, what an incredible, inspiring story! It makes the miles just fly by.

BTW Caballo Blanco now has a web site and is on Twitter. There's something funny about that. Something tells me he won't sell out.

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

Less than 2 miles behind the Bunny!

With 43- 45 scheduled will blow by the furry beast and not look back

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

Imminent Catastrophe

I forgot to mention, All the injuries I've had in the last few months happened when I was wearing "motion-control" shoes. They are now retired.

...---...

Go Robert!

I can't believe Caballo Blanco is on Twitter - it has to have been been set up and maintained by someone else. 

Took another rest day today. Still sore in a few places from this weekend's runs. 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Dog-Love

Ran 3.7 with JJ and Rusty around the lake.  Hilly and slow.  Think I'll take a day off today and think about buying some new running shoes.  Not brave enough for the VFF. 
                  Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

Imminent Catastrophe

VO2 workout today, on the treadmill. I'm just tired of the heat, plus now school has started so I can't use the track on schooldays. 8 miles with 4x800m and 1x1200m @ 7:00-7:15 pace, 400m slow recovery intervals. I actually felt fairly good today.

...---...

VO2 workout today,

Didn't you just unintentionally have one of those?

BTW, nice photo @ Deadwood in the MM Newsletter.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Imminent Catastrophe

Didn't you just unintentionally have one of those?

BTW, nice photo @ Deadwood in the MM Newsletter.

Heh. Yeah but 11:30 miles aren't what I had in mind!

I just had to get me one of those red MM shirts after seeing Aaron wearing that.

...---...

Registered for Disney's Goofy Challenge today. Thats the half and the full marathon saturday and Sunday respectively. Sheesh, Active.com raped me on the fee. I mean, Disney's reg fee is high enough as it is. Well, it's on my list of marathons to do before I die...so what the heck. It's only money and you can't take it with you...

Hey, where's Dutchie and how's her training going?

MTA - Russ, When I qualify, I'm gonna get a red one too. Definitely looks good. 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Imminent Catastrophe

Registered for Disney's Goofy Challenge today. Thats the half and the full marathon saturday and Sunday respectively. Sheesh, Active.com raped me on the fee.

??? I thought Goofy's Challenge was already full. Oh well, I'm planning for another race anyway.

+1 on Active.com. I'm really getting tired of them, when mail-in registration is offered I always use that. And when it isn't, I email the RD and ask them to offer the option.

26. BuckeyeChamp
                              769 Mi

Pace Bunny
                              760.7 Mi

See you Bunny!!!

Last night was 1 mile down but Bunny was looking tired....he knew I was coming.  11 miler this morning put me comfortably ahead by 8.3 miles.

Not too bad as was like 40 -50 behind a few weeks a go.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

Imminent Catastrophe

MTA - Russ, When I qualify, I'm gonna get a red one too. Definitely looks good. 

Yep, getting a long sleeve and a short sleeve. Hey, if you time it right, maybe you could be MM2000. 1999 or 2001 would be cool too.

Nice job Buckeye! It feels good to stomp the rodent.

Decent 12.5 today, combination treadmill (pouring rain in the morning) and outside, 1 mile with the dogs. Due to the rain it was a little cooler, and felt better. Very, very humid though.