2000Km-1243 mile club

July - summer heat (Read 402 times)

Good work on the volunteer stuff Brian...

Had a quiet start to last week.  I'm a member of a my workplace industrial rescue squad, and we had our annual week-long refresher training. So lots of hard work throwing people off buildings (in a stretcher of course), finding people in smoke filled rooms and rescuing others from confined spaces.

Didn't feel like any running until Friday when I managed a 10km cruise.  Then on Sunday went and did a 28km trail run.  Been a bit wet over here lately so part of the trail was under water.  Ended up with cold wet feet and socks full of sand.

Still, it was fun.

Glad to see you back running PerfesserR

Nice run Happy.  Go easy on the hammies Ayola. Hope the knee is improving Heffa

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Happy - congrats on the 16, I knew you could do it.  What's next?

I'm still just trying to keep my fitness up with yoga and biking and waiting for the knee to give me the OK.  I have good days and bad ones but still just enough of a nagging pain to let me know it's not time yet.  I decided I needed to get some "long runs" in so I bumped up the long ride on my bike to 25 miles yesterday.

We traveled to DC last Thursday to take our pet rat for surgery.  We took the time while that was going on to travel into DC and tour a bunch of the
      Smithsonians.  Of course it had to be about 100F while we were there but we still had a great time.  We went to the Air and Space, Art, Natural History and American History museums.  We probably ended up walking about 12 miles so I think that counts as a workout.

Then on the way home we stopped at a BMW dealership to check out their inventory since we didn't like what the local dealers had and ended up buying one.  Not the kind of thing you would associate with an impulse buy.  We didn't want to spend a lot of time there since we had a sick rat in the car and it was 100F again.   So we walked in, said what we wanted, he showed us the car and we said "we'll take it".  The salesmen was rather shocked.  Then we spent all day Saturday driving back to the dealership and doing all the paperwork.

It was definitely an action packed weekend for me!

Imminent Catastrophe

Cool! What model? I drive a 335ci. Love it.

I hope the rat is OK!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

The rat is doing great.  She is sooo happy to get that big mean tumor off of her.

The car is a 535i, ultimate driving machine is right, that car is sweet.

HappyFeat

8 miles tonight on legs still tired from Saturday's LR, despite yesterday being a Rest Day.  Tomorrow is another Rest Day due to a meeting and that is probably for the best.

Congratulations on your new car, Jeff, and the positive outcome for your pet rat. Sounds like  a fun trip all round.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Good mileage, Happy.  I checked the YTD distance and learned that you had passed me.  Don't rest on your laurels, though, 'cause I've started my comeback.  2 miles Sunday, 2.3 yesterday.  All on the treadmill, all with as much walking as running (although I did do .2 miles continuously yesterday).  May give the road a shot tomorrow, but I'll still be Gallow-walking for a while.

Jeff, thanks for letting us know that our nation's capital is THE place for rat surgeons.  I never would have guessed.  And congrats on the car (I guess those long shifts do come with some privileges).

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

I was going to start with "Yay rats!" but I've reconsidered... I hope your pet is feeling better.

Anyhoo, 6 miles today at a nice pace today. I kept up with a group that caught up with me on the boardwalk for a mile or so, going slightly faster then my HM race pace. Hammies seem better, still stretching. Weirdly cool here for the next couple of days - around 50F this morning. Definitely a bit tired/ hungry now that I'm back on schedule.

A

Recalculating...

Rat surgery.....impulse BMW purchases....I'm speechless Smile

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Imminent Catastrophe

Rat surgery.....impulse BMW purchases....I'm speechless Smile

Just another day in the 2 Million Meter Group!

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

HappyFeat

Good mileage, Happy.  I checked the YTD distance and learned that you had passed me.  Don't rest on your laurels, though, 'cause I've started my comeback.

Glad to hear it! I'm sure you'll be way ahead of me before long. I feel like I'm at my max about now.

4 miler last night.  Minor little aches during the run but the knee actually feels good today.  I'm very encouraged!  Now I just have to not go crazy and hurt it again.

HappyFeat

That's terrific that your knee is so much better, Jeff. Sounds like everyone is on the mend. So happy to see that.

MTA: 8 miles tonight. After a 3-mile warmup, ran 4 miles at goal pace of 10 mpm, then 1 mile cooldown. It wasn't easy, but was doable.  Tired all day, so wasn't expecting much out of tonight. Ate a shot block first - those things are like magic!

Imminent Catastrophe

7.5 today, my longest run since May, on the Wildwood Trail in Portland on a beautiful day, it felt so good cruising down the trail where I got injured 5 weeks ago. I've definitely lost some fitness but didn't do too badly considering. I still can feel my ankle and heel talking to me but it's under control now. 

11km trail run on Wednesday, 12km road run Thursday, 3km trail run with my boy on Friday (he loves the exploring part...thinks he is Indiana Jones :-) )  Then today went for a 30km run on the Road.  Felt good, tinkered with my fuelling plan and managed to got through a peanut butter and jam sandwich, 1 banana, and 6 pineapple lumps.  Do you Nth Americans get pineapple lumps?  They are great.

Glad to see you are hitting the trails again PerfesserR, and you are back as well Heffa, good news about the rat :-)

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

Very nice Long Run for you today pukekura!  pineapple lump?? not sure - maybe - There's a trail mix I like that has dehydrated pineapple cubes in it that are kind of sugary. Are they like that? I'm sure something like that would give a great energy boost on a long run.

Nice LR for you too, PerfesserR.  Enjoy the ride, as they sayCool