2000Km-1243 mile club

New Year, New Possibilities (Read 13 times)

HappyFeat

Great news, Jeff! Took a page outta Ed Whitlock's notebook, eh? Don't do anything special. Just rest and wait for the problem to resolve itself! Love it! Not sure I'll ever be that wise, but it could happen.  Sounds like your relay was a lot of fun.

I had a Big Bonk in my second 20-miler training for the 4/9 marathon and am trying to figure out what to do different for the third and final one on the 25th of March -- and the marathon - yikes!  I've been trying out Tailwind drink along with Hammer gels and I suspect that the drink was not dilute enough (like water) to take the gels with. I planned on one every 45 minutes or so, but in the last hour, they kinda stayed in my stomach and I couldn't gag down another. I got dizzy at mile 18, but kept jogging until mile 20 which I walked nearly all of. I only drank half my Camelback - so about 25 oz fluid? and had 3 gels.  It makes me realize I need to be more detailed about what fueling I do for all my long runs so I can track what has worked well in the past....haven't done a good enough job of that.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

I would not worry too much about your 20 mile bonk. I would call it pretty typical to s have a couple tough runs when you are ramping up. I bet your next one will go much better. I think your analysis is probably correct. 25 oz was just not enough for a 3 hour run. I would definitely try thinning out the mix and trying to get closer to 48 oz down during the run.

HappyFeat

Glad to have the input, Jeff. I'll report back after the next 20-miler on 3/26.   Today's 14'er didn't go so great in the end. For today, I decided to try just water and a couple gels. The second one (Espresso w/caffeine) gave me terrible heartburn and I really fell off pace in the last 2 miles and couldn't get it back. So bummed. When I had gels for that last 20-miler, the third was an Espresso and I couldn't stomach anything after that. So as of now, that flavor is getting kicked to the curb. I sure hope next week's run goes better because that's the final rehearsal for the marathon.

I'm back.  Not sure what I am doing. but its a start :-)

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

Running for Fun is my current phase. Going well so far.

Pretty much the same for me Happy.

Can't remember the last time I "raced" anything

In the last 6 months I have paced a friend for the entire distance of a 66 km, tail-end charlie for a 42 km trail marathon, paced another friend for the final 40 km of a 100 km ultra, and tail end charlie for a 22 km trail/cave/mud run. Interspersed between all that has been very little other running :-(

Also been giving back some more by helping organise the local parkrun in my town. For those that don't know, parkrun is a free 5 km timed run that happens every Saturday, rain or shine.

Coming up, off to Copenhagen and Amsterdam for work. Plenty of running opportunities there.

Are you from Amsterdam Dutchie? If you are we could always head out for an easy run...

Some pics from my last Tail-end charlie mission....22 km - nearly 8 1/2 hours....

Cave Run

Caves at the start

Trail Run

Limestone rock formations

Mud Run

And mud....lots of mud

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff