2000Km-1243 mile club

July - summer heat (Read 402 times)

Dutchie42

Hi guys,

Been gone a whhile. Just lost the love for running..... actually, exercising in general. First time I felt like that in about 34 years. But, have decided that it's time to get my butt back in gear. Eric's training plan feature couldn't have come at a better time Wink Just very short daily runs (have to walk the dogs). I also planned short weight training segments. But they are tentative. My focus is on the running first, weight training second.

Perfesser: sorry to hear you had to back out of Tahoe. Must be very frustrating. 

Heffa; hope you get to stay on a normal schedule from here on!

Happy: very scenic neighbourhood where you live. Love it.

Pukekura: that is one heck of a challenge. I can't even contemplate a 10K at this point.

drPhibes: congrats on the 10 mile PR.

Waves to everyone.

Dutchie
    Run the day, or the day runs you.

HappyFeat

Dutchie's back!   I've been wondering what was happening since you had to drop out of the Vancouver marathon.

Post even if you don't run, ok?

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Imminent Catastrophe

Dutchie's back!   I've been wondering what was happening since you had to drop out of the Vancouver marathon.

Post even if you don't run, ok?

Yeah! Nice to hear from you Dutchie, we missed you. Keep us posted. Yeah, I'm frustrated but can't complain at all. I'm running Peachtree 10k tomorrow, which is really just a big 6-mile-long block party with a little exercise thrown in. It's going to be hot! 

Apparently there's still 6-foot snowdrifts on the Tahoe Rim Trail so it really would have been...interesting. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

Have fun at the Peachtree event, PerfesserR. It's nice to do something to make the holiday different from any other, isn't it? Nothin' special going on here, but I'll enjoy the day off work.

ETA: Met up with my friend Kristin who only runs summer-fall. She's building her mileage for a fall HM; so my run was 9 miles today....a little soon after doing 14 on Saturday, but it was alright.  I think I might tomorrow as a rest day though.

Imminent Catastrophe

I had a blast at Peachtree, it's such a big party, the whole city turns out to run or watch. 60,000 runners! I started off easy to test the ankle and it didn't bother me so kept up a steady pace all the way. It was record heat and very humid. I ran through sprinklers and dumped water on my head, which I NEVER do, and finished in just under 55 minutes. Considering that I have hardly run at all for 5 weeks, wasn't heat acclimated at all, and it's a tough, hilly course I'm very happy with that! I feel the ankle a bit but don't think I did any damage. Also the plantar fasciitis in my left heel is back but I can deal with that. 

I think I'm over the ankle thing and can start cautiously training again. Yay! Big grin

Also, I've changed my avatar back to Toonces. 

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

HappyFeat

I think I'm over the ankle thing and can start cautiously training again. Yay! Big grin

simply over the moon with happiness for you

Hi Dutchie!

Back from a long weekend in Maine, not alot of running last week but we did a couple of lovely hikes in my old neighborhood.

Perfesser - that Peachtree worked its magic - glad you are getting back into it.

Recalculating...

What a good couple of weeks it's been:

Russ is back in action

Dutchie is ready to hit the ground running

Happy is knocking out some killer miles

Brian posting some PR's

Ayola building up some speed

Puke kicking some trails and building to an ultra

Great work everybody!

Welcome back, Dutchie.  Always good to have the "founder" on the board.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

Imminent Catastrophe

Not so fast. The ankle is a little sore after the 10k but I don't think it did any damage. A couple more days and I'll start an easy rehab. I'll be in Portland OR tomorrow and it will drive me nuts to NOT do a trail run there. Anyway for now it'll be the elliptical and easy walk/jog rehab. 

We took Daisy to interview a potential new family member. She's a 13-year old Dobe (that's very old for a Dobe) named Molly whose owner is old and can't care for her any more so she has nowhere to go. Daisy and Molly got along OK so it looks like we'll be giving Molly a good home for the time she has left. We are becoming a dog hospice but that's OK, the poor old girl deserves a good home, she and Georgia can hang out while the other two are out walking/running with us. 

Dutchie42

Thanks for the warm welcome guys Blush

Applied to school again for a bachelor degree in management. Received my books this week and I kinda feel overwhelmed Undecided

Anyways, my runs/workouts will be about 30 minutes a day till I re-established my early morning workout routine. They say it'll take about 3 weeks to establish a routine, so I expect that a month from now I'll be building on the 30 minute runs again. However, I don't expect my long runs to exceed 10 miles and my week volume to exceed 35 kilometers till I have my degree. Which will take 4 years cause i'll be a parttime student.

So far this week I managed 3 short doggie runs, 1 UB and 1 LB workout. None longer than 30 minutes.

Perfesser: good to hear that you enjoyed Peach Tree and that the ankle is much better! That is so nice of you guys to adopt an old dog. Most people won't do that.

Happy: I sometimes miss running with a friend.

Ayola: are you originally from Maine?

Heffa: nice summary you wrote up, but you forgot to include yourself.

drPhibes: what's next on your list?

Dutchie
                        Run the day, or the day runs you.

HappyFeat

10 miles this morning on my "rolling hills route." Thankfully no problems from the twinges I had after last Wednesday's speed workout. I ran again with Kristin who says she's willing to run slow, but keeps edging up the pace. Even though it happens to be a (faster) pace I'm comfortable with, my intention for today was to stick around 11 mpm. Oh well, it's all good.

A few days ago, someone pointed me in the direction of mcmillanrunning.com - It has a step-by-step guide to help you/me design our own training plan! It has a lot of info about the purpose of your different runs, what they do for you, and why specific paces are beneficial for achieving your goals.  You begin with a calculator tool where you enter a recent race time (or in my case, my goal  time for my next HM) and it spits out a breakdown of all the different pace ranges you should run for all the different types of running workouts to achieve your goals. It's amazing and verrrry FUN!  He gives you a worksheet to use with the website and work out the basics of your plan - OR you can pay him the Big Bucks to do it for youWink

This is where I came up with my 11 mpm pace for today. According to the calculator, my long run pace is supposed to be 11-11:30 as I build my distances. I can do that! On the other hand, my speed workouts are supposed to be a lot faster than I've attempted.  For example a tempo run pace for me is supposed to be 9:30 - 10 mpm range. Yeah, right! I've been doing good to hit 10:20! Of course I'm oversimplifying it. But McMillan says on the website if you follow his recommendations for the pacing of your workouts, you optimize the benefits and meet your race goals. So I'm going to be very busy designing my plan! I'll keep y'all posted! 11 weeks to my September HM!!

Welcome back Dutchie.

I've been struggling with a cold this week.  Managed a 12km earlier this week, then started feeling like crap on Saturday.  So threw in a 6.5 tempo run in torrential rain to loosen the snots. Seemed to work.

This morning the daughter was looking a bit stir crazy, so put her in the wheelchair and took her for a 6km walk / jog into town and back. Dodged a few thunderstorms (luckily) and got joined by my son for the last km. Not easy to run with the wheelchair, might have to invest in a special jogging stroller.

Then this afternoon went for another 12km run, still plenty of snot rockets, but definitely better.

Rubbish weather here at the moment, so hard to convince myself to get out the door for a run.

Have a good weeek all.

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Dutchie: I'm originally from New York City but my (Canadian) hubby and I moved to Maine in 2002. I loved it there and consider it my second home. Unfortunately the economy did not love us, so we picked up and moved to Halifax almost 2 years ago (seems like yesterday) Its still kinda close, about an 8 hour drive, so we visit when we can.

Pukekura: Feel better, I'm familiar with "snot running"

Happy: Just checked McMillan and I'm on target for a 11:15-12:15 long run pace today. Hopefully more on the 11:15 side...Its gorgeous outside so off I go!

A

Recalculating...

HappyFeat

So - can I ask a stupid question here - and not out there?

I'm just getting started using the new Training Plan feature.

Once the day is past - do you delete the Plan entry because the real run entry is now in the calendar? 

There's no purpose to leaving it - right? or is there?