2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly check in 14 -20 June (Read 502 times)

A day late and a dollar short!

Inspired by all of the speedy people - I did 5 minute intervals around Citadel Hill this morning - its a 1K loop - ending up around 9:30 m/m pace. 5 miles with warm up/ cool down. I'm pretty happy about that.

Happy Tuesday, A

Recalculating...

Just a dude.

still resting my hamstring...  It's slowly getting better...

sigh...

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Imminent Catastrophe

Another elliptical day, 30 minutes hill program. Then 1 mile on the TM, still feeling OK. Fingers crossed. I'm glad I stopped running after the injury and didn't make it worse.

MTA: Well, it looks like I'll miss Peachtree. Everyone wants July 4 off and my employer decided that I would not get it. Dang, first time in many years I've missed the big 10k party. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Just a dude.

Well... slowly and cautiously I ran 1.5 around the park...

Hamstring is way better, but not all there... Its pretty much pain free at 10minute/mile pace... but much faster than that and it starts to complain...

I've already signed up and paid for the race Saturday... I think I need to mentally just figure I'm gonna jog it, get the T-shirt, and enjoy... Racing probably won't be an option...

Hope all is going well for you guys...

-Kelly

Dutchie42

With this serial rapist not caught yet, I changed my routes slightly to avoid the first and last 800 meters of my usual route. It's a pretyy overgrown bikepath. The new route adds close to 1.5 kilometers to my loops. So instead of 7K I ran nearly 8.5K this morning. I was slow, but steady and it felt real good.

Dutchie
            Run the day, or the day runs you.

Imminent Catastrophe

I've already signed up and paid for the race Saturday... I think I need to mentally just figure I'm gonna jog it, get the T-shirt, and enjoy... Racing probably won't be an option...

Hope all is going well for you guys...

-Kelly

Yeah, I'm on  my way to Alaska now (love the inflight internet!) pondering walking the 5-miler on Saturday. It's a shame to go all the way to Anchorage and not do the race at all. I can walk 5 in this boot pretty easily (I've done 1h15m on the elliptical). 

Be careful Dutchie. Are you allowed to carry pepper spray there? 

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

Dutchie: What is a kubotan?

Guys: Easy does it.

Me: 5 today at a nice pace, yesterday I tried a spinning class for the first time. It was a great workout I can really feel it in my hamstrings and my bum.

A

Recalculating...

Dog-Love

Yeah, I'm on  my way to Alaska now (love the inflight internet!) pondering walking the 5-miler on Saturday. It's a shame to go all the way to Anchorage and not do the race at all. I can walk 5 in this boot pretty easily (I've done 1h15m on the elliptical). 

Be careful Dutchie. Are you allowed to carry pepper spray there? 

Go for a walk on the Tony Knowles trail...very pretty on Cook Inlet.  Come down to Juneau!!!!

Perfessor...I am probably going to SF and not running the marathon there.  Oh well.  I will definitely watch my daughter finish the half though.  Today I am making an appointment with a foot doc becfause the top of my foot feels horrible after anything longer than 8.  Maybe its shoes maybe its my damn bunyon toes.  Need to figure it out because I have never had problems before.

Had a slow 12-miler yesterday and saw a black bear and a beaver.

Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

Imminent Catastrophe

Go for a walk on the Tony Knowles trail...very pretty on Cook Inlet.  Come down to Juneau!!!!

Perfessor...I am probably going to SF and not running the marathon there.  Oh well.  I will definitely watch my daughter finish the half though.  Today I am making an appointment with a foot doc becfause the top of my foot feels horrible after anything longer than 8.  Maybe its shoes maybe its my damn bunyon toes.  Need to figure it out because I have never had problems before.

Had a slow 12-miler yesterday and saw a black bear and a beaver.

I'm hoping to recover sufficiently to run Humpy's in August, that runs partly along the Tony Knowles trail I think.

Ugh, those were my symptoms. I hope you don't have what I have. I'd love to get to Juneau. Sorry you won't be able to run SFM, it's such a nice race.

The 2 Million Meter group seems to be experiencing a rash of injuries 

Dutchie42

We seem to have a lot of injuries going round. Would that be cause everyone's ramping up the mileage because of nice weather and race season? Everyone take care and let the injuries heal.

Ayola: a kubotan is a small self-defense "weapon". It's small, but can inflict a lot of pain when used properly. I've had one class in how to use it about 2 years ago, back when weirdo on bike seemed to be following me around. That is, he always showed up where and when I was running and hid in the bushes once.

Here's a pic

http://www.tbotech.com/kubotans.htm

Here's a youtube link to show you how you could use it. Believe me, it hurts!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRegch0Nm30

Perfesser: pepper spray is illegal overhere, but my kubotan actually has a pepper spray canister hidden in it. I just don't feel confident using it: wind direction and stuff.

I ran a short 3.25K yesterday and because I was on the internet way too long, didn't have time for anything else (it's a x-training day).

Today was a 7.6 kilometer easy run with Spooky only. It was pretty chilly out there and very windy. Even started raining. It was only 9C this morning.

Tomorrow I'm hoping to get a 10 miler in. My first since the surgery. 10 miles always is a kind of milestone for me. It's like, that's when long runs really start to be long runs and I need to be more food and fuel conscious

Dutchie

Dutchie: So you are secretly a ninja!  ... on  a serious note, please be extra cautious until that situation is resolved.

Me: Yesterday 30 minutes weight training + cardio, today easy 3, tomorrow 10 miles. I also haven't run 10 since my race about a month ago. Just one 2 hour run this month and one next month. 

I'm still in my rebuilding/ cross training phase until the end of July (12 weeks to race date). No injuries, just toning up with a trainer (hopefully) and adjusting to the Canadian heat, ha ha.

There's a great thread going here  I really enjoy reading jimmyb and nobby. I'm no where near where these guys are at physically or mentally, BUT It is inspiring me to build my daily runs to 1 hour (5-6 miles for me) and then incorporate 90 min and 120 min runs. I'll probably substitute a run for a spin class once a week.

Have fun in Alaska gang, A

Recalculating...

Yesterday I did a fun swim in the local river with another tri friend.  Today I did 20 mile bike followed by a 3 mile run.  My mileage for the year is really lame, but I'm really enjoying this cross training thing.  I feel like I'm in great shape, I am completely injury free and most important I look forward to my work out each day!  Tomorrow is supposed to be another scorcher here in the southeast (close to 100F), think I'll head to the beach for some more open water swimming.

Imminent Catastrophe

Ended up walking the 5.6-mile Mayor's race today wearing the boot. It occurred to me that I had probably walked 2-3 miles around town yesterday without any problems, plus I paid the registration fee so might as well get the T-shirt. I got  quite a few comments and thumbs-up.

After a few adjustments of the straps and air pressure it was really not uncomfortable. It's a nice bunch of people that walk that pace.

I did make one big mistake, I had to duck into the woods for a potty break and--whoa--immediately got attacked by a swarm of vicious mosquitoes.  Holy crap, there must have been a couple hundred of them, and since I only had one hand free to swat them away...well, you get the picture. Now I have a couple dozen bites on my neck and hands, it's a good thing I had long sleeves and pants on. How do you Alaska people do it? If I come back for Humpy's I'll bring the Deep Woods DEET. 

I got lapped by the Marathon winner (actually they started an hour earlier).

The race was pretty nice overall but the buses were really screwed up, one showed up 30 minutes late for the Marathoners, who had already given up and taken cabs. Our bus was 40 minutes late. Jeez.

Hey, it's a PR in the "9000 meter race" category!  Placed 148/156. Whoo hoo!

Just a dude.

Well today I went to my race...

Warmed up on the course... felt pretty good...  Roughly 2 miles or so...

Started the race... went out easy... Had the token 12 year old kid lead the race for 100 meters, and then we kinda settled in... I was 4th... (4th? crazy... I'm not that fast...)

We got to about a mile in... I'm guessing... no markers... there's a bit of an up hill and I've moved up with 3rd and we are closing in on first and second... I'm feeling great...

At about 10 minutes, I make the turn for the 5k course... everyone else around me goes to the 10k course...  So now I am running alone...

Very alone...

I take it easy the last mile... My hammy is complaining a bit, so I don't want to hurt anything... I stroll in at the end of 5k... 17:49... HUH?!?  no way I was that fast...

Second place comes in over 4 minutes behind me.

I even grabbed a worker and verified I ran the course right...  It has to be waaay short... (I didn't have my garmin... next time I will..)

So I got a win... It felt like barely more than a tempo run, and I got a ridiculous time...  I probably should have been around 20 I would guess...

Oh well... Will probably rest it up tomorrow and then try to work into doing workouts again next week...

-kelly

Dutchie42

Kelly: just be happy with your finish time and don't worry about the course. Congrats!

Another cold, chilly day. It's just not the average June temps these days. Very windy again, so I opted out of running along the dike. Meaning I had to add some mileage somewhere along the route I picked. I did the math in my head while I was running. At the end of my loop I realised I didn't quite run the 10 miles I had planned, but I was close and the 15.6 kilometers I logged will just have to do.

Dutchie