2000Km-1243 mile club

Don't think I should run the marathon (Read 133 times)

Dutchie42

I was doing really well with the training plan. Ran a 30K race on 30 september. Maintained my weekly mileage of 50-60K so I'd have a good solid base when I would ramp it up in January. Still ran 5xweek during the holiday season, but dropped a little mileage and didn't think much of it. Then the new year came around and things started to go wrong. I barely manage 4 runs a week and my weekday mileage should be at least 50K, but it's barely 30K, if that. I let things get in the way (work, friends, kids, renovation, weather, headaches....). The flu 4 weeks ago really messed things up. I missed one long run and it took me 3 more long runs to get back to approx. 30K. I have 6 weeks left before taper. I'm thinking I should maybe do the half instead of the marathon? It's my first and because it's my first I just want to enjoy and finish before cut off (6 hours). Based on my 30K race (3h22) I thought I could finish in sub 5 hours. But with such bad training, I think that's a pipe dream. To be honest, I think the whole marathon idea is a pipe dream right now. Any thoughts?

Dutchie
    Run the day, or the day runs you.

Imminent Catastrophe

Looks to me like you've been pretty consistent, it's pretty normal to miss a few runs here or there and it might even do you some good, mentally and physically. You're putting in the long runs, keep it up for 6 more weeks and you'll be OK. Two or three long (30km) runs would be a good idea, and keep up the weekday runs. Work on your eating/drinking strategy on the long runs too. You're going to do just great!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

jdmcgregor

All business

I'm with the Perfesser on this one. Six weeks before taper means 8 weeks till race (?). I hope you keep pushing it, and get out there and run! Your log looks good. Pick up the mileage for the next few weeks, and then decide (if this is possible, i'm not sure if you've registered yet or when the deadline is...). Worst case scenario, you rock that half!

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." J. Handy

Dutchie42

Maybe I should just continue with the training plan and decide late April. Maybe I'm just letting all that bad weather running get to me? Thanks guys for your input.

Dutchie
          Run the day, or the day runs you.