2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly Check in 13-19 July (Read 392 times)

Dutchie42

Hi guys,

How have you all been? No running for me for almost a week cause I got sick Guess that explains the tiredness. Anyways, went out for a 3K run yesterday, cause I had to walk the dogs and I was feeling better. Darn that was a tough one! This morning was a 5K, and that was a lot easier.

You guys got all your runs in?

Trey: its been unusually warm here. And airco's are not a common thing around here.

Dutchie
    Run the day, or the day runs you.

Gig

I got up late today, so my plan to run to work didn't work out. I had to ride my bike instead, but maybe I'll get in a run this evening. Yeterday's 8 miles turned into 5.5 because (1) at 5.25, I was very near the pool, and (2) adult swim was just about to start.

I need to get some miles in early this week (Monday is usually an off day for me) because I have my one-mile race on Saturday, so I plan to take Friday off.

Hey Heffa, tell us more about the barefoot thing, please. I want to start doing that.

Imminent Catastrophe

9.1 miles on the treadmill today watching Running on the Sun. Best treadmill ever! I was only scheduled for 8 but couldn't stop watching. 3 miles were in Vibram Five Fingers, I'm getting to like them.

MTA: Oh man, what a great movie! Maybe I'll do my next run dragging a tire

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

...---...

Russ - Which model of 5 fingers did you get?

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Imminent Catastrophe

KSO. I wouldn't mind trying out the Sprints, though, in this weather.

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

8 miles of 1200m intervals today at just about max effort.  Wow it was humid out there.  We finally got some needed rain last night and it made for some wet running.

I decided to try barefooting because it just started making sense to me.  I'm not saying that I am going to go barefoot all the time, but learning how to run barefoot just seems like a good place to start if your searching for a good form.  I will probably end up going the way of Russ and just lighten up my shoes considerably, sprinkle in some BF and Vibram runs, and shift to less of a heel strike.

I'm still gradually building up.  I did a .7 miler yesterday and I could have kept going but I'm try to show some restraint and common sense.  (That's a big step for me!)  I don't know why I was so hesitant to try the barefoot thing.  It is really starting to feel natural and I've only been doing it for a week.  I think I made a big breakthrough yesterday because I finally relaxed for the first time and it made a huge difference.  All the advice people give about barefooting is to relax, and I've been like "I am relaxed, what are these people talking about?"  Yesterday it made sense.

Dutchie42

Sun was peeking over the tree line in the east. Dark rain clouds in the west. Beautiful rainbow in between.
                Great 7K run. Two pit stops for Spooky in the 1st 5 minutes. After that it was one smooth continuous run.

Dutchie
                Run the day, or the day runs you.

...---...

Did a quick little 3.5 miler with a buddy who came to visit this week. I was supposed to rest but am feeling a little antsy with the reduced mileage, so getting out felt great. I can already tell there's a lot of bottled up energy wanting to get out. So, I'll rest today or do some light XT and get back to it Wed.

I'm just about finished reading "Born To Run." The author, Christopher McDougall is a big proponent of barefoot running. Also, this on barefooting in health and fitness news. 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Imminent Catastrophe

Did a quick little 3.5 miler with a buddy who came to visit this week. I was supposed to rest but am feeling a little antsy with the reduced mileage, so getting out felt great. I can already tell there's a lot of bottled up energy wanting to get out. So, I'll rest today or do some light XT and get back to it Wed.

I'm just about finished reading "Born To Run." The author, Christopher McDougall is a big proponent of barefoot running. Also, this on barefooting in health and fitness news. 

Discipline Trey, discipline!

I got the audio CD and it's on my iPod, can't wait to listen. Maybe I'll put it on the Shuffle and try it on my long run.

...---...

6.6 this morning. Really had to pull back on the reigns in the first 2 miles - I just wanted to take off. I kept hearing in my head "discipline Trey, discipline!"  Felt like I could have run all day. Anyway, I finally settled down, relaxed, and fell into a nice even aerobic pace for the last 4.6 miles.

Oh, and I registered for a small, local 50K trail event in September. I'm out of control. 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

A couple of easy miles with 1 mile barefoot to finish.  I tried to pick up the speed a little and ended up getting a couple of blisters on my toes.  Guess I need to tweek the BF running style a little.

Trey - I've been looking for a 50K to run in the near future.  Where is your 50K?  I'm in VA but I will be in SC in both July and Sep.

...---...

Trey - I've been looking for a 50K to run in the near future.  Where is your 50K?  I'm in VA but I will be in SC in both July and Sep.

Hef - It's in Newberry, about an hour south of Greenville and/or Spartanburg or about an hour noth of Columbia...small town where I grew up. Here's the link: Lynch's Woods.

You might also find this calendar of ultra's in the South useful.

WHere you gonna be in SC, if you don't mind me asking? I might be able to point you to some decent running while you're here.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Imminent Catastrophe

Jeff, check out the Holiday Lake 50k++, held in mid-February in Appomattox. It's a good one, very well done.

story

(I know that's not the near future, but it's worth a look)

MTA: I'll post the RR here if you're interested.

...---...

Unplanned rest day today - my buddy, who's in to visit this week, decided yesterday afternoon that we needed to see how many 750mL bottles of La Fin Du Monde we could drink on a Wednesday night and still be able to find our individual bedrooms. The answer is about 6.

No sweat. Shift run day to tomorrow and still be fine to run again Sunday.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Imminent Catastrophe

Great 18-miler today. The bridle trails in Central Park are very nice, at least when they aren't muddy. Nice sand/gravel with plenty of shade. I listened to the first two chapters of "Born to Run", what a great listen! It really made the run go by quickly. I kept up a pretty good pace (9:15) with HR staying in the "long run" zone and didn't exhaust myself. I wish all long runs were like this!

MTA: I may be getting a new running partner soon. Atlanta Dobie Rescue has a young male who needs a home.