2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly Check-in: April 19-25 (Read 420 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

Jeff- sorry about your loss, it's always so tough. I don't know if it being so sudden is better or worse. And BTW there's no such thing as a "little bit of a stress fracture". Those things are serious, take it easy.

Dutchie-yes, I took Daisy for 4 then dropped her off (much to her dismay) then took Taz for 5.6. Poor Georgia didn't get to go but she's been a little lame. 

Brian-be careful out there. Roanoke is far enough east so we won't get the really nasty stuff during the race and should be home by the time it hits N. Georgia. Don't carry any metal!

DW and I got interviewed today for a race promotion video, because we came all the way from Georgia to run in Roanoke. They're really trying hard to make this race a must-do and so far I'm impressed, Roanoke is really beautiful and it should be a tough one. Lots of climb.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

Good luck in Roanoke tomorrow, PerfesserR. I looked at the photo gallery on the race website - it looks very scenic. Hope you have a great time (pun intended) and we look forward to your RR.

Jeff! totally in agreement with "NO SUCH THING  as a little bit of a stress fracture."

Boo!  I hope you heal up fast and are back to running pain free.  

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

HappyFeat

Seems like I am always on here complaining about something so I'm sorry in advance but I have to get some stuff out.

.... I thought you might be able to relate.

Jeff, I can totally relate to the first part too because I sometimes feel like I'm the complainer of the bunch. But really this is a kind hearted, supportive group and I don't think we need to overly worry about sharing non-running concerns and asking for help or someone to listen to us. ((Hugs))

Dutchie42

Jeff: sorry about your pet rat. I think you would've felt even worse if you hadn't tried to help the poor thing. Don't second guess yourself.

Yesterday was 45 min UB, 3 kilometer recovery run, and 30 min Plyo workout.

This morning was a 6.868 kilometer doggie run. Spike and Spook took a runner twice and I had to wait for them (stopped the clock). Spike hadn't been out with me since the injury occurred and was really enjoying himself. He must've run at least an extra 1.5K. Then added on a 30 min boxing w/o, incl. abs.

Dutchie
          Run the day, or the day runs you.

Here's an abbreviated race report (that has a dual meaning that will become clear shortly)

My goal was to run 4:30.  However, the CMM course is much harder in the first half then in the second so I was going to do the first half in 2:17-2:18 and then make it up on the flatter second half.  However, the weather plan to divert marathoners at mile 11 if they were behind 4:30 forced me to change my plan. So I started and ran with the 4:30 pace group from the start.  As I expected, this was too much for me.  By mile 8 I was hitting 170 HR (85%) which wasn't a good thing.

Made it to the split in time, but decided to let the pace group go and try to settle in somewhere between 10:30 and 11:00 for the next few miles to recover and get through the last two hills. Then run 10:20-10:30 the rest of the way which would at least allow me to PR.  Hit the half at 2:15:30 feeling good coming of a good down hill.  Trying to hold pace on the next few miles saw my HR back in the 170s again so I dialed it back a little and ran the next two miles at 11:08, slower than I wanted, but what can you do.

On to the last two hills and I was very proud of how I managed them.  Kept my pace steady and slow and kept the heart rate under control.  Coming down the first hill the police warned us that a storm was about 10 minutes away and be prepared to seek shelter.  There was some lightning and a little rain, but nothing major.  Hit the top of the last hill feeling good and ready to settle in and push the last 10K. Down a bridge to the 20 mile marker and feeling good. As I'm going down another runner is coming up and says they've closed the course.  Sure enough, a line of police cars has completely blocked the road and we're directed to the half marathon finish.  I run the last half mile at 5K pace, most of which is the full sprint I do over the last .2.

Time 3:36.something. Distance 20.6 miles.  Brightside: a PR for the three-quarter marathon.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

Brian- Sounds like you've set a new distance.  I think it will be the race of the future...3/4 marathon!  I like it.

I'm not happy about it but I'm staying off the foot.  I think I'm going to focus on some bike and core in my downtime.  Not sure if I'll be ready for my 10K in late May, doesn't look like I will be able to run until at least then.

Thanks for all the support on the rat thing.  I'm slowly recovering from it.  We went and got another rat yesterday.  It feels a little weird getting another one so soon, but it is really for our other rat.  They are so social that they really need to have a friend.

Just a dude.

Kind of a weird end to yer race there... Bummer you couldn't finish the whole thing, but at least it was beyond yer control...  Sounds like an otherwise decent day overall...

I ran a bit over 13 today on parts of courses I hadn't run since high school...  Kind of a bit of nostalgia there...  Was a nice easy run tho, and surprisingly I ran 8:45 pace...

Schedule is going to make next week a shortish week... Gonna do some side work on top of my regular job... 

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Imminent Catastrophe

Brian, sorry about the race being cut off, I guess they had to make sure the volunteers weren't in danger (they already know that the runners are crazy and aren't too worried about them). You did the best you could. Since you're in such good shape, is there a marathon in the next few weeks that you could do? It would be a shame to let all that conditioning go. Hatfields & McCoys is  really nice small race. Just sayin'.

Jeff, I'm serious about the stress fracture. When I had mine my doc said, no weight bearing exercise, that meant no elliptical and no bike even (recumbent bike was OK). It's important to protect the foot and let it heal. 

The Blue RIdge Marathon on the Parkway was very nice, and no problems like sometimes happen in an inaugural. Roanoke is really pretty and everyone is really into it and want to make it a destination race, the hook will be how "tough" it is. We got interviewed on TV because we came all the way from Georgia. And, yes, it is tough. I did the HM and that was hard enough, a couple hard climbs of 500 and 600 feet or so, but it was the two-mile, 900-foot descent from 5 to 7 that really hammered my legs, and they were rubbery for the next mile or two. Then constant rolling hills to the end. It was beautiful, and a really nice view from the overlook at the summit. I ended up with a 2:01:46, including probably about 2 minutes to take some pictures so I was pretty close to 2 hours, and I feel pretty good about it on that course. That was good enough for something like 7 of 25 in AG. I'm glad I downgraded from the full marathon, the HM was enough! It was a really nice medal too. Two thumbs up for the BRPM!

MTA: The coolest thing was the guy running the HM in a gas mask for the Wounded Warrior Project. Yikes.

View from the top:

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Dutchie42

Brian: too bad they cut the marathon short. Like Perfesser said, isn't there another one soon you could sign up for?

Perfesser: great finish time! Congrats!

Heffa: be careful with that foot. Did your doc say you could rid a bike?

Me: I ran THE most scenic route in this area. Today I did a little over 22 kilometers of it. It can be extended to nearly 24 kilometers if I remember correctly. And I ran it way faster than I think I ever did on the road. I don't know what's going on but this month, my average pace per week keeps going down, and my pace this week has been faster than usual too. Is it the hill training? Is it the massage therapy? Is the the CW-X compression tights? I don't know, but something is up.

Here's a link to some pics I took this morning. Hope it works.

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/23163114

Dutchie
                    Run the day, or the day runs you.

Heffa: I'm sorry about the loss of your pet - I hope the new guy will bring the family a bit of joy. Check with the doc about what exercises are on the good list! What about swimming?

Drphibes: You're taking that shortened race in stride - I would be nutters - as I only race 2or 3 times a years. Do you feel like another in 3-4 weeks? OR am I remembering you had a different summer plan...

Perfesser: I checked out the gallery for the Roanoke race too, looks really pretty and warm (its still a bit cold and dank here) How was it in terms of the pollen count?

Dutchie et al: Running 22k regularly? Wow. I guess I need to pump it up!

Finished a 30 mile week and 110 miles this month. Incorporated 45 minutes at race pace into Saturdays 8 mile run.

Gearing up for another 30 mile week - with another loop around the race course - thinking about the practice pace - any thoughts? Adding more races to my schedule.

DH is making home made pizza. Happy Sunday. A

Recalculating...

Got up this morning and drove down to the stadium and ran the last 6 miles of the marathon. Threw my arms up crossing the finish line and everything.  The people tearing down the finish line looked at me a little strangely, but they understood.  Obviously not the same as running the 26 continuously, but I did do sub 10's with progressively faster miles ending with a 9:16, so at least I was tired at the end.  First time I've ever run the day after a 20 mile run and I survived.

I hadn't thought about running a replacement race until Russ brought it up.  Hatfield and McCoys conflicts with vacation so it's out.  Rockford and Cleveland are 5/16 so that would give me time to recover, but money is tight so travel isn't really an option.  So I'm going to let this one go and target St. Jude's in Memphis in December and a half marathon in the fall.  Gonna spend the summer putting on more miles. Realistically, it wasn't the best plan to try and do two marathons in two months. I'm feeling pretty ragged and it'll be good to cut back on miles a little and maybe throw in some more intensity or maybe work on running 6 days.

Ayola - I was nutters when I crossed the line.  Wasn't even going to take my medal, but then I remembered it wasn't the volunteer's fault.  That was what got me over it: all those volunteers who stayed out there in the light rain.  No way I would have wanted them out there in a downpour, much less one with lightning and a storm that had already killed 10 people.

Russ - great job! Sounds like your almost back to full strength.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

Ayola- I did a little log trolling and I have some recommendations on pace.  I know that you are working towards a sub 2 hour half and I think you are on track to set a nice PR at this race.  You may think it sounds a little aggressive but from what I see it looks like you should be shooting for about a 10:00-10:10 pace for this race.   That would give you about a 2:12 time.  From your recent 10K race plus the base mileage you have been putting in I think this is a very doable time.  With that in mind I think your long runs should be a little faster than you have been doing them.  I would recommend 11:10 to 11:25 for your training runs. 

Brian- I had not considered finishing the race.  I think that was a great idea. 

I must confess I have not been to a doctor for my foot.  I think most of you already know that I avoid doctors as much as possible.  It seems like a pretty straight forward diagnosis on the stress fracture, and treatment is pretty standard....rest....ice....rest.....elevation....etc.  Not much more a doctor could do for me but charge me money.  I took it easy yesterday and it still hurts more than the day before so I broke out the crutches today and I'm going to stay off of it completely for a couple of days.  At least I don't have to go back to work until Tuesday.

HappyFeat

Brian that was a Perfect way to complete your race - a really nice way to get a sense of satisfaction out of the whole experience.  Well done!!

PerfesserR The BRPM course sounds quite challenging.  I enjoyed reading all the details. Congratulations for completing such a tough course in 2 hours!

heffa: advice from the local hypochrondriac - go to the doctor! Anyways, I haven't ever specifically stated my goal but I am aiming for 2:15 to 2:20 in this (hilly) race. So I'm targeting 10:15 m/m. The 2hr is probably a 2011 goal unless the 40 mile week works magic this summer. My sleepy 6ers have been falling in the 11:30 11:45 range without much effort. I could try out the long run at 11:30 pace and see how it goes...

Recalculating...

Drphibes: Awesome victory lap

Recalculating...