2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly checkin: 15-21 november (Read 496 times)

Dutchie42

Nice effortless 7.7 kilometers this morning. On another note: Spooky was attacked by a french buldog type dog. Spooky was on leash and it came from behind. The owner didn't do much about. Next time, that poor dog is gonna find out how good my kicks were at TaeKwonDo. For the time being, I filed a report with the police. Not that they'll do much about it, but at least it's on record now.

Dutchie
    Run the day, or the day runs you.

Finished off exercise week with a "progression run" slow pace to 5k pace, plus one hour with trainer back and biceps. I'm under the covers early and looking forward to my rest day... A

Recalculating...

Imminent Catastrophe

Yesterday--6.5 on the treadmill hill program, a good hard workout.

Today--6.2 tempo, another pretty hard run with Daisy. She loves squatting in the creek to pee. 

MTA: I've been having a pain in my right calf for a few days. Not too bad but something I need to monitor.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I'm still chugging away at 20 miles a week.  Just trying to make it through the busy time at work.  6 on treadmill with a 4 mile tempo yesterday.  It's getting harder to run after a 12 hour work day but I have not missed one yet.

HappyFeat

I really admire your dedication to running after working 12 hours, Jeff...to have the energy left over for it!  Although if you just spent a mentally draining 12 hours, it can feel really good to exercise and get the blood and oxygen flowing... helps keep you on an even keel. It's always a balancing act though, isn't it?

PerfesserR, thanks for the Georgia update on the previous thread. I'm relieved she doesn't have a life-threatening condition and is feeling somewhat better now.  The picture of Daisy peeing in the creek is entertaining...she wants to be in the water to do it? I used to have a dog who would only pee on grass. This put her in a predicament if we were in a city with scarcely a blade of grass coming up in a crack in the sidewalk.

calf pain??  massage, stretch, ice, ... report backWink

Dutchie, I'm assuming Spooky survived her attack without injury or you would have mentioned it.  That is one of the most scary things that can happen, believe me, I know. I was running with one of my dogs (Golden retriever) when she was attacked on 3 separate occasions, all in my own neighborhood at the time -  by a pit bull, German shepherd, and a doberman - ONE would have been enough. I had minor injuries in the pitbull incident; she was bit in the face by the doberman, and the shepherd was traumatized because I kicked it in the chest. You're right , the police don't do much; but I made sure the pitbull got relocated. It's just not right to not feel like you can walk your dog or run down your own d***n street...makes me mad.

For my own "bad luck news" unrelated to running, it turns out that when we had sprinklers installed 3 years ago, they destroyed our septic drainfield and didn't think to mention it.Shocked This came to light over the weekend. At least 60 feet of my 100-foot drainpipe has been "disappeared." Shocked  I'm completely dismayed, to say the least. My property is now an Environmental Hazard, my septic system is shut off, and I've written checks for almost $1500 in the last 2 days just to get the process going towards the installation of a new drainfield. Yes the insurance company for the sprinkler outfit says they will reimburse us. When it's all done, we're supposed to send in our receipts; but I won't feel secure in that until I get the money back. On top of that, the forecast is for snow showers and we've already had a big windstorm this week, so my future drainfield area  is covered in douglas fir branches and debris. I haven't been able to clear it since it's dark when I get home; so I hope they can do it. 

Well I'm off to the treadmill now.Smile

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Oh dear Happy... I hope all of that septic repair goes well. Also you are right, exercise always helps me "get through" a long office day. Although, I've been working hard - I haven't gotten up to 12 hours per day!!!  (maybe around 10 and not today, its Friday, working tomorrow tho).

Jeff - take care of yourself.

I ran a nice easy warm 6 miles yesterday, today I'm doing a circuit with the trainer and tomorrow I'm planning on 8 in the first snow of the season. I'm prepared - bought some warm tights with the thigh wind break last month on sale and just got new Mizunos.

A

MTA: Happy - which Brooks do you wear? I'm only 70% happy with my Brooks Ghosts 2

Recalculating...

It was my day off today and I decided to a little half marathon race against myself.  Well, technically it was open to all takers but nobody else showed up.  I figure, who needs official timing mats, bibs, and water stops to have a race.  I fueled up, warmed up and toed the line just like the real thing and I was off.  I managed to finish first in my AG and first overall with my 3rd fastest half marathon time ever and bettered my official time from 2 months ago at Rock n Roll by over a minute.

HappyFeat

bought some warm tights with the thigh wind break last month on sale 

MTA: Happy - which Brooks do you wear? I'm only 70% happy with my Brooks Ghosts 2

Ok I have no idea what a thigh wind break is - unless  you mean special wind blocking material on the quad area??

Interesting if so - I never heard of that.

I wear Brooks Addiction which I'd say is for serious overpronators. While my left foot is fine, my right foot is the Problem Child and is why I need these shoes, along with my orthotics.

MTA:

Way to have some fun, Jeff! Congrats on your great resultsBig grin

Dutchie42

It was my day off today and I decided to a little half marathon race against myself.  Well, technically it was open to all takers but nobody else showed up.  I figure, who needs official timing mats, bibs, and water stops to have a race.  I fueled up, warmed up and toed the line just like the real thing and I was off.  I managed to finish first in my AG and first overall with my 3rd fastest half marathon time ever and bettered my official time from 2 months ago at Rock n Roll by over a minute.

LOL, love the Rr HeffaJoking

Happy: Spooky wasn't injured, but definitely traumatised. She's never been attacked before. She only knows happy well-adjusted dogs. Running with Spike today boosted her confidence again. I'm not sure I know what you mean by sceptic drainfield. I'm a city girl you know Smile But I do understand about the cost and the inconvenience/annoyance.

Ayola: I'm with Happy, what's a thigh wind break something? Is that specifically for colder climes?

Nice run. Spike and Spook were at their best behaviour, though Spooky was pulling me like crazy. I'm starting to think that's why my L-hip is tight and at times even painful. I've decided to go buy a new gentle leader. Or should I try one of those harness type things? Does it stop her pulling?

Added on an aerobics HiiT w/o (lots of jumping). Even managed to do all squat thrust jumps for the first time.  And a 22 minute core w/o. Couldn't do all the planks at the end. My shoulders got really tired, really quick.

ETA: my screen is playing tricks on me again. The bit about today's workouts shows up in really big font on my screen. If it does for you too, that's not my intention.

Dutchie
                    Run the day, or the day runs you.

Just about to get up for the 8 miles (-5 degrees!) hard to do I've got the covers all to myself. Yup, the tights have the nice extra soft material over the quads with that nylon type material over the area - I made up my own terminology. Christmas parade in Halifax today - hopefully in a light pretty snow - happy Saturday.

Recalculating...

HappyFeat

Dutchie: My screen display is normal. Sorry yours is acting up. 

I had success running with the harnesses on my two dogs. Only one tended to pull sometimes and the harness gave me more control. If the "gentle leader" is the thing that goes around the nose, then I know lots of people who swear by those. I guess you'll have to see what works - or dare I say - spend some time teaching her you really are the alpha in your pack Smile since that's the source of the problem according to dog trainers. 

The septic drainfield is a specially designed area that all the wastewater from your house is piped to underground and dispersed into the soil. So without that, we had the tanks emptied which we were told would give us about a week's worth of wastewater storage if we limited our water use to very minimal. That plan worked out fine and the weather has been lovely all week. So, as of last night, my new drainfield is in place and functioning - yaay for that!  (Now I can take a bath and shave my legs!!)  The sprinkler installation people are supposed to come out on the 29th and reroute the sprinkler pipes - about 12 of  which have been pulled out of the drainfield area and are sticking straight up in the air. I'm getting ready to go to the post office and mail my receipts to the tune of $7000 to their insurance company....hope they reimburse me quickly.

I finally made it to the front page of the YTD list!

Imminent Catastrophe

Dizzy Fifites 50km trail run today in Huntsville, AL. I started the last loop (of 3) at just over 4 hours, figured I had a chance to run under 6 and ended up with a 5:48, with an assist from Starbucks Doubleshot Espresso. 

Even better, it's my first ultra in over 3 years, and a 50k PR by 32 minutes. Yay! Not bad for a geezer!

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

HappyFeat

Hearty Congratulations to both you guys!

I just finished my first 35 mile week -- pretty pleased about that.

Imminent Catastrophe

Well, I've had some problems with my left calf, some swelling and bruising and a little pain, so am taking a few days off to "taper" for my race next weekend. Plus, I got a sinus infection, cough, sore throat, etc. and all the misery that entails so it's rest for  few days.

Happy-nice job with the 35 miles. You're very consistent!

Heffa, nice job on the "solo" HM--that's not easy getting a fast time like that.