2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly Checkin Aug 3 - Aug 9 (Read 402 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

...exactly 30 days till my 50K...

Oh, I just re-read my RR from the Hitchcock Woods 50k. I really want to do another Terri Hayes race. Hopefully next year I won't be so focused on BQ. Training is going pretty well but I had a lot more fun when I was just running a lot.

BTW do you have trail shoes Trey? You probably don't need them for that race but OTOH if it gets really rainy, you might. One word: Two words: One hyphenated word: Inov-8. Like you needed an excuse to buy another pair of shoes, right?

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

...---...

Russ - I've heard great things about Inov-8. I picked up Salomon XT Wings which I love. They're a little heavier tha I'd prefer, but fit and feel great. I also have the Mizuno Acsend 4 - not as beefy as the Salomon but a decent lightweight shoe with great grip.

So I'm pretty sure trail runners HAVE to have at least 3 pairs to rotate (it may be a trail running law or something)...I mean, trail shoes can get soaking wet and take days to dry. Right? 

Buckeye - I worked with LZ from 2002 - 2008. FIrst as an Chemist (down here), then QA/QC manager for metalworking additives, then Industrial Additives Account Manager for 3 years. I'll bet your wife and I know a lot of the same people. Especially in the Painesville CSR group. Toledo might work too. Yeah, we'll have to go to the Winking Lizard. 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Dog-Love

Sounds like some good long races coming up .

I felt like I had a longer run in me yesterday but I had to get back to work so 4.4 on trails yesterday.  High 70's and all the salmon that have spawned and died alongside the river are pretty stinky.  Lots of bear poop on the trail so we kept a good pace.

I'm running a 5K trail race (twosome-traverse) this Sat with my 13yr old daughter who has done this every year with me for 5 years. This year she really wants to do it...only with this 14 yr old boy.  I knew this time would come.  I'll have to pick up some straggler that needs a team mate probably on the morning of the race.

Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

I'm running a 5K trail race (twosome-traverse) this Sat with my 13yr old daughter who has done this every year with me for 5 years. This year she really wants to do it...only with this 14 yr old boy.  I knew this time would come.  I'll have to pick up some straggler that needs a team mate probably on the morning of the race.

sorry... thats a shot to the heart   My daughter is also 13yr old and has some new xc "running budies" so I can relate.  Just told my wife yesterday I miss the "Tomboy" days when we would go to the HS football game, coached her soccer team, etc.  Now its tight Jeans and worrying about her hair ... Oh well what is a father to do.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

...---...

Rest day - gonna do a 7K trail race Saturday morning...spur of the moment decision. I'm thinking I'll do the loop before the race, then the race (2nd loop), and then do the loop a couple more times after. Seeing as how there will be food and drink after the 2nd loop...why not.

MTA: Russ - Not sure this one fit into your BQ training either but Terri Hayes is hosting another race - last of the season), a 40/50 miler in North Augusta on Oct 4: FATS 40

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Imminent Catastrophe

Well, today's run was "interesting". It was a tough trail run in Fort Mountain (the Mystery Mountain Marathon will be on this trail in October) and after my second faceplant on this very rocky, rooty trail I was really focusing on my foot placement. At about 3.5 miles I glanced up and about 25 feet ahead of me on the trail was a big black bear . Yes, that's really how my eyes looked! The bear looked at me, I looked at it, then it started walking toward me, which is not exactly what I wanted. So I slowly backed up, then walked, then ran back the way I had come.

On the way home I stopped by the hiking store and got a bear bell. Good thing I glanced up just then or I could have been really close. Yikes.

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

Top 'O the World!

Okay, so I mostly "lurk" rather than 'checking in' but I'm still haning in there...trying to run every day has gotten w/in exhaust fumes reach of dat wascally wabbit!
                Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Dog-Love

Lurking is fun...posting is more fun.

Robert...my 13 year old is morphing before my eyes...still loves soccer...but boys are calling and she is into the tight jeans and a bit too low neckline. She'll be 14 in 3 weeks, but still!  Her Dad is more bummed by the whole deal than I am.

Perfessor...black bears are fun to see from a distance and that one is probably relaying the close "human encounter" it had to its salmon-eating buddies.

Ran a nice and easy 5 miles through the beaver infested area known as Dredge Lakes.  Dog had a ton of fun.

Tomorrow 5K race...

Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                  theyapper

On the road again...

I think I have officially passed the pink monster for good.  Whew!

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

8 miles this morning with a 5K race sandwiched in the middle.  The race was on a tight hilly urban course with lots of turns.  It was also one of those races where a number of participants wear costumes (tomatoes in this case because the race is part of the Tomato Art Festival).  My favorites: the couple that ran with trellises on their backs with stuffed tomatoes hanging off and the man wearing full body paint to look like a Heinz ketchup bottle (complete with white hair cap).  Despite the conditions, it looks like I was 27:09 27:12 which would be my second fastest 5K (I'm estimating because I screwed up the watch at the finish. Again.)

Another interesting point about the race: they used the DAG-System for timing which is a rectangular wire antenna in a plastic sleeve that is attached to the back of the race bib.  Nothing to attach to your shoe, just wear the bib.  Supposedly its disposable, but they were retrieving them (just slid out of the plastic sleeve) after the race.

MTA: official time was 27:12. Still 2nd fastest (by 1 second).  One other thing: in the first mile, while running on a busy city street, I landed on a rock about the size of a racquet ball, if racquet balls were made of rock and shaped like pyramids  Caught the point right in the ball of my left foot.  Didn't bother me while I running, but I can't put any weight on it now.

Yapper - gratz on passing the bunny.  I really want to see that loser moved off the first page.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

...---...

Easy jog then a 7K trail race this morning. I called it a day after lancing 2 blisters. No falls on the trail, luckily, but plenty of people did - and right in front or in back of me. Maybe I'm bad luck. One lady went airborne on a rocky/rooty decline. Her left foot didn't clear a root and, like superman, flew through the air before going down hard 4 or 5 strides from where she tripped. I helped her back up to the road where the volunteers took over. I didn't see her after the race and hope she's okay - her knee and palms were either swelling or bloody or both. Not pretty. But, I think I'm getting my trail legs and balance. I pick my lines just like I used to when mountain biking. Seems to be working.

Russ - Holy crap. Wear that bell. 

Awesome yapper.

Great hearing from you Mntchick. Keep at it. 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Imminent Catastrophe

Easy 5 today, half in VFFs. Part treadmill, part with Taz outside. My legs are tired from yesterday and I've got some nice scabs on my right knee, also from yesterday. If I hadn't been carrying a hand bottle my hands would be a mess.

uh oh definitely losing the bunny...

Once I encountered a young bull moose while running along route 1, I hid behind a pick up truck until he went his merry way.

Long run of 8 miles this week, rebuilding, rebuilding... beautiful morning, SUN, low humidity, 60º

The next two weeks will be low mileage as DH and I prepare to move from Maine to Halifax, NS (Canada). Then I'll have 8 weeks to prepare for the HM. Does packing up all of my books count as cross training?

A

Recalculating...

...---...

Does packing up all of my books count as cross training?

A

YES! I count mowing the law (push mower) as XT  so why not books. I'm chasing you A, hope I can catch up. 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Dog-Love

Ran a fun 5K race with my daughter this morning.  Its a fun won (Treadwell 2-some Traverse) that has the running pair start together and then fork off in this trail system where there are really steep short hills and turns and some running on the beach and then back to the start where the combined 5K times of the 2-person team is combined.  I think we did really well considering this is a fund raiser for the x-country running team.  Lots of fast kids.  I ran 26:34 and my daughter ran 25:09.  I was happy with my time and she was bummed at hers.  Oh well.

Hoping to run long and slow tomorrow