2000Km-1243 mile club

September 2012 (Read 225 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

I'll start this off with a bang. Saturday-Sunday: Merrill's Mile, a timed 12-hour run on a mile track. We had the choice of starting at 9 a.m. or 9 p.m. (there's also a 24-hour). I opted for the night run, a good decision because the day was REALLY hot, and I got 10 hours of needed night running. I was going to quit at 55 miles but the RD told me two more would get me second place. Crap! So I did. Today was the Sizzler 10k which for obvious reasons I took very slowly, but was till painful. It did loosen up my legs pretty well. I'm on pace for a 632-mile month! Smile

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

57 miles in one night!! 632 in one month!!!Surprised Are you sure you're human?Wink

err, I mean - YOU'RE AMAZING !

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Imminent Catastrophe

Well, kidding about the monthly goal.

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

HappyFeat

Well, kidding about the monthly goal.

Thought as much.  You're pretty tough to go out and run a 10K after a 12-hour endurance run though! Great job!

Running Rev'd

Wow, Perfesser. That's something!

Today is day 100 of my run streak, and I think I'm going to kill it tomorrow. It's been a good run (ha!), and I've racked up quite a few miles. But it's time. Memorial Day through Labor Day (+1). I'm now nearly 90 miles up on the bunny and doing well, feeling healthy, and strong.

Marine Corps is coming up as well!

Called to Endure - Blog

"Everyone gets the sunset. Only the dedicated earn the sunrise."

Awesome runs PerfesserR and kmays.

I have got ultra number 4 this weekend, and being spring in NZ the weather forecast is for rain, wind and more rain.  Oh and I hear there may be some thunder and lightning.  DW cracked up because I packed the sunscreen.  You never know.....

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

Good luck, Puke!  Hope it goes really well for you.  41 miles!!! 

Makes my HM this Sunday look weenie....but....I'm a bundle of nerves...feel like I'll lose my mind before it's done. This race has all the pressure because I'm going for a 2-hour time, which it seems like I could perhaps do - if I didn't have all kinds of twinges which I don't know if they're just pre-race phantom pains or notRoll eyes. This has happened to me before - and then nothing hurts on race day, so I'm really hoping for that.

Imminent Catastrophe

Thanks everyone.

Kira, I am impressed by a 100-day streak. No way I could attempt that, I gotta have my days off!

Brian, good luck this weekend. Wow, I miss NZ and wish I was there.

Happy, you'll do great! I've had those phantom pains and they are just that--nothing to worry about. I had those in my right shin last week and was sure that I had a stress fracture, took a week off, then ran the 57 miles and the shin was fine. Have a great race!

MTA: One month to go. I've had these butterflies before a race many times but it was always just a day or two before the race. Now, it's a month to go and I'm already nervous. I've already had bad dreams where I'm out in the wilderness and my headlamp fails and it's dark and I don't know which way to go. So I will have triple or quadruple-backup lighting sources when I run the race. Last weekend's race was my chance to test my headlamps out and they did very well. 

HappyFeat

MTA: One month to go. I've had these butterflies before a race many times but it was always just a day or two before the race. Now, it's a month to go and I'm already nervous. I've already had bad dreams where I'm out in the wilderness and my headlamp fails and it's dark and I don't know which way to go. So I will have triple or quadruple-backup lighting sources when I run the race. Last weekend's race was my chance to test my headlamps out and they did very well. 

oh man! that's killer! I started having butterflies yesterday - by today I'm wrung out - no way could I last a month of them! What can you do to calm down?  I've been trying to practice deep breathing - but seem to have lost the ability temporarily - too anxious! Work has been slow, so I don't have that as a distraction.I put in for tomorrow afternoon off, so I can pack and basically not be at work in a fretful state.Smile

The dreams are good if they help you problem solve in advance, right? It would appear that your brain is working overtime while you try to sleep. What are the "things they warn you about" with RDL? Do you know anyone else running it or who has run it in the past that you could talk to?

oh man! that's killer! I started having butterflies yesterday - by today I'm wrung out - no way could I last a month of them! What can you do to calm down?  I've been trying to practice deep breathing - but seem to have lost the ability temporarily - too anxious! Work has been slow, so I don't have that as a distraction.I put in for tomorrow afternoon off, so I can pack and basically not be at work in a fretful state.Smile

The dreams are good if they help you problem solve in advance, right? It would appear that your brain is working overtime while you try to sleep. What are the "things they warn you about" with RDL? Do you know anyone else running it or who has run it in the past that you could talk to?

I've found red wine works well. ;-)

Good luck for your half Happy, forgot that was coming up.  Don't worry about the pains/aches etc, my legs are like that every run.  Usually disappear at about 6km.  Just follow your plan and you will be sweet.  Oh, and don't devalue your run.  It is not the distance that is important about a run, but the effort you put in.  Big grin

Updated weather forecast for me is strong headwinds , but maybe showers in the morning turning to heavy rain in the afternoon.  Plan is to finish before the heavy stuff sets it.  Still, whatever happens, it sure beats the hell out of sitting in front of the TV.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

Thanks, Puke and PerfesserR! I'll take all your words to heart.

The weather forecast for your race sounds like it will make it a bit more challenging, Puke. That's a long way to go in soaking wet clothes. It would be great if  the worst of it waits until you've finished.  Good luck and hope it all goes as planned tomorrow.

Imminent Catastrophe

Yes, red wine is the thing!

Good luck with the weather Puke. I ran a 50k in a tropical storm once, it was actually kind of fun, but it was warm.

Happy, I've read race reports but the course has changed (for the better). The two things I'm worried about are heat and vandals moving the trail markers (that happened last year). 

Finished the Marton to Wanganui Ultra in 7'07" which is 15 minutes faster than last year. So really stoked about that.  Rain stayed away until the last 3km but was torrential when it came.  The biggest problem was the high wind.  No matter which direction we were running it always seemed to be into a head wind Sad 

Started off a bit faster than I would have like and went through the half marathon distance in 1'58"  before hitting the hills and slowing down a bit to go through the marathon distance in about 4'10"  Then had a long slog up a really nasty hill with really bad camber and my left leg was dead. But got it moving again and went through 50km in 5'10".  Slowed down a bit from there though as the head wind was at its worst and the road turned to really rough gravel for about 6km.  Slogged to the finish and managed to pick up the pace near the end....probably because it was raining and I was in a rush to get to the beer and fries. Which were great.

Finished fourth....out of 6 solo runners....I was in third until about 56km when I got passed by a mate.

Then prize-giving, a quick shower and then my mates and I had to jump in a car and drive 5 hours home.  Finally got in the door at about 11:45pm.  Slept in till 8am Smile  Rest day today, but feeling pretty good so maybe a walk or slow jog this afternoon.

How did you get on Happy?

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

Well done, Puke!! I'm soooo impressed!

My race is tomorrow morning at 8 am. It's just about 7 pm here now. I'm as ready as I can be. I drove the course earlier this evening. It's a flat out-and-back and the weather looks to be good. So I have no excuse not to run well, right? If not, it won't be for lack of trying.

Imminent Catastrophe

Very nice Puke, 5:10 50k on the way to a 66km? That's pretty freakin' fast, in nasty weather. Nice. And you'll do great Happy, I know you will.