2000Km-1243 mile club

January 2015 (Read 13 times)

HappyFeat

First weekend of the New Year already! Wishing everyone the best of luck in chasing down the Bunny this year.

Dutchie, what's new with you?

Ze, I notice you've been getting there more often. How are things going for you?

Puke, you're really ramping up your mileage for Tarawera and, I think, finally enjoying some warmer weather. Good luck with your training! Hope you are feeling strong and confident.

I'm meeting three other runners in about an hour for a run. It's 35F and damp outside....either I'm feeling my age...or I still need that rest I keep promising myself. But they are running a route I really enjoy and haven't done in a very long time; so I can't resist. I think the hardest part will be watching two of them disappear into the distance.  I'm planning to keep up with the third one come hell or high water! It's on pavement, so there's no danger of tripping (whew!). I think 3 times of that in 3 weeks is enough! Still nursing a muscle spasm in right pyriformis. Don't know why I can't get it to resolve. It's twinging as I sit here - boo!  Well, I best finish my coffee and get to stretching.

Happy Running Everyone!

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Dutchie42

Happy new year Wink

Hi Happy. Nothing new with me. I'm doing shortie short runs, as in 3-5 kilometers about 3-4 times a week. I haven't bothered logging them at all. My new year's resolution is to start logging again Smile Which reminds me, I did run Fri and Sat, so for this new year I should input them.

I seem to have had some sort of running burnout. Not enjoying it at all. I completely stopped running for about 6 months, and after that I the feeling came back that I wanted (!) to run again. But I sprained a teeny weeny bone in my foot when I stepped out of the bathroom, which took forever to heal. Apparently it's much easier if you break it, cause then you get a cast and your foot is healed after 6 weeks. In my case, simply walking without pain took 4 months. And another 6 weeks before I was allowed to sort of run again. Which was last November.

Then my running picked up and Sat I did the most stupidist thing any runner could do. I went out for a short run with the dogs on old running shoes. They were creaking and squeaking as I walked, but I was too lazy to go upstairs and get my proper shoes. By the end of the day my ankle was ridiculously swollen. It looks and feels better already but I think I need to be careful for a few more days.

Anyways, I have no racing plans or anything. Just run and I'll see where this year will take me Smile

And how are things with you? And with everybody else? I noticed Crabby wasn't posting and Perfesser wasn't around much? I meant the Yapper.

Dutchie
      Run the day, or the day runs you.

HappyFeat

Nice to get caught up on what's happening with you Dutchie. I love the photo in your profile, BTW. I so want to be there with the sunshine and scenic open space. Is that in your locale? Wow that's a long time to heal your foot; but like you said it's not immobilized and you're still walking on it, so it's going to be awhile before it feels normal.

I know what you mean about running in old shoes. I finally put my trail shoes in the trash bin after hearing myself say for the last 4 trail runs "These shoes are done!" They no longer had enough support for my wonky right ankle.  Oh, and most of the forefoot uppers were basically big open holes. Still, they've been such great shoes, I had a hard time coming to terms with the fact that they had died. I know -- I'm wierd.

I really don't know why the others don't post any more.  Maybe they are not into bunny chasing and don't see the point of the group - which I think goes beyond bunny chasing. I imagine they participate elsewhere...not sure really.  It's pretty much down to Puke, Ayola, and I.

Hope you will log your runs and keep us posted on your return to running and healing your foot.

Dutchie42

Well for me it was and still is a mental thing: I don't really run long distance (if I run) or participate in a race so what interesting or exciting things do I have to tell? I have been checking regularly (I'm the owner of this thread after all Smile) and kind of felt envious of all your running adventures and fantastic races Smile

But I actually set my self a goal for this year. I want to be able to run 10 miles again by the end of the year. I know I can do that in maybe 3 months tops and probably 4 months without getting injured but I do not want to pressure myself and avoid any feeling of a burn out again. So my deadline is Xmas 2015. How am I going to get there?

1 April: be able to run 3-4 x 5 kilometers a week consistently and comfortably (I know, a long way off from where I used to be)

1 June: continue with 2-3 x 5 kilometers consistently and comfortably and bring the weekend run up to 8 kilometers

1 October: bump the longer run up to 12 kilometers

Xmas: run 10 miles comfortably.

There! It's in writing now. This is as interesting and exciting as it is gonna get this year. You can all watch me make it or fail it See me go two kilometers forward and 1 back

And Happy, you are right that this forum is about more than just running. It's about the sharing, the long distance online friendships, the help and understanding and what not.

I do need to kick my butt regularly and at least post my runs. I think that's the first thing I should get back in order. Or as Aristotle once said, action determines state of mind... and not the other way around.

Dutchie

Well, nothing exciting happening here in halifax  except for wild temperature fluctuations (we are going from +15 to -15 from this morning to tomorrow morning). I'm just trucking along, drinking tea in the morning and trying to stick with a planned schedule. Of course I'd Like to make 2000k this year, but right now I'm looking for 5-6 workout hours a week including some weight training before my running "season" begins mid February and less Christmas cake.

But I'm still here in 2015.... Good luck everyone with your goals. Sending healing thoughts around the world to those intemperate backs, feet, hamstring, etc...I do really enjoy reading about your racing and training and am pretty happy to be part of the group. Today, a simple 40 minute treadmill run and chat with the regulars at the gym.

Happy Monday, A

Recalculating...

HappyFeat

Dutchie, your goal of running a 10-miler by year's end is totally achievable. You have a solid plan and I bet if you stick with it, you will progress faster than you expect.

Believe me, there is no criteria here that posts here must be exciting or interesting.. Hmmm, maybe we don't have more participating members because we're boring?

My feeling is we've gotten to know each other a little bit and sharing the ebb and flow of running in our lives is fun and rewarding. We each have a valuable perspective and insights to share. I've learned a lot from the individuals in this group over the last few years, and often gotten a much needed reality check. So I'm grateful for our group and hope others find it as worthwhile as I do.

Believe me, there is no criteria here that posts here must be exciting or interesting.. Hmmm, maybe we don't have more participating members because we're boring?

Just checked out the 2000 mile group, hardly any activity.

I basically thrive on interaction.  Maybe a bit too much.  Maybe people have started to think this is the ultra club, or possibly they just want a pace bunny to chase, without sharing....

Anyway, lets see some runs Dutchie.  Build towards that 10 miler goal.

Soooo glad we don't have your weather Ayola.  Would do my head in.

Speaking of shoes Happy, my new ones arrived in the mail today. Mmmmmmmmmmmm shoe candy.  As one friend commented, he is feeling sorry for the shoes. They don't know what is going to hit em.

Still cant throw away my 3rd pair, got about 1200 km on them but feel better than the ones that have 500.

As for my trail shoes, thinking of stitching the upper back together with dental floss.  Supposed to work a treat.

Right, bed time

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Dutchie42

No run today. My ankle still looks slightly swollen and a little sensitive. But I did do a LB strength w/o. I figured that's at least something Wink My left leg was a littly unbalanced, but other than that it was fine. My legs feel decently fried now. Did I say already yesterday was UB strength?

Puke: I'd be injured if I would run 1200 kms on one pair of shoes. I can manage 500-600. Then I start getting these twinges and little aches. I tried once to make it to 750 kilometers. Ouch....was not a good idea.

Happy: if I can be consistent and be smart about my running, I'm pretty sure I'll make 10 miles way before my finish line Smile My legs haven't forgotten how to run yet Smile

Dutchie

Hi everybody, happy new year!

Well, I was never a heavy poster. Not that I find it vane or that I find you boring. Much the contrary. The chatting here is quite motivating, at least for me. My problem is mainly keyboard laziness, aggravated a bit by the fact that English is not my native language.

But I don't think we should worry about fewer posts. Post frequency oscillates a bit, maybe were just going through a "down" phase.

Yes, I'm trying to keep up this year. Last year I completely screwed up my mileage (again, mostly laziness) and decided that this year, with a clean fresh slate, I'd try to do better. Besides, this year is my 50th birthday. I'm planning on a 50km celebration. Really, really have to train for it!

I'm focusing on short runs, everyday or almost everyday, because that's what I find more difficult. Last year I'd go like "What's the point of going out for a mere 5km? Better not, tomorrow I'll go for a longer run instead." But next day I wouldn't. This year, instead, I'm forcing myself to go out just for those "mere 5km"! And, behold!, I always end up running longer than that! (10km today, for instance.)

Anyway, this is still only day #5, there's still 360 days ahead.

Dutchie, hope your ankle get's better soon and that you have a lot of good runs with your plan for the 10 miles!

Ayola, with that weather you're out of options (but, living in Portugal, I really wouldn't know about it. 15F, ok, I got that once or twice in the mountains; but -15?! brrrr!). Treadmills are boring but what can you do? Hold on, Spring will be here, sooner than we think (bad news for Pukekura)!

Pukekura, you're having one hell of a start! Really, this is day #5 and you are already 12.5 bunny-days ahead of the pace bunny! Congratulations, man!

OK, happy running (and posting here), people! And happy 2015!

Ze

HappyFeat

Just  a quick note before bed.

Hi Ze!!!

THIS:

This year, instead, I'm forcing myself to go out just for those "mere 5km"! And, behold!, I always end up running longer than that! (10km today, for instance.)

is great!  Yay YOU!  Keep it going!

How many months do you have to train for the 50K?

Shoes...... I have a pair with enough miles that I usually retire them, but I love them!  They're so light, they make me feel like a kid running in them. I need more supportive shoes for long runs, but these are perfect for short races. I should pull them out when I need an attitude adjustment!

I need to borrow some of your commitment to strength training, Dutchie. I keep trying to make it a regular habit, but have not been very successful. Now that I'm back to trying to do all my PT exercises along with my  yoga, I have even less time for weights. BUT, my left shoulder is paying the price, especially after jamming it when I fell last month. I know it is one of those situations where if I don't strengthen and mobilize it now, I'll have long term limitations and pain. I just really find it hard to fit everything in.

Dutchie42

Ze: Hi. Another European, yeah. And don't worry, English isn't my first language either. I hear you on the 5 kilometer. I've felt like it wasn't worth my time to get changed for just 5 kilometers for the longest time.

Happy: when you're a long distance runner, it's hard to fit the strength training in. I used to add 30 min LB workouts after my shortest runs (that would've been anything in the 7-10 kilometer range). I would also do a LB workout (or something called contrast training where you do a traditional strength exercise followed by a plyometrics exercise that works the same muscle) on the day before my long run. I often ran my long run on pre-tired legs. So come race day, when I'd skipped my Saturday workout, my legs felt remarkably fresh Smile I'd run 5x week, so that left me with two days for UB strength training. I prefer to split my UB work up in i.e. chest/back/shoulders and biceps/triceps/abs, and switch it up every 5-6 weeks or so to prevent a plateau. I tend to work each muscle group for approx. 15 min. Sometimes, while I'm watching TV Smile

My ankle looks and feels soooo much better. Did a 30 min boxing workout today. Not on the heavy bag though. One of my boys spring cleaned his room and there's all this stuff around the heavy bag that needs to be cleared (I have a standing heavy bag). My ankle proved to be more stable then yesterday. I'll hop on the TM tomorrow to test the ankle with a 1 miler.  "Not worth to change for...." but I'll add on a strength workout for biceps/triceps/and posterior delts.

Dutchie

Dutchie42

Did a 1-mile test run on the TM this morning. Ankle was fine during the run. Slightly sensitive afterwards.

Added on a back/rear delts/bicep workout. My mid section is pretty sore from yesterday's boxing workout. Nothing works the obliques and mid back like boxing does!

Dutchie

HappyFeat

Your 1-mile test run sounds encouraging, Dutchie,

Your suggestion of breaking up the strength routine into different days is a good one. Even though I do a minimal workout as it is, dividing it up may enable me to fit it in more often.

Yesterday I learned again that I really can't run five days in a row. I cut the planned distance in half, but was utterly shattered at the end of the effort. I accomplished nothing more the rest of the evening. Then I hit the "snooze" button this morning, so no yoga or PT exercises so far today. I'll hit the "reset" button after work tonight. No running, but will do all my exercises and foam rollering.

Dutchie42

I intended to do a 2-mile test run, but as it turned out, I ran the full 5 kilometers on the TM. Ankle seemed fine, so why not Stormy winds outside. So the TM seemed the better option. Don't like wind. Unless it's 25C Then I really appreciate the wind.

No workout yesterday. I've been working out for 9 days straight, and I needed a rest day. Like Happy, I was resetting mind and body.

Dutchie

HappyFeat

Love to hear the ankle seems better every day, Dutchie. Sounds like you really enjoyed your 5K run too. That's the spirit!

The TM is often a better option for me in winter. At night, the roads and bike paths are dark and slippery with ditches on either side (no safety zones)  and there are unpredictable drivers who seem to enjoy DRIVING STRAIGHT AT YOU!  I figure: I can't see anything around me anyway, so why not run on the TM where I can see my bulletin board with its scenic posters and motivational mantras.

Last night, DH wanted to run 3 miles after he got off work - in the dark, outside. First time for that since he resumed running and first time for me in quite a while. Gah! My night vision is terrible! And my head lamp needs new batteries! I had trouble with muscle cramping and hope the same does not happen today.

I made a small attempt at my UP weights w/o a couple days ago and plan to do the full workout today (still with very light weight), along with all the other exercises I'm supposed to be doing. I recently had lunch with a friend who is a Physical Therapy Assistant. She suspects some of my left arm pain that started after I tripped and jammed my shoulder in mid-December is nerve-related (neck or upper back I guess since those muscles are super-tight). Dang! If it continues, I may get the limb checked out just so I know for sure WTF is the matter with it.

MTA: Ze, we are neck-and-neck on the bunny leader board!  How's it going? Feeling good with the mileage increase?