2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly Check-In for Week of Sept 1 (Read 331 times)

...---...

While Dutchie's typing hands recover from Judo chops and pruning phenomena, I'll take a cue from her boys do a few chores to help out. No running for me on Monday, much needed rest day.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Dutchie42

Hi Trey, how many chores did you do? Where's everone else? Wanted to go out on a run today, but it was pitch black, heavy rain and very windy. That was just too much of a bad thing for me this morning. Sigh. I'm not doing well again with the running. Don't know what's going on with me since the marathon.

Dutchie
      Run the day, or the day runs you.

...---...

Hi Trey, how many chores did you do?
        Only one...well if you count the last thread I started, then two. But hey, it's not the quantity of the chores that matters, it's the quality. Right? Big grin Hope you find your mojo with running. You were going at it pretty hard there for a long time. I don't know about the rest of you folks but I'm ready for fall and cooler temps. Otherwise I'm afraid I'll start to feel burned out (pun intended).

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

A Saucy Wench

You want fall and cooler temps come here. I swear we had 2 weeks of summer this year. But they were in the 100's. But today when I went running it was 47 and last week it was 42. I even ran yesterday at 2 in the afternoon and it was something like 62.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

...---...

But today when I went running it was 47 and last week it was 42. I even ran yesterday at 2 in the afternoon and it was something like 62.
            What?!?!? Oh wow. I'm jealous. Awesome, easy 8.5 miles tonight at 10:15 pace. Threw in a few strides just for kicks. I really needed a good run like this after the torture from Sunday's long blistering heatstroke hit-the-wall run.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

A Saucy Wench

What?!?!? Oh wow. I'm jealous. Awesome, easy 8.5 miles tonight at 10:15 pace. Threw in a few strides just for kicks. I really needed a good run like this after the torture from Sunday's long blistering heatstroke hit-the-wall run.
              Its great for running, not so great for training in some ways. I had a race in 78 degree weather and wilted like a delicate flower. I have ZERO heat acclimation. It could be 55 degrees but if the sun is bright and shiny I wither.

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Imminent Catastrophe

Finally back on the horse treadmill. 3 miles easy, knee and shin felt fine. MTA: Did a weight workout afterward and pulled my hamstring! Angry

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I run for Fried Chicken!

September is off to a good start. 7 on Monday and Tuesday and hopefully another 7 tonight. Trying to rack up some mileage. I want to get faster, feel like I've been on a plateau lately. I'm also confused with all these training plans. I think I just need to stick with the run a lot and you'll get faster plan. It's just frustrating sometimes when I don't feel like I've been improving.

...---...

5.4 miles in what I would call an easy-hard run @ 9:33 ave pace. mile splits varied only from 9:43 to 9:20. Aaron - there are a lot of experienced people in here who are more qualified to answer better than me. However, in my experience, to race faster I've had to train faster. Hills/hill repeats have done wonders for my stamina. Tempo runs and races have also given me the lungs and legs to maintain higher pace. Yes, you have to put in the miles as well but easy runs and rest, mixed with the other stuff have kept me in a state of continual improvement that has surprised me. Besides, doing the tempos, strides, hills, intervals, progressions, easy and long have all made workouts more interesting. Perfesser? Ennay? Jeff? Dutchie? Anyone else?

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

...---...

Did a weight workout afterward and pulled my hamstring! Angry
                      Doh! Watching Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon on IFC - I'd pull more than that if I tried ANY of those move. Of course Dutchie would be able to handle it...once her wrist heals. Get better soon everyone!

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

A Saucy Wench

September is off to a good start. 7 on Monday and Tuesday and hopefully another 7 tonight. Trying to rack up some mileage. I want to get faster, feel like I've been on a plateau lately. I'm also confused with all these training plans. I think I just need to stick with the run a lot and you'll get faster plan. It's just frustrating sometimes when I don't feel like I've been improving.
                        I'm big on the just run more. I think once you get up to a fairly high mileage then the intervals and stuff work better with less injury risk. Miles are the foundation, speedwork is the interior decorating. Putting up curtains in a house that isnt built yet doesnt do much for the house. Although I think if you have them available running a rolling hilly terrain does good things as far as building the legs and speed. Which isnt to say dont do ANY speedwork, but I wouldnt do it at the expense of mileage. If doing speedwork is making it harder for you to build mileage, then skip speedwork. Maybe I am just lazy but for me if anything is "off" I will pull out the speedwork. I was sick or injured for a good bit of august so I yanked the speedwork. I like periodization too. Pick a 2-3 month block and build mileage with little speedwork. Then take another block and keep mileage flat but add speedwork. Then maybe do a gradual build with moderate speedwork. See what your body responds to. Which yup, means it could take years to figure out what works best for you.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Finally getting in more mileage - 6.2 miles on Tuesday and 10.6 today. DS is strongly encouraging me to try two days in a row again, but I told him my ankle is still making mer nervous. I said that after my HM on 9/21, I will rest for a few days and then give it a go. I walked more than I wanted during our 10.6-mile run (due to my running partner not drinking enough water ahead of time!), but I was pleased at how great I felt afterwards. I have to figure out what to do next week when I want to go 11.8 miles on the HM course. If my RP is still not up to speed, I hate to leave her behind. I'm usually the one who keeps track of directions, too. Hmm, I'll have to give it some thought.

I run for Fried Chicken!

I'm big on the just run more. I think once you get up to a fairly high mileage then the intervals and stuff work better with less injury risk. Miles are the foundation, speedwork is the interior decorating. Putting up curtains in a house that isnt built yet doesnt do much for the house. Although I think if you have them available running a rolling hilly terrain does good things as far as building the legs and speed. Which isnt to say dont do ANY speedwork, but I wouldnt do it at the expense of mileage. If doing speedwork is making it harder for you to build mileage, then skip speedwork. Maybe I am just lazy but for me if anything is "off" I will pull out the speedwork. I was sick or injured for a good bit of august so I yanked the speedwork. I like periodization too. Pick a 2-3 month block and build mileage with little speedwork. Then take another block and keep mileage flat but add speedwork. Then maybe do a gradual build with moderate speedwork. See what your body responds to. Which yup, means it could take years to figure out what works best for you.
                            Thanks for the advice. I think my problem is that I don't have a particular race that I'm training for. I'm just enjoying running and would like to get faster. I think I'll just have to schedule some speed workouts every couple of weeks just to get myself in the habit of running faster. I've been running just constant easy runs and I think that's been making my training get a little boring and making me frustrated. I did a hill workout for the first time last night and really liked it. I don't feel as winded as I normally do with speed workouts but I felt it in my legs which I normally don't with speed workouts. I think I'll have to do more hill training. MTA: I think this week might be a record week, going to try and break 40 miles.

Imminent Catastrophe

I like cruise intervals done during regular runs. Start with short bursts, say a minute or so, at a 5k pace, with long recoveries like a mile or so at your long run pace, then another burst, repeat. Gradually you increase the length of the fast portions to 10-15 minutes. I like it because it lets you ease into speedwork with minimal chance of injury, and won't disrupt your regular training schedule. I'd do these once or twice per week for a few weeks, then by the time you're up to 10-15 minute bursts, you're ready for tempo runs. My marathon times dropped 15-20 minutes when I was doing this in training.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

...---...

6.5 miles with with a small group on hills and hill repeats at the end. Legs are a little tired but had gas left in the tank. Good to hear from Teresa again. Russ - you and Jeff have made me a fan of the "bursts" within normal runs. Lots of fun and definitely more pleasurable than an all out tempo. TGIF, almost. MTA - Ennay - the periodization you mentioned...is that similar to the Daniels phases of training I've heard about?

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12