2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly check in: 20-26 September (Read 346 times)

HappyFeat

That race looks beautiful! I miss the PNW.

I have...TAPER MADNESS Surprised! Accckk!

Yeah, I really only moved here for the scenery - seriously!

So...TAPER MADNESS...explain please,  Is it that you can't run as much as you want and you worry about losing conditioning? or what? 

I've never tapered for Halfs (halves?), so I'm curious...  I dream of being a long distance runner, but maybe I need to know more about what's involved.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Imminent Catastrophe

Yeah, I really only moved here for the scenery - seriously!

So...TAPER MADNESS...explain please,  Is it that you can't run as much as you want and you worry about losing conditioning? or what? 

I've never tapered for Halfs (halves?), so I'm curious...  I dream of being a long distance runner, but maybe I need to know more about what's involved.

Everybody's different, I get antsy and impatient, with a lot of nervous energy, plus all sorts of aches and pains start popping up. But I like the carb loading part!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

Everybody's different, I get antsy and impatient, with a lot of nervous energy, plus all sorts of aches and pains start popping up. But I like the carb loading part!

Well you'll be lotsa fun on the plane to Calif then, won't you?Clown 

I know about the Phantom Pain thing -that's a crazy thing, isn't it??

I believe it every time too - only to have a painfree race experience.

So I'm learning not to worry about that so much. I worry about logistical things the most.

Maybe now DH doesn't run and can be my crew, I could relax more - just gotta do a bit of trainingWink

Dutchie42

HappyFeat: you are (!) a long distance runner. 21 kilometers isn't a short run Big grin

I don't taper for a half either (or any shorter race), but I have done for a 30K (a week) and the marathon (2 weeks). But replaced my running with other forms of exercise, like more strength training, biking and especially swimming. So I didn't experience taper madness at all.

Perfesser: with all that nervous energy, aren't there any chores around the house that need doing? Just trying to help you find an outlet Evil

Well folks, I'm starting to enjoy exercising again, now I have to get my runs back up to the distances/time I used to be on my feet Wink Wonder how this all is going to effect my half?

BTW, could my ankle problem have been caused by my shoes? I have a little over 400 kilometers on those shoes. And I use these mainly for long runs and have done 24+ kilometers on them. 

Dutchie
          Run the day, or the day runs you.

HappyFeat

Dutchie: Y'know it's really hard to say if it's the shoes since they still have life left. I'd be more inclined to suspect a sore muscle or tendon in your lower leg that ends at the ankle - something like posterior tibial tendonitis.  I find that quite often the location of the pain or stiffness is not the actual origin. So the culprit could be an exercise activity, type of terrain, slant of the road - or possibly the shoes -  that is affecting your lower leg. Try a massage ball or tennis ball to explore your leg muscles and see if you find a knot there.  I'm glad you're enjoying running again...yaay for that!

So weird how we see ourselves, huh?  I don't think of myself as a long distance runner or even as an athlete. I always feel like I'm on the brink of getting fit, but have recurring setbacks that prevent me from ever getting there. Maybe I can turn that around now that I've got this brilliant physical therapist in my corner. 

Getting ready to head out to the race with my bright pink pacer's shirt (thankfully not the singlet that was promised) and ridiculously long stick with a 3:00 sign at the top.  Spent a couple of hours at the expo yesterday working the pace information booth.  Of the people that came up, over half have a goal of 3:00.  I've gone from being nervous that I'd be out there running by myself, to nervous that I'll have this huge group of runners trailing behind me (kind of like Forrest Gump, although I've ditched the beard).  3 hours was my goal for the first half I ran so I really, really want to do a good job and help these people achieve their goals.   Thankfully the weather is going to be almost perfect: a touch warm, but its not going to warm up much during the race and no rain is expected.

Good luck today Perfesser and tomorrow Happy.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

Imminent Catastrophe

All dressed up and ready to go! Nice and cool this morning but yesterday we went up to the finish--it was getting hot down in the canyon, even at that hour. I have my Margarita Shot Bloks and S-Caps. 

This seemed like a good idea a few weeks ago. Now, I'm not so sure. Undecided

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

Dutchie42

drphibes: good luck pacing that big group. You'll be a hero to this people at the end Big grin

Perfesser: run like the wind! Go go go Joking

Dutchie

HappyFeat

All dressed up and ready to go! Nice and cool this morning but yesterday we went up to the finish--it was getting hot down in the canyon, even at that hour. I have my Margarita Shot Bloks and S-Caps. 

This seemed like a good idea a few weeks ago. Now, I'm not so sure. Undecided

Passing on a tip from Rose's Revenge, PerfesserR:

Her "race goals, as always - Have Fun.  Start.  Finish.  Have Fun."

I'll be taking this to heart myself.

YOU will do great and have a Memorable Run, to be sure!

Came in, unofficially, at 2:59:50 so only 10 seconds off.  Because there were two significant climbs in the last two miles, my plan was to be 2 minutes ahead at mile 10 and I was spot on.  However, the clock was wrong at 11 miles and made me think I was suddenly 4 minutes ahead.  I slowed way down only to get to mile 12 with only a 30 second cushion and a big bridge.  Most of the runners had taken my advice and pushed on ahead at the 10 mile mark, but I hope I didn't drop any in that last mile.  Definitely one of the harder things I've done.  Trying to maintain a pace while doing run/walk intervals over widely varying terrain was not easy.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

Imminent Catastrophe

Quickie:

Done, 5:20. Awesome race, beautiful scenery, nonstop hills, very hot at the end, but I felt pretty good. A good run.

Shower beer time!

Sounds like two great races done and one to go - good luck Happy! I have a little cold so a rest day for me, after 8.5 on Thursday night and weight training on Friday. Went for a walk. I think I'll run short and easy tomorrow and try the long run on Monday super early.

Recalculating...

Dutchie42

Drphibes: well done, I know I couldn't pace.

Perfesser: congrats on finishing. Two marathons left to go.

Anyone hear from HappyFeat yet?

Did the stupidst thing this morning....again...running down the stairs on my socks... of course I slipped and went down on my butt/back. Hurt my knee and my back is sore, arghhhhh. I do this about once a year. Why?

I tried to run when I had to take the dogs out, but my knee wasn't cooperating. So already decided no long run, but maybe a shorter run late afternoon. But no, it isn't happening. I'm giving my knee a rest and ice and will try again tomorrow morning on the TM.

Dutchie

Dutchie42

Drphibes: well done, I know I couldn't pace.

Perfesser: congrats on finishing. Two marathons left to go.

Anyone hear from HappyFeat yet?

Did the stupidst thing this morning....again...running down the stairs on my socks... of course I slipped and went down on my butt/back. Hurt my knee and my back is sore, arghhhhh. I do this about once a year. Why?

I tried to run when I had to take the dogs out, but my knee wasn't cooperating. So already decided no long run, but maybe a shorter run late afternoon. But no, it isn't happening. I'm giving my knee a rest and ice and will try again tomorrow morning on the TM.

ETA: instead I'm eating everything in sight.

Dutchie

HappyFeat

Finally home and checking in. I can't seem to insert photos...something's changed with Flickr, I guess. When I get it to work, I'll add them in. If anyone knows anything about this problem, let me know. I've posted photos before without any difficulty...?

As for the Black Diamond HM, I bet there is not a more beautiful course to be found. It was sooo sooo lovely. It was rainy at first, but I peeled off my rain jacket at about mile 4 - Hot HOT HOT.  It went very well for me. My time was 2:16 which made me happy since I expected 2:30 and I was 2 of 3 in my age group. I was careful about my pace, walked a steep hill in mile 9 because I got a cramp in Rt glute. I tried to run faster in the last 5K, but couldn't because the cramp wanted to come back.  The last 2 miles was a dirt/mud/rocks trail through the park and boy was that a rejuvenating change for the legs, especially nice at the end. I finished feeling great! I would love to do it again next year.

oooh finally success on the photos! Gaah -just spend over an hour messing with that!

FINISHERS MEDAL

finishers medal

WAITING TO START

FINAL STEPS