2000Km-1243 mile club

June Already? (Read 486 times)

My work schedule has finally got the better of me.  I've been working 72 hours per week on night shift for 9 weeks now and I'm spent.  I barely have enough energy to get home, sleep, then show back up at work.  Running more than once a week is getting near impossible.  The real frustration is that coming into this schedule I was in the best shape of my life and now I'm just struggling to not lose it all.  Next week we cut back to 60 hour weeks so that will help a little, but it could be 3 more weeks before we are back to normal schedule.

OK, I'm done whining now.  The rest of the year is going to be EPIC!

I feel for you Heffa.  Been struggling to get out myself, as wife has been working night shifts for a few weeks. So mostly just weekend running for me.

Just found my next challenge...Just entered the 85km at the Tarawera Ultra-marathon.  Never been more than 42.2 before so gonna be some a hard work ahead.  Good thing is that it isn't until March next year....but got to start building soon.

Thanks for the inspiration Perfesser....

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Imminent Catastrophe

I feel for you Heffa.  Been struggling to get out myself, as wife has been working night shifts for a few weeks. So mostly just weekend running for me.

Just found my next challenge...Just entered the 85km at the Tarawera Ultra-marathon.  Never been more than 42.2 before so gonna be some a hard work ahead.  Good thing is that it isn't until March next year....but got to start building soon.

Thanks for the inspiration Perfesser....

Wow, I just looked that up, and it looks spectacular! I might have to put that on my bucket list. My longest ultras (Old Pueblo, Miwok, Tahoe) have been/will be on beautiful courses, it really helps to make the miles kilometers fly by. 

I'm not able to do much either, due to this stubborn ankle strain, I'm just trying to do elliptical until I can resume running. It's making me grumpy, although I really have no right to complain I'm going to anyway!

MTA: I just love this quote from the Tarawera website:

The most common question from potential entrants is "I do not know if I can do this" To which I usually answer, "that's the whole point". Big grin

BTW What's the weather like in March?

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

Just in from running 10 miles on my "rolling hills route." Heat wave here - just joking - but 63F and blazing sunshine!! I wore as little as possible. Still baked in the last couple miles that are in the full sun because of the heat radiating from the asphalt. Had to walk a short bit of a couple hills this time and turned around before the final steep one, but knew I would since my lower leg complaints aren't completely resolved. Better though. Came in at 1:42 which is an improvement over my 2 hr average time when I started doing that route. I expected I'd be out longer than that today because I was purposely going to take it very easy - which I did. My easy pace is getting faster. Me likey Cool

Hey you guys - if THIS isn't the place you can vent your "not running" blues, where can ya?!  We're here for you and we can sympathize.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Heffa: That work schedule is brutal...try to get some RnR as well as a bit of running in.

Today, sunny and 12*C (55*F) 6.3 miles easy with a nice pace 11:15m/m without any extra effort. The last bit of rest is paying off along with finally defeating the cough. Feeling alot better now so I can start to rebuild.

A

Recalculating...

63F?  55F?  Sounds like heaven.  It's been 90+ everyday here for over a week (normal high 81-82).  Tried a trail run this morning for variety and as a way to beat the heat. Not so much. 80F at the (7 a.m.) start.  I was soaked by mile 2 and at the end (7.5) I was leaving wet foot prints in the parking lot (with my shoes on) and that was with a significant amount of walking.  I learned that if it takes 3 bottles of water to get through an 8 mile run on flat ground, it takes more than one bottle to get through a 7.5 mile run on hilly terrain.

The variety was nice.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

HappyFeat

That's right, Brian - and Russ - You guys in the South have the really hot temps. I promise never to say I have sweltering heat where I am again.Black eye  We rarely get above 80 here - ever. I know I have it good. I used to live in Sacramento where it would be in the 100's for the summer and I'd still run every day; but I'm sure I couldn't do it now. 

90s? Yikes, I'll keep 50s and raining... I guess I've acclimated to Canadian summers, no more asphalt jungle at home in NYC!

Happy monday, A

Recalculating...

Wow, I just looked that up, and it looks spectacular! I might have to put that on my bucket list. My longest ultras (Old Pueblo, Miwok, Tahoe) have been/will be on beautiful courses, it really helps to make the miles kilometers fly by. 

I'm not able to do much either, due to this stubborn ankle strain, I'm just trying to do elliptical until I can resume running. It's making me grumpy, although I really have no right to complain I'm going to anyway!

MTA: I just love this quote from the Tarawera website:

The most common question from potential entrants is "I do not know if I can do this" To which I usually answer, "that's the whole point". Big grin

BTW What's the weather like in March?

Yeah, love that quote too.

Weather in March in NZ is usually quite stable, although we did have a the odd tropical cyclone cause a bit of havoc on the tracks before the race this year.  Temperature is typically low to mid 20s celsius (68-77 deg F).  So rather pleasant.....or so they say.

Ran the first 8 km of the course yesterday, followed by another 12km of forestry roads and single track.  Real nice.  Followed that up with a family trip to one of the many geothermal hot pools in the area...even nicer

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Imminent Catastrophe

No running, but I've been getting some good time on the elliptical. The ankle is not getting better, but I guess that's expected, a strained tendon (I'm pretty sure that's what this is) takes awhile to mend. I'm still hoping to do Tahoe in 6 weeks, if my gamy leg will cooperate. 

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

HappyFeat

Wow, you must have really done a number on your ankle, PerfesserRShocked  How is it to walk on it? Have you seen any kind of professional about it? You don't think you tore a ligament or anything, do you?

Still not running much due to my schedule.  Tried to make up for it by running a medium-hard 8 miler in the heat....not a good idea.  Now my knee has been bothering me for the last couple of days.  At least there appears to be a light at the end of the tunnel.  Maybe 10 more days or so before back to normal.

See you on the elliptical Russ.

Imminent Catastrophe

See you on the elliptical Russ.

Misery loves company!

Happy, it's not that bad, it's just one of those things that I can't put stress on without making it worse. Just a strained tendon, I think, on the outside of my ankle. If I had done the exercises that the ortho recommended after my last ankle sprain (it was much worse) I wouldn't be in this position. Basically they involve balancing on one foot and working the ankle. Maybe I'll get one of those wobble boards.

HappyFeat

Still not running much due to my schedule.  Tried to make up for it by running a medium-hard 8 miler in the heat....not a good idea.  Now my knee has been bothering me for the last couple of days.  At least there appears to be a light at the end of the tunnel.  Maybe 10 more days or so before back to normal.

It's been a long and frustrating couple months for you Jeff. I'm glad you only have a couple weeks left.  Take care of that knee. Get some wraparound soft ice packs if you don't already have one. Those are great for knees and all parts below. Guess you have to start off slow and easy at first and not try to make up for lost time - which is so hard when you're champing at the bit.  Are all your extra hours at work related to tornado damage or is this usual for this time of year?

Are all your extra hours at work related to tornado damage or is this usual for this time of year?

We refuel both reactors every 18 months which works out to a refueling outage 2 out of 3 springs and falls, so it is normal for this time of year.  This year I have the fall off, that is why I'm shooting for the fall marathon.  The part that is not normal has been the duration.  Normally we would be in outage schedule for 5-6 weeks, but for various reasons (including a 2 week early start because of the tornado) we are on week 9 and still going.

The knee is a little better today.  I've been icing and using motrin.  I've never had my knee feel like this before.  It really only hurts when I completely straighten the leg.  Then I have a sharp pain in my knee pit.  I can actually jog with no pain at all.  Walking hurts quite a bit unless I keep my knees slightly bent.

Russ - I want the balance board like they had at PT.  It was about a 2 ft square board suspended on chains at the corners.  I got a great ankle and hip workout on that thing.

MTA : Now that the leg has had some time to settle down a little I have a further diagnosis.  The lower part of my hamstring is now starting to feel tight so I'm thinking it is a hamstring strain from running my last 7 miler on a road that I don't normally run on.  It was pretty sloped and I ran on the same side the whole way.  The affected leg is the one that was on the low side.