2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly Check in 25 - 31 May (Read 270 times)

...---...

Hope everyone had a good memorial day weekend or a good weekend as it is in your area of the world.

I did 13 humid hot miles on Monday.

White Squirrel 5K race report:

Got there 6 minutes before the start. Needed to register. sprinted to registration, grabbed bib and chip and before I could attach either of them, the gun went off. No warm up and clutching the bib # in one hand and my chip in another, I sprinted to catch the group. No watch, no Garmin.

I caught up to the middle of the pack which stretched out a good bit after several minutes. I caught up to a kid who was yelling at this girl to slow down. This went on for a while, the boy would catch up a little and then fall back, each time yelling "Anna! Slow down!" Until finially, I was caught in a scene from "A Street Car Named Desire" - at the crest of a hill, the boy was half sobbing, have gasping for air, and yelling "Anna! Annnn-aaaaa!" Young love. Anyway....

Coming down the stretch to the finish, one of my hastily tied shoes came undone and within seconds, the show came off completely. At the finish, I dove - well, actually more like a leap - over the finish line, one shoe on and clutching my bib #, touched the chip to the mat to deactivate it.

Finished in 27:58 - not even close to a PR but about 2 minutes faster than my time on this same course from last year's race.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Dutchie42

Nothing to report, and the bunny caught me again. Big, really big thunder storm here last night. With so much rain there was flooding in some places. Nothere though. And when I woke up at 4h30, well, it rained so hard I could've taken my soap and shampoo out with me and shower outside. If the temp had been nicer.

Trey: at least you enjoyed the race And it makes for a great story.

Dutchie
      Run the day, or the day runs you.

Imminent Catastrophe

Great story Trey! I'm resting/icing today.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Dutchie42

Well, I'm reporting back. I did STS non-eq. abs this morning before work. Yes I did!
          Came home from work and did a LB endurance w/o followed by an endurance w/o for back and triceps. In the middle of that Jim yelled that dinner was ready. Paused the workout and boy did that pasta taste good! Or was I just very hungry? After dinner I finished the strength training. !

Dutchie

...---...

Some light cross training and an easy run on the treadmill Tuesday. Then a massage. I'm still sore and stiff in a few areas from this past weekend's 5K, hike, and long run on Monday.

Russ - hope the foot is healing.

59 days to San Francisco.

Modified for arithmetic correction.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Imminent Catastrophe

1 easy TM mile to test the foot, it wasn't bad, and a few hours later no ill effects. Monday it was hurting and I was in a very foul mood but today I'm feeling a little more optimistic, that one miler might be my taper! Ice today and massage tomorrow with focus on the foot. 11 days to Deadwood.

Trey, good luck getting ready for

"SanFrancisco!"

(Inside reference for fans of HBO's "Deadwood")

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

5 miles easy today.

Trey - That is one of the funniest race reports ever.  Sometimes it seems like a good story is worth more than a great run.

Anne - Good luck on the HM this weekend.  It sounds like you are ready.

Brian - That 5K course sounds very interesting.  Your race report sounds just like mine.  It's hard to PR when you are hot and tired.

...---...

Russ - fingers crossed here on the foot.

Heffa - although I'd prefer to have run a solid, well planned, adequately prepared race, I have to admit (now) that the comedy of it all will be a great memory. Last year at this same race, I was passed on a HILL by a guy wearing sandals (Teva's I believe) with a broken arm (left arm in a blue cast), AND running with his dog. I also think he had heavy long cargo shorts and wore a wife beater. Crazy little race that White Squirrel.

Got in a harder than normal 4.6 miles after work Wed. Hoping that I can make up ground on the bunny for the 3 straight week.

Anne - best of luck!

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Dutchie42

Hi everyone, I haven't been running since Saturday. Truth be told, I'm practising walking on high heels  for over a week now. I have this big company do tomorrow night. Dress code is black tie. This means I have to wear a long dress and with it, so I've been told by many women, go high heels. Now I haven't worn high heels in 19 odd years or so. Do you have any idea what it does to my knees???? And back?? After tomorrow I don't have to wear them again so depending on how my knees are, I probably be running again by Sunday. Probably do a short run to see how my knees respond. And hopefully do my long run on Monday.

Dutchie

Imminent Catastrophe

I did 2.5 easy today, that last .5 with the dogs. The foot held up. Then to the massage. She said, "wow, your right foot is really screwed up!". Really. 15 minutes of intense pain followed while she worked on the adhesions on the bottom of my foot. Yikes that hurt but afterward it felt better. I'll take it day-by-day until the race and do as much as I can without aggravating it. I won't lose much conditioning in 2 weeks, anyway.

Imminent Catastrophe

One mile--you read that right--one mile--on the TM, foot is a bit sore after the "aggressive" foot massage yesterday. Then 30 minutes on the elliptical. Pretty similar muscle action without the impact.

Deadwood will be my first marathon since last August and with the foot problem, it's making me nervous!

...---...

Russ - you're doing all the right things. Try not to stress out (easier said than done, I know) - sending all positive energies in your general direction. We'll be pulling for you.You'll be fine endurance wise for sure.

MTA - when I was going through PT with the hip/groin...man, did that hurt - all that poking and prodding and digging in my muscles/tendons. But I saw almost immediate improvements in the days that followed.Hang in there.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Dog-Love

Had a good week that included mostly easy trail runs...one 3+ mile run with 17 kids in the pouring rain on a trail that had 3 pile of bear poop.  Yup...your kids are safe with me!

Busy at work and today I am running a 5K with a group called "Girls on the Run".  Later this afternoon a track meet for my daughter and friends and then...tutoring chemistry to 3 high schoolers. 

I had THE BEST massage yesterday and my left knee, calf, hip that had been bugging me feels  much better

Dutchie:  how are those heels.  I would probably go with a black sandal

Trey...Good job focusing on the young guy screaming "Anna" instead of your heart and lungs

Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

...---...

15 miles - lower humidity, thankfully. No bear poop sightings along my routes. I'm spoiled, I guess.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Wrapped up another 5 day week with a 10 miler yesterday and a 3.7 recovery this morning.  Heron, lots of rabbits, two turtles and a buzzard.  No bears.

Since the marathon I've been working on going from 4 days a week to 5 days a week.  So far I've gone 6, 4, 5, 5.  Training for Chicago starts in 2 weeks.

Can't wait to hear the Deadwood race report.  A local couple ran it last year and their report made it sound like an awesome time.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013