2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly Mileage Check-In for week August 11 (Read 312 times)

Dutchie42

Nothing to report, but thought I'd start the new thread so everyone else can report their runs Clowning around

Dutchie
    Run the day, or the day runs you.

...---...

Honk if you'velost a toe nail due to running. I'm working on 2 casualties now. Black eye

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Honk if you'velost a toe nail due to running. I'm working on 2 casualties now. Black eye
        Two big toenails lost when I made the mistake of hiking a mountain with three women who do triathlons - I tried to keep up with them coming down the hill (hopeless, anyway), and my toes kept jamming into my boots. I've also lost a couple of other toenails due to running. I'm getting used to it now!
        Dutchie42

Honk honk.... Lost two, each time after a long run in new shoes. And I had already been running in them in the shorter runs for a week. Guess it's not long enough Big grin

Dutchie

Imminent Catastrophe

My right big toenail turned black and felt numb but never quite fell off.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Dutchie42

Did a 10.4K this morning with Spooky. Had to go potty twice in the bushes today. Guess having three plums from the garden for dessert yesterday doesn't go well with running Clowning around I really should pay more attention to my food anyway. I know not having a proper dinner makes for a crappy run the next day (no pun intended). So when I skimp on the carbs, my body is quick to tell me at my next run.

Dutchie

A Saucy Wench

Trey - I meant to weigh in on the gels discussion last week. Do I get a "charge" kinda depends on what you mean. Over time (and I mean over the course of several years) I have reduced my dependence on them during training. I now use them rarely and only AFTER I need them. So then, yes I do get a charge, but it isnt a sudden boost. About 10 minutes after I gel I realize that my pace has picked back up and I am feeling stronger. My first marathon training cycle I did what the gel packs said - gelled every 45 min. Dead Last year I gelled about every 7 miles on a long run and I think 10 was my max without gelling. This year I only gu if I am going over 18 and then I gu at 16. At about 14-15 miles I start dreaming of gu. So I get that mile at least of toughing it out. Now RACING is a totally different story. I gel 15 min before every race whether it is 5K or marathon. I dont like to eat a lot in the morning so I take the gel to top off the tanks. For a HM I gel somewhere around mile 7 and again this is gelling before need. (Where exactly I gel depends on water stop - I try to gel about 1/2 mile before a water stop) For the marathon I plan on gelling about every 6 miles. I do believe that reducing my dependence on them for training has improved my body's ability to use fat at higher paces and I overall run stronger. But you have to wean slowly or it isnt fun.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

...---...

Took another rest day Monday. Saturday's long run really took it out of me... some days are just tough runs, especially in this heat. Allergies are kicking up a little lately and maybe that has something to do with my motivation. I'm ready for fall too Perfesser. Looks like the high tomorrow will be in the mid 70's (WOW!). Thanks for the gel discussion all. I learned some things. Group run tonight...planning on 6 miles tempo.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Imminent Catastrophe

Rest on Monday (travel) and today (yardwork). No yellowjackets got me today.

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

The weather was smiling today (74°F, cloudy, very light sprinkles), so I did one of my old standyby interval workouts, something I call the 3-2-1. It's actually 2x (3min Hard-3min Easy-2H-2E-1H-1E). The toughest part is the "turn" when you go from one minute hard, get only a minute of recovery, and then launch into 3 min hard. My goal was to run everything at my current Daniels' I-Pace, which is about 6:10/mi (except for the very last 1:00, which I hoped to blast). It went better than I had expected: 3min- 6:10/mi 2min- 6:01/mi 1min- 5:54/mi 3min- 6:05/mi 2min- 5:53/mi 1min- 4:58/mi I actually had to shut it down a little on that last one -- I had calf tightness that was threatening to erupt into a full-blown cramp. It felt good to get out and run the engine a little, but I probably need to focus more on hills and tempo to get my legs more strong and ready for this kind of running.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Dutchie42

Jeff: your intervals sound like something I do on the TM in Winter. To keep it from getting boring. I'm just not able to do an easy run on the TM. Did an interval training today. Waited for the rain to stop first. So didn't go out of the house till 8:15. Didn't have breakfast. Something that impacted my intervals later on. Anyways, had fun, though if you'd seen me you probably wouldn't have thought so. Spike was digging another hole. Spooky ran one interval with me, then decided that helping Spike dig his hole was much more fun. Mud and dirt was flying all over the bike path Clowning around

Dutchie

...---...

Dutchie - love those dogs of yours. I'll bet watching them go at it digging a mud hole is funny...until time to clean up Big grin My tempo run last night turned into more of a progression. Cooler temperatures and overcast skies helped put a little spring in my step. Was really tight starting out and didn't feel warmed up for a couple miles which is unusual. I never felt completely loose so I didn't kick up the pace too much early on. My overall times were NOT as spectacular as Jeff's but I did manage to run mile 5 at ~8:30 pace (given a decent hill wasn't bad) and mile 6 at ~7:30 pace which is below my current max 5K pace. Surprisingly, I felt pretty strong at the end. I need a live-in massage therapist. Any takers?

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Imminent Catastrophe

6.4 today, and took Crazy Daisy for the first time in months. She was ecstatic. I can't let her off leash much because she bolts for the nearest grass and starts eating it. Do any of your dogs eat grass?

Dutchie42

Yep, Spooky eats grass all the time. Spike only does when he's not feelilng well. Usually a tummy problem. It's his own fault, he eats anything and everything he finds out on the road. Including dirt Confused

Dutchie

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Super duper easy 4 today. My calves are sore as hell from yesterday's interval adventure.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.