2000Km-1243 mile club

February 2012 (Read 384 times)

...---...

I just registered for the Chicago Marathon. One of my "bucket list" marathons. Who's with me?????

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

I would like to do run Chicago at some point, but it is NYC for me this fall.

Imminent Catastrophe

Congrats! That will get you through your rehab. I've wanted to do Chicago for a long time but this year it's Le Grizz and something else I haven't decided on yet. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

...---...

I've also thrown myself into the NYC lottery as well. 2nd attempt. I'll shoot for a sub-4 @ Chicago. IF I happen to get into NY this year, I'll just enjoy the ride with no time expectations. Doctor and Phy Therapist are optimistic that I'll be out of my boot in a week providing I continue to progress as I have so far. I'm allowed to spin now, and maybe elliptical next week. Doc says that perhaps I can start with slow low miles in 3 weeks. The Green Jewel is out but the April race calendar is possible. The North Coast 24 in May is more likely for me - at this point, I've tempered my expectations on distance. I'm okay with that. Being out there running is the most important thing for me. Have a great weekend and good week coming up!

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

HappyFeat

Today is a red letter day! I ran 9 to 10 miles on a trail I just found out about, with a new running buddy. This was our second run together. She'd rather stick to flat asphalt, but was willing to check this out; lucky for me.  It was a splendid trail, very fun like a roller coaster through the woods and along hillsides with beautiful views of the opposite mountains.  We walked the first half mile or so (uphill) for a warmup and then I started my Garmin. It didn't keep very good track, but there were mile markers and we turned around at 5. I'm thrilled to find out about this trail. It's sooo runnable and the scenery is truly revitalizing.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Imminent Catastrophe

Happy, you'll soon get addicted to trail running! Trey, I'm in the NYCM lottery too, I hope to see you there! What an incredible experience that was. 

I bailed on my planned 18-miler today and did 10 easy because my legs are feeling a bit tired and aren't recovering as quickly as they should. Tomorrow I'm hoping to get in a nice 8-mile trail run on what local trail runners call the "Meat Grinder"--the Appalachian Trail approach trail, it's pretty tough. I'll be burning off the Super Bowl junk food in advance!

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

Imminent Catastrophe

It was a beautiful day up on the Meat Grinder, got a good hard 8.5 miles in. 

32km trail / road over the 1st 3rd of the ultra course PerfesserR and I are doing in March......started off really badly when I realised my wife had driven off down the road with my Garmin FR 305 sitting on the roof. No phone reception out there so watch never to be seen again Sad

Trail was very hilly and uneven in places with some patches of gorse, blackberry and hook grasses to make a mess of you legs.

Still a hell of a lot of fun.  Finished up with a swim in one of the many lakes in the area.

Yesterday, carbo loaded on junk food and beer while watching the Super Bowl.  We don't get your ads over hear so all the stoppages were really annoying....Then a 7km run in the afternoon to loosen up.  Whole body was still feeling like crap after Saturdays run.

Easing off on the training now ready for 67 km ultra on 18th Feb.

Is that a 12 miler i see for DrPhibes????

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Is that a 12 miler i see for DrPhibes???? 

Indeed it it, and thanks for stalking noticing.  Before the start I thought I was going to have to break it off after a few miles, but once I got going it went really well.  No significant pain during or after.  Some stiffness today, but that's about it. Hoping to get to 30 this week.

Sorry to hear about the watch.  If I lost my 305, it would be like I lost a friend, or a pet.

And you didn't miss much by missing the commercials (IMO).

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

Hello all of you high milers! Superbowl recovery day yesterday, back onto a normal schedule today.

Short run this morning - I guess its the time of year when sunny and 0*C are perfect weather. Tomorrow (mid week mid long) I'm looking for 6.5/ 7 miles in a bit colder weather.

I guess I need to check out my local trail this Saturday...

A

Recalculating...

HappyFeat

Happy, you'll soon get addicted to trail running!

Well now I'm trapped in this box! oh wellBlush  Anyway...have spent the last few days reading Trail Runner Magazine online and printing out articles like the "Beginners Guide to Trail Running" and "How to Tumble Safely" (!) Do I really need to learn that technique?? I'll probably sprain my shoulder just practicing!  I'm also oogling a pair of the North Face Double Track trail shoes that are on sale at Altrec and sound like they'd be suitable for my overpronation problem.  I've emailed another runner I don't know to try and get her to go with me, since I'm not a fan of solo wilderness adventures.  I have always been an avid hiker and backpacker, but have not really been out in a couple years since DH doesn't want to go anymore.  So trail running seems like a perfect way for me to get out into the forest and mountains I love. The high of Saturday's run is still with me.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Imminent Catastrophe

Oh yeah Happy, you're well on your way. Pretty soon you'll have a couple dozen pairs of Inov-8's. Too bad there aren't very many trails in the Seattle area Wink.

Regarding how to tumble, I practice that all the time, unintentionally. I practiced that 5-6 times at the Pine Mountain 40, then the next two ultras I managed to get through without practicing the tumble. 

Then, yesterday, I did it again. Was it a rocky, steep technical trail? No, it was a freakin' SMOOTH, PAVED, FLAT BIKEPATH! A tiny little crack in the path, I caught my toe, and suddenly I was tumbling. Seriously. How embarrassing. Tore my tights and skinned my knee. Crap.

Anyway after that I had a nice run along the Arkansas River in Wichita, 12 miles total with the middle 10k at a tempo pace, and that 10k would have been a 5-year 10k PR if it were official. So I think that training is paying off!

Darn, Brian, sorry about your Garmin.

Hey, bunny.  You hear that?  That arrhythmic scuffle, scuffle, clop?  Sound familiar? You had a good laugh last year, but I can see your tail now.  I figure you've got about a week left.  Best get your affairs in order, make a few calls. I know you've been wanting to see "The Artist". Now would be a good time. 'Cause you've got 45 weeks of watching my fat ass recede into the distance to look forward to.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

Imminent Catastrophe

I had a good run at the Delirium Ultra near Hilton Head. First, DW won the Hilton Head 5k! 

Then I went to the Delirium, which had 6, 12, and 24-hour divisions. I wanted to run the 12-hour but it was full so I entered the 24, intending to run only 12 (that's the beauty of the timed loop races, you can quit any time and won't be miles from your car and still get credit for finishing). It was a nice course, 1.3 miles on smooth mulched trail and .4 paved bike path, so a fast course. 

I ended up doing 59.5 miles and got unofficial PR's for 40 miles, 50 miles, and 12 hours! And no damage done. Plus got a few hours practice running with the headlamp. All in all a good "training run" for the 100k. 

Oh, and a cool hoodie and beer glass! 

MTA: I also ran my age (plus 6) for only the second time ever. That might be my favorite thing about the run.

That's incredible.  Congrats to you and your wife on the big accomplishments!

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

Future Goals: 5:30 mile • 19:30 5k • 33:30 8k • 42:00 10k • 1:15:00 10-mile • 1:40:00 half-marathon • 1000 miles