2000Km-1243 mile club

February 2012 (Read 384 times)

HappyFeat

Very well done, Russ! So was the course just a 2-mile loop? What did you do to hold your interest for 12 hours? Listen to an audiobook or something?  maybe a motivational podcast? Without a scenery change, that seems quite daunting of an endeavor. I hope that beer glass was given to you full!

Deepest sympathy over the loss of your Garmin, PukeSad

So I've decided not to do any special training for trail running since that idea has already backfired on me. I ran last Wednesday trying to practice some core stabilization technique which I won't share since it was a bad idea to begin with and ended up putting my back out the next morning...can't help but think the two events are related. Anyway, I'm recovering, but it was the worst episode I've ever had.  I tried running last night and managed 5 miles with brief blips of "no pain." I think it helped my recovery though because I felt better this morning and tonight I ran 6 miles with only brief blips of twinges. Big sigh of relief and a further commitment to "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Imminent Catastrophe

Happy, I did all sorts of things, talked to other runners, listened to podcasts, and just zoned out, it's kind of like meditation. This is one of my favorite podcasts--Bigfoot, alien abduction, ghosts, zombies, winged entities, all that kind of stuff. Then there's 3 Non Joggers, 3 guys sitting around drinking and talking about running. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Has anyone seen the new Suunto Ambit.....I think I can start to forget about my Garmin FR 305 now. Just got to convince DW that it is an essential training aide.....still finding it hard to just run with a stopwatch after so many years, you do get used to just checking how far you have got to go / have been.

27km trail run on Saturday.  Finally starting to warm up down here so had to practice carrying two water bottles.  Although I still feel it won't be as warm as usual by the time you are here for the 100 Russ.  And the Lake Levels are still high, but I hear the blackberry may have been dealt to.  BTW,  good buildup to Tarawera Russ...throwing in a casual 59 miler Smile  My last long run is a 67km roadie this weekend....keep telling myself it's just another long run....

Happy....beware the addiction. But good plan to not do any special training for a trail run.  After all, the run is the training.  Just have to remind yourself to take it is easy, and enjoy the scenery on the way.  I have yet to see a boring trail...although some have come close.

Flatten that bunny DrPhibes, never did like rabbits....they are a pest down our way

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Looking good ultra runners!

Nothing to see here - just following the plan and slowly increasing miles. Weather has been fluctuating wildly between icy and super cold -15*C (treadmill time!) and greenhouse effect Springtime like this morning +4*C and the air smells like clean ocean and new grass.

Any shoe recommendations?  neutral trainers - I'm looking at NB1080s - I just purchased Mizuno Riders which are my regular shoe. Nike Pegasus was just OK, Brooks Ghost not OK weird high arch (and I have high arches)...

Happy: hope that back is getting better.

A

Recalculating...

Russ - Great running

Happy - I have really enjoyed adding some trails to my runs, not many options around here though.

Puke - Good luck tomorrow

A - Just a couple more weeks and we will all be enjoying longer days and warmer temps

My mileage has been lacking the last couple of weeks.  Too much stuff going on.  It's got me worried about my BQ attempt in a mere 4 weeks.  I'm racing a half marathon next weekend that should give me a good idea of where I stand.

HappyFeat

Glad you checked in, Jeff.  I've thought about you several times and hope things are going smoothly for you and your family.

My back is slightly better every day. I'm running, mostly TM, once outside. I'm going to hold off on trail running until I have more shock absorption and range of motion in my back.  So this makes one injury per month for me this year...can't help but wonder/dread what March will bring me!

Our local Park & Rec Dept is finally getting with it. They host the Rain Deer Run every year.  This year the RD has decided to add on a St. Patrick's Day Run and is encouraging costume attire. I signed up for  the 10K and picked up a green glitter foam tiara to wear - now if I could find some green lace princessy elbow-length fingerless gloves to complete my outfit, I'll be ready! oh yeah and IF my back continues to heal up.

Ayola, I don't know anything about neutral shoes, but I saw where you were looking for sock recommendations. I've been wearing Wigwam for about a year or so and think they are the greatest, but we don't get the very cold temps like you do; so I don't know how warm they are that way.

Best of luck in your Ultra Race tomorrow, Puke.  41 miles is a very long way!! You ultra runners are soo inspiring!

This is all I have time for right now. Will check in again later since I feel like I'm forgetting something.

Thanks for all the good wishes guys. Finished the 67.5km in 7:45. Good time for me considering summer decided to turn up a last in NZ.  Suffered from the heat from about 46 km onward.  Battled through with he help of some ice and lots of fluid/electrolytes.  Had been struggling to eat for about 35km.  Happy - is it really 41 miles? That sounds much longer than 67km

Quads are dead today, but that will pass.

Sorry to hear about this months injury Happy. But it does sound like a great costume for you 10k next month

Good luck with the 1/2 heffa

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

Well, I was a little off, Puke.    67.5 km = 41.94 miles to be exact

Great job running that in 7:45 !! That's a very nice pace!

Imminent Catastrophe

Wow puke, that IS a good time for 41 miles! And way to bounce back, that's what makes ultras so hard is that you can have a meltdown but still have to bounce back because you still have so far to go. I sure hope it cools off a bit before next month!

Glad you're getting back on track, Happy.

I had a nice Half Marathon today, 1:42:55 in hills, wind and rain. Second-fastest HM ever (and the other was in 2007 on a fast, downhill course). Got 2nd in age group and qualified for Time Group A in Peachtree, which is pretty cool. NExt weekend is a tough one and my final tuneup for Tarawera. 

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

HappyFeat

Another great race for you Russ! Congratulations on your fast time and AG 2nd place.

My back improves daily. I had a great run yesterday. First a 3-mile warmup with a friend who wants to get back into running. Then after changing into cooler clothes, I want out and ran another 8 miles in a light rain which went extremely well. I ended it feeling like I could run farther, which is The Best Feeling right about now.  I ran most of the 8 on the horsetrail that runs alongside the paved bike trail, and I was able to run up and down both of the 2 steep hills that are on that route. So I feel like I will be ready to run the Adventure Trail again next weekend - unless it's really pouring rain.  I don't want to take a chance of having to do a slip-and-not-fall type recovery move in the mud and relapse my back.

I saw a recommendation elsewhere about the ultrarunnerpodcast.com and have been listening to those lately. I enjoyed the 3nonjoggers.com podcasts until I discovered this one which  now I'm totally hooked on. I may never even run a marathon, but I love hearing all about running long distances.

Imminent Catastrophe

Ultrarunner podcast and 3nonjoggers are both great listening, depending on what mood you're in. I just discovered this one, Talkultra. Ultrarunner Ian Sharman and Ian Corless. A bit jargon-filled but informative. 

PerfesserR - it is supposed to be a lot warmer, but Rotorua and Kawerau have been unseasonably cool this year, so keep your fingers crossed.  At least the Tarawera ultra is mostly under bush cover, whereas the one I did in Taupo was all open.  BTW nice 1/2

Happy - 11 miles, with gas left in the tank...awesome.

Everyone else - sorry if you think you have subscribed to the ultra running group by mistake.  Let us know what you have all been up to.  It inspires me to read everyone's achievements, big or small.  My run on Saturday was just a very small part of a relay race that had >4500 runners/walkers.  Each one of them were achieving their own goals.  I stopped and walked with a few that were struggling on some harder bits.  They thought I was encouraging them, when actually it was the other way around.

One last story of inspiration - I met a guy at the start line who was doing his first ultra. His longest run before then had been 16km, years ago. We had a modest celebration when we went past that distance, then a slightly bigger one when we went past the 1/2 marathon.  He dropped off shortly after that.  I saw him later, a few kms from the finish, still moving and on target to finish in about 9 hours, incredible

MTA just spoke to the guy, and he crashed and burned 2 km from the finish.  DNF. So moral of the story is don't try and run an ultra with no training Smile

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Perfesser and Puke: Great races... T-24 days to Tarawera!

Following my buildup schedule - ran 13.5 miles over the weekend.

On the job front - looks like I'm going to pick up a short term project from a reputable firm today... wish me luck! A

Recalculating...

HappyFeat

Good luck Ayola! Hope you land it.

Got it!

Recalculating...