2000Km-1243 mile club

July (Read 16 times)

I actually do feel rejuvenated on loop turns - I hope this works for you, Happy.

I could probably run 6-7 miles on that Tuesday. A 23 mile week fits in the plan. The Sunday run is more in question - I've reserved the Monday for a make up run.

A

Recalculating...

HappyFeat

By the third loop, I was definitely not rejuvenated - unfortunately. Why did I pick a route with two big hills in it??? Well, it's been awhile and I guess I forgot how hard that second hill is, especially the third time around! So the last mile was very hard, but I did it - my second ever 18-miler - and a few minutes faster than the last one, although I was not trying for that at all.  My mantra for today was Comfort - ha! so elusive in the 18th mile!

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Well done, HappyFeat!

For me it is very difficult to run very far in a loop. After 15~20 km, if I'm close to an exit point, I'll take it! Last week I did a 30km run (the first time I did such a long workout) and I had planned for three more kilometers (to circle another major landmark so that I could later brag about it), but my trail approached the point where I had my car parked, so... I decided I had already earned my cold beer and bailed out... (And I still thing that it was a fair decision - I earned that beer!). This reinforces my appreciation for your 18 miler. Good for you!

Oh, and I think that you'll be OK on your marathon. I mean, it'll probably feel hard, but surely you're expecting it! Other than injuries (knock on wood!) you'll do it fine (OK, probably not fine, but you know what I mean)!

Ayola, happy runs training for HM!

Good running!

Ze

HappyFeat

Oh, and I think that you'll be OK on your marathon. I mean, it'll probably feel hard, but surely you're expecting it! Other than injuries (knock on wood!) you'll do it fine (OK, probably not fine, but you know what I mean)!

This made me laugh, Ze! Thanks for your encouragement. Yes, I know exactly what you mean. I'm going to earn my beer/wine too!  In fact I'm going to stop all wine drinking for a bit starting tonight and see if that helps with my insomnia.  I fully expect this to be way more challenging than marathon training. Lack of sleep is my biggest problem right now though and I'm desperate. Heading out for "an EZ 6 miles" which seems impossible since I feel like I didn't sleep at all last nightRoll eyes

Congratulations on your 30K run too! How did you feel after?  I was hugely surprised the two times I've run 18 miles so far that I was not fatigued that afternoon or the next day. I felt perfectly fine in that regard. Thankfully, I managed to get 2 good nights sleep before them.

Imminent Catastrophe

I did get in a very tough 20 in today, up the hill I call "Mount Doom", it has a lot of somewhat steep parts and wiped me out. I was supposed to do 22 but I was done after 20 and that took me 3:50. My legs really took a beating!

Speaking of loop courses, Tahoe is 2 x 50-miles and believe me, I had decided absolutely and finally that I would not go out on the second loop. This was about mile 43 and I was really wasted. Fortunately by the time I got to the start/finish I had recovered somewhat and I had a lot of support at the halfway point, so I was able to go on. I ran for a little while at Bighorn 50 with a guy who warned me that at Tahoe I would quit at 50 if I didn't have a lot of people encouraging me to go on, and he was right. Loop courses can be good logistically but that urge to quit can be fatal to your run.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

@Happy:

Well, I felt drained. More or less like in the day I completed my first (and only) marathon. I was able to function for all that I had to do (not much anyway, I'm on vacation), it just took a greater effort than usual to get me doing it. But I had no pains, and the next day I hit the trails again, for a small run with my wife. I'm coaching her on a sort of "personal" (you'd probably call it "relaxed" [or, even more correctly, "lazy"], but I have to be very gentle not to scare my dearest customers away) version of a C2K program.

Are your sleeping problems related to the marathon? If so, that's OK, they'll be over in six weeks Smile. Seriously now, I sincerely hope it gets better.

@PerfesserR:

I was surprised to read that you were tired after a 20 miler, even if one with "a lot of somewhat steep parts".  Of course, I don't even dare to imagine what you may call "somewhat steep": did you need ropes and carabiners?) Smile

Cheers,

Ze

HappyFeat

I did get in a very tough 20 in today, up the hill I call "Mount Doom", it has a lot of somewhat steep parts and wiped me out.

No wonder! I looked at the graph showing something like 1000 ft elevation gain in about 3 miles...really tough climb!!!...not even runnable!!

Ze - No, my insomnia is not related to running...although if it was and the cure was to not run, I guess I'd rather go without sleep.

No mount Doom but I ran my long run (10.35 miles) a day early this week, a slow hot and humid slog before going to the office, but DONE. I was a bit under the weather and the work load but I'm pleased to have kept up with the exercise schedule. Planning 4-6 miles for sunday afternoon - its supposed to cool off.

Now let the wedding parties begin.

Happy Friday, A

Recalculating...

HappyFeat

Happy Friday is right!!! Dreadful day at the office so far...Tight lips

Good job sticking to your plan Ayola.

I got bad marks from my PT on TuesdayBlack eye. So every morning now I'll just do my series of exercises and put off any yoga, stretching, foam-rollering, etc til later in the day (as in, if I ever get around to it). This will screw up my effort at doing yoga more frequently.  On the other hand, if I'm cutting out wine in the evening, perhaps I'll be motivated to do more exercise after running....but I don't think so.  Three nights so far, no wine (no withdrawals either, I'm sure you'll be happy to hearBig grin) Somewhat improved quality of sleep from this. Still some work to be done though, including figuring out how to get to bed earlier....because I'm still F-ing tired!!!  DH is too, so we know it isn't the running. Clearly 7 hours sleep is not enough.

HappyFeat

Just done with my LR for the week: 12 miles with 6 faster paced miles in the middle. It was pretty comfortable. Who knew marathon training was this easy?!Clown  I'm waiting for the other shoe to fall......

Sounds like some pretty good training runs going.  Helps that winter / summer is nearly over (depending which side of the world you live on...

Went to the local 1/2 marathon today.  Was going to push the daughter for her first 1/2 finish but the rain was bucketing down so I had to run solo.  Managed to get a new PR of 1:40 so was fairly happy considering the weather.  3 weeks now till my next ultra, but I think I will pull pin on the 24 hour race in October.  I don't think I will be ready for it  Bit of a difference between running for 7 hours and running for 24.  Then again, re-assess in a few weeks time... :-)

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

Excellent Puke!!! Congrats on getting a shiny new PR in pouring rain, no less!  That's a shame your daughter had to postpone her HM debut, but no doubt she appreciated you not drenching her in the endeavor. Is there another coming up in Spring or Summer?

HappyFeat

I just noticed it's almost the end of August and we're still posting in July!

This group is so quiet maybe we should start Fall/Winter/Spring/Summer threads or some other alternative instead of monthly....?

Imminent Catastrophe

Meh, let's just wait until September and start a new thread.

I had a really good hard training run today, 18 miles on a trail, usually I really take it easy for those long training runs but today I just kept pressing at a moderately hard effort and felt pretty good until the last loop (3.5 miles), then was getting pretty tired but kept up the effort. My HR was above 170 for quite a while, I normally NEVER run that hard in training. Met a couple of really nice mountain bikers who also run and I may do some training runs with them since they run too.

Anyway with a (hopefully) fast marathon in two weeks, I've put together three good hard training weeks and hopefully it will pay off.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

Anyway with a (hopefully) fast marathon in two weeks, I've put together three good hard training weeks and hopefully it will pay off.

What marathon are you running? Is it trail or road?

There's the mark of a veteran long distance runner if I ever heard one: only "three hard training weeks" in pursuit of a goal marathon.

Anyone else have goal races they're training for besides Puke and PerfesseR?

MTA: oops Blush didn't mean to forget you Ayola! Well I guess that's all of us regulars ...have an upcoming goal race.