2000Km-1243 mile club

April 2012 (Read 315 times)

HappyFeat

14 mile strenuous trail run for me today. Recall when I did 12 and thought that 6th mile was challenging? I'm able to run all of mile 6 now, but discovered today the 7th mile is practically straight up! Walked most of that obviously. Couldn't believe my buddy running up aheadSurprised. Course I was babying my right AT/calf for the return trip or I might have tried harder.  Maybe someday...  We run again May 12 I think, so I have time to recoverSmile which is good since she plans on 16 miles then. She's in training for Ironman Canada and isn't running the trail every weekend, but will definitely be increasing the long runs as we go. (Did I mention she's 60? I could not be more impressed.)

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Imminent Catastrophe

Today was a biggie for me. Ran the Carmel Marathon in Indiana (that's pronounced CAR-mul like the corn, not car-MEL like in California). I felt in pretty good shape, I've felt pretty good running 8-minute pace but never attempted to do that for a really long run. I ran 8:12 for the last half of Eisenhower last week. So today the temps were mid-40's and overcast, perfect running weather for me, and the course is fast so I figured I would latch on to the 3:30 pace leader (that's an 8:00/mile pace) for as long as I could, then coast in when I couldn't keep it up. Well, the pace leader didn't show so I was pacing on Mr. Garmin. I figured I had a small chance of keeping up that pace for the whole race which would be a 3:30.

I kept up that 8-minute pace until mile 14 when I lost a minute in the portajohn, then at 16 I started to tire and slip behind my goal pace. I was so close to my goal pace that I couldn't stand the thought of missing 3:30 by just a minute or two so popped a caffeine GU-gel and tried to keep moving at that pace. 

Long story short, the last 8 miles were just agonizing but I put the hammer down (miles 22-24 were especially painful, into a headwind) and managed a 3:28:27. 

That's a PR and most importantly, after 7 years and 60+ marathons, I finally qualified for the Boston Marathon. I still may not get in (due to their qualifying procedures) but just getting the BQ has been a goal for so long that I'm really happy. 

Happy, those tempo runs are a big part of today's results. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Great story, Russ!  Congratulations.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

Great run Russ.  After the loop of despair this must have been easy ;-) Congrats on the BQ

22.5km trail run Happy?  Sounds better in km.

10 km yesterday at 5:20/km pace then Sunday agreed to run with a friend who is also doing Rotorua marathon on 28th.  She reckoned it would just be an easy pace run, but finished up doing 12km at 5:10/km pace.  Still, it felt OK so kept up.  Felt like I could have done a few more km at that pace.  Where is a 1/2 when you need one?

Easy week then Rotorua Marathon on Saturday.  Just going out to treat it as a training run, famous last words............

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Wow, I guess I really need to do those tempos! Congrats.

Yesterday's 12 was just ok. Cruised through miles 4-9 but the last big hill made the last few miles a bit of a chore, I'm acclimating to Warner weather (50*F ha ha). Today a recovery run after tea...

Recalculating...

HappyFeat

Great effort and obviously a hugely satisfying reward, Russ - congratulations!

Good job on your 12 miler, Ayola.

Sounds like you had fun on your run yesterday, Brian.  I'm sure you'll do great next weekend.

Yoga for me today - after some house and yard work.

Dutchie42

Just dropping in to see how everyone's doing and say hi.

After being on the computer at work all day, and then again doing my school assignments on the computer in the evenings, I can't be bothered to log on much for other reasons. But I occasionally check how things are going.

You are all doing so much better than I am. Keep it up everyone Smile

Dutchie
                Run the day, or the day runs you.

It's a Dutchie sighting!  Hang in there, you'll get your mojo back soon.

Russ - Great run!  It is hard to say what the registration window will be for Boston next year.  With the new qual standards it's possible that just BQ will get you in.  Hope to see you there.

I had a proud racing moment this weekend.  I dragged my 14 year old boy to a small local 5K Saturday.  He has been training for a 5K that his school is putting on and his coach wanted him to run 3 miles for training over the weekend so I thought it was a good match.  He ran this same race last year and finished in 33:30 and was 8 of 8 in his age group.  This year he did a 27:30 and was 2 of 5 for his age group.  He was not very happy with me when I suggested he run the race but the look on his face when he got called up for his AG award was priceless.

HappyFeat

Hi Dutchie!

What a great photo, Jeff. Nice to be able to share running with your son. Glad he did so well. Congratulations.

I did about 8 hours yardwork yesterday, and am more sore from that than my LR on Saturday!  Good thing tonight's run is scheduled to be an "easy" one.

I had a proud racing moment this weekend.  I dragged my 14 year old boy to a small local 5K Saturday.  He has been training for a 5K that his school is putting on and his coach wanted him to run 3 miles for training over the weekend so I thought it was a good match.  He ran this same race last year and finished in 33:30 and was 8 of 8 in his age group.  This year he did a 27:30 and was 2 of 5 for his age group.  He was not very happy with me when I suggested he run the race but the look on his face when he got called up for his AG award was priceless.

This is so cool.

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

I think I'm finally ready to try and dial up the intensity.  I've built volume back to about where I was last spring (just 60-90s slower),  but almost everything has been easy or easier (specifically, keeping heart rate in the 65-70% range).  Since I think I'm ready to run a little harder, and people have been talking about tempo runs, I'd like to hear more.  What kinds of workouts?  What speeds? What distances? I'll admit, I've never done much in the way of structured intensity work, just focused on getting the miles in. So, I could use any advice.  Thanks.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

HappyFeat

drphibes - have you seen this calculator?

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/index.php/site/calculator

To use it, you don't have to enter your email or sign up for anything. Just plug in your numbers. I got an extremely useful report with recommended paces to base my workouts on. So I would recommend that for starters. There may be other calculators out there, but this is the only one I've used and I've found it to be accurate for me.

drphibes - have you seen this calculator?

The times it gives me are remarkably acurate for what I usually use.  They might be a little aggressive for starting out but they should work great once you work up to them.

Jeff - I love that photo!

Getting ready for an easy 5-6 miler this morning, its foggy and cold but getting green out there - it looks cinematic like Cary Grant could be right around the corner in a trenchcoat...

I haven't run or exercised much this week due to work obligations. Luckily the stressful week (+house hunting - need I say more?) fell into a planned rest week.

I've looked at the McMillan calculator in the past - its very useful. I usually have a cheat sheet from the site printed out on my desk to review if I'm trying an interval run on the treadmill.

I hope all is well out there! Happy saturday, A

Hi Dutchie!

Recalculating...

HappyFeat

Happy Saturday - let's make it a good oneSmile

Ayola, I bet your run will feel very good this morning after the week you've had.

I'm planning on doing my "rolling hills" 10-mile paved bike trail route early this afternoon. Hoping for some improvement over all the other runs this week which were slower than I planned on. Think I've been fighting a virus of some kind.

Good luck in today's marathon, puke!

Good luck in tomorrow's marathon, PerfesserR! Jeez! I just looked up the descriptionSurprised

"The Toughest Road Marathon in the World
                                The Only Uphill Marathon in the US with over 6000 ft of Climbing"