2000Km-1243 mile club

May! (Read 14 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

Well I've gone and done it. After running so strong at Boston and Big Sur I've registered for the Pig* on Sunday. I love that race and did well last time I ran it, so we'll see how it goes.

Boston 2 Big Sur 2 Bacon!

*Cincinnati Flying Pig Marathon

MTA: asterisk

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

You go for it!!!! Have a great time!!

I just got let out of work early  and am going out to enjoy the sunshine and see how smoothly I can run for 5 miles. My running has been up and down with this leg injury, but I think (hope) I'm finally on the mend. Aggressive icing is what has done me the most good. Planning on giving 12 miles a shot tomorrow.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Dutchie42

Good luck, Perfesser!

Happy: noone ever lets me out early from work Roll eyes

Dutchie
        Run the day, or the day runs you.

Just went out and ran Rotorua Marathon for the 5th time.  It still has my number, but did get a new PR of 4:04.

So happy with that, but could have done better. Still fatigued from my 100 and went out too hot early on.

Still, it was fun, apart from the nausea and cold sweats at 32-36km.  Another marathon finished.
          It was run on May 4th (Star Wars day) So if i hadn't been trying to get a PR I may have got dressed up as a storm trooper.

Good luck in the pig Russ.

Hope the leg gets better Happy, have fun on the 12 miler.

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Congrats Puke!

Happy - take it easy on the 12 miler. Listen to your legs...

For me another up and down week. Alls well that ends well, hubby is recovered from illness and (one) client is happy. Resting today (digging in the garden) running 10 tomorrow.

Happy Saturday, A

Recalculating...

Wow, I lose track of the board for a couple of days and you guys go knock out some nice races.  Congrats Russ, Brian and Brian (Puke).  Very nice performances all around.  I got the bright idea to run a 50K today.  I should have known just when I do something crazy (like running a 50K on a whim) that Russ would go do something crazier.  Russ, I think you should trademark the Boston-Big Sur-Bacon name.

My 50K was much more painful than I anticipated.  The name of the race was Singletrack Maniac and it was aptly named.  It was a rather difficult and technical single track course.  I had an idea that I would finish close to the 4 hour mark but I was sadly mistaken.  I had very bad cramping from 18 miles on and had to really adjust my goals mid race.  The last 10 miles were a brutal series of run-walks involving lots of trips and falls.  I was in 6th place overall when I started the run-walk and thought surely I would be overtaken by somebody.  Instead my perserverance paid off and I ended up overtaking 2 others that were suffering more than me and came home 4th overall and 1st place for masters in a time of 5:05.  It was a small field but I will still claim bragging rights!

Wow, I lose track of the board for a couple of days and you guys go knock out some nice races.  Congrats Russ, Brian and Brian (Puke).  Very nice performances all around.  I got the bright idea to run a 50K today.  I should have known just when I do something crazy (like running a 50K on a whim) that Russ would go do something crazier.  Russ, I think you should trademark the Boston-Big Sur-Bacon name.

My 50K was much more painful than I anticipated.  The name of the race was Singletrack Maniac and it was aptly named.  It was a rather difficult and technical single track course.  I had an idea that I would finish close to the 4 hour mark but I was sadly mistaken.  I had very bad cramping from 18 miles on and had to really adjust my goals mid race.  The last 10 miles were a brutal series of run-walks involving lots of trips and falls.  I was in 6th place overall when I started the run-walk and thought surely I would be overtaken by somebody.  Instead my perserverance paid off and I ended up overtaking 2 others that were suffering more than me and came home 4th overall and 1st place for masters in a time of 5:05.  It was a small field but I will still claim bragging rights!

5:05!!!!! I think you can claim more than just bragging rights, that was awesome

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

Everyone deserves a round of applause....

Congratulations on achieving a new PR, Puke!!  Nausea and cold sweats - what would cause that?

I agree with Puke - great finish time on a tough course, Jeff! Congratulations on your OA and AG placement. Trail races are quite a different animal than a road race -- such an element of unpredictability to them.

Delighted that the Dutch have a King now! Are the celebrations still ongoing, Dutchie?

After months on end of gray and 40F, we suddenly have 70F and sunshine! It's been an fantastic day weatherwise and a great day for a run. My 12 miles went quite well, other than leg fatigue in last 3 miles....couldn't seem to pick up my feet...they just scuffed along.  My hamstring has improved quite a lot in a short time as evidenced by the difference in my pace from last Saturday (12:40) to this (11:34). I think the other night when I accidentally re-tweaked my leg, I may have corrected something from the original injury. No clue what, but it seems to have helped.

Dutchie42

Heffa: fantastic 50K on a difficult course!

Puke: congrats on the marathon. Was it close to home? You actually have Star Wars day????

Ayola: good that hubby feels better. How are you feeling?

Happy: enjoy the weather and be careful with that hamstring.

Dutchie
                    Run the day, or the day runs you.

Congratulations on achieving a new PR, Puke!!  Nausea and cold sweats - what would cause that?

Probably going to fast too early and depleting my energy stores too fast. :-)  Maybe slightly dehydrated...

Dutchie - yep it was a close marathon only 1 hour away.  5th time I have done it, one of the harder marathons in NZ.

Star Wars day is an unofficial Holiday in New Zealand - every year on May the Fourth.  As they said in the movie " May the Fourth be with you" :-)

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Great races Jeff and NZ Brian. Great stories of perseverance, both of you.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

Jeff - congrats on the AG at 50K!

Feeling pretty good this evening. I ran  some miles at my HM race pace today during the long Run And it went well.

i just figured out that then new HM route will go directly in front of my house, every runner in Halifax walked/ jogged/ sprinted by my lawn this weekend practicing the route.

Have a great week, A

MTA revised race pace. I'm really slow and undertrained this Spring, just hoping not to PW.

Recalculating...

Imminent Catastrophe

Well, that was a hard weekend. Drove up to Cincinnati (310 miles) Saturday morning, got my packet, ate pizza, slept, ran a marathon, drove back home with a GPS-induced 70-mile detour. The damned thing took me down a closed road. So now I am tired.

Anyway, the race...a bit warmer than I'd hoped, I ran well on the first 9 uphill miles, really struggled in the next 11 rolling hills, then finished steady. I had hoped to better my BQ time to ensure that I can get in, and I did, by...wait for it...

10 seconds!

Blew an entire weekend and drove almost 700 miles for a lousy 10 seconds.

Oh well, that's OK, it's still a second-fastest marathon for me and the Pig is really great.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

Just reading about all that drivin' and runnin' makes me tired!! You are an Endurance Master in more ways than one, PerfesserR. Hurray for 10 seconds and running your second fastest marathon - on tired legs.

MTA: and no I have no idea of exactly what key I hit that turned the print so big and blue - before I decided it's time to turn on a light!

HappyFeat

Ran my first mid-week medium long run in a month tonight - 5 weeks to be exact! My leg is on the mend and I'm shooting for a 14-mile LR this Saturday morning.  How is everyone else doing this week?