2000Km-1243 mile club

Treadmills, consumer market (Read 224 times)

...---...

thinking about a TM. Why? -weather conditions prevent safely running outside (like now, lightning and heavy rain) -surface (sometime your legs just need a break from concrete or asphalt) -dog can use it too (supervised, of course) -you can run AND watch "Lost" episodes -great conversation piece when hosting parties -adds decor to your home -gives you something substantial to feature at a future yard sale Any thoughts on what to watch out for (functions, brand names with bad rep's/good reps, etc)?

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Dutchie42

I have one with pre-programmed running programs that I never use! Check for top speed. Not all TM's have the same top speed. Make sure you get one that'll be a challenge for years to come. Check warranty. Lifetime warranty guarantees the manufacturer thinks he's supllying a really great product. Check maintenance that comes with it. Check the belt. Does it have the extra thingy (don't know what it's called) to absorb some of the high impact. Check on calibration of belt (is distance accurate?) Check the display shows all the information you want: speed, distance, time, incline, etc. Check incline and speed can be adjusted in small increments. Some TM's allow for "downhill" running. Check belt is wide enough to ensure comfortable running, even when you lose balance a bit. Happens to me when my kids hang around and I look aside or back. Check noise level at high speed while you run on it. The thump-a-thump can be annoying for the wife. Be aware that noise in a big space is not the same as in a small space. Check for bottle holder(s). Is there one. Does it hold bottle securely. Check for room to put remote (tv, stereo). Would the remote bounce around a lot or is it secure? Are there speed buttons for speed: I mean can you go from 12 to 16mph with a push of a button or do you need to push a button a kazillion times to get there Check the stop button, does the belt slow down gradually or does it halt in one split second, launching you into flight? Well, of the top of my head that's what I'd be looking at. Aaron is on the TM a lot, he'll probably have more input. Always, always go to a shop and run on the darn thing! And not for 30 seconds. Play around with speed, incline.

Dutchie
      Run the day, or the day runs you.

I run for Fried Chicken!

I really don't know much about treadmills even though I run on one a lot. I run at the gym so I don't have much of a choice on make/model. I can tell you what features I do like. I like the little fans on the treadmill, I like being able to switch to a speed by punching in numbers instead of just using up/down. Some quick links I found on treadmills. http://www.treadmilladviser.com http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-322--12391-1-1X2-2,00.html

Imminent Catastrophe

thinking about a TM. Why? -dog can use it too (supervised, of course)
          In my experience, putting a dog on a treadmill is like putting a cat in the shower. Good luck with that!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

...---...

In my experience, putting a dog on a treadmill is like putting a cat in the shower. Good luck with that!
            LMAO.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Ringmaster

Ooooooh, I'm brand new to the group, but I'll jump in because I do most of my running on the TM--I'm a girl and my hubby refuses to let me run outside alone in the dark and since I have to do most of my running before the kids get up . . . what? Oh, we were talking about TMs. Sorry. I'll just tell you that my TM has an incline but doesn't actually tell you what degree of incline you're on, and that's a little annoying, in my humble opinion. If heartrate matters to you, you might look for that feature. For now, I train by feel, so that doesn't matter to me. I read while I run (yeah, nerd alert, I know), so the book-holding thing is a plus. As for water-holders, mine's useless one's I'm running because there's no rubber to keep the bottle secure. Also, our model was advertised as being mobile because it has wheels, but the wheels are the same size as the ones that came on my 26" suitcase and the TM weighs 500 lbs, so it would take a team of weightlifters to roll the thing into another room. If mobility is important to you, check if it really is moveable. Just a couple of things I thought of right away. BTW, you forgot that treadmills make great drying racks. And if you ever get the dog on the thing, please post pictures. Better yet, get it up on YouTube.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
              Mile by Mile

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Another consideration is programmability. My Precor has several preset programs as well as options for you to create your own programs. On this device, what changes over the course of a program is the incline. Which brings up another point. If you're into programs (i.e. to create your own interval workouts), be sure that you can program variable speeds. Mine doesn't (only variable inclines) and I do find that a little frustrating.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

...---...

all info much appreciated. I realize that the initial question sounded naive (I mean, I can read reviews etc) but there are some things in here I didn't think of that I would want to take into consideration...maybe even a deal breaker or two that completely escaped me. There's NO WAY Hobbes will go anywhere near a TM...you should see him when we pull out the vacuum, he kicks in his full force emergency evacuation program. But should he decide to,I'll be certain to take pics.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

...---...

By the way, welcome to the group VixiDu. This is a great group.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Hi all, lurker and first post in this group as I just bought a treadmill two days ago in preperation for the australian winter (even though it doesn't get that cold...) My main reason for getting it was not so much the cold but because streets and paths are very poorly lit around here so would feel safer inside. When buying i looked at the programs, incline, speed (get as high a top speed as you can for intervals, etc) plus a lot of the other things mentioned. The model I got folds up so can take up less room if needed which can be handy. Also importantly it is worth looking at the motor, mine was 6HP, I believe that 3-3.5HP is the standard and not really worth having anything below that. Also worth looking at what warranties are included, often different warranties for parts, motors and frames. Hope that helps Hank

Just running for the fun of it!

I have one, it's got a strong motor, big/cushioned running area, and a TV on it (Epic 550 View I think). I can't stand the damn thing. It's more mental than anything. I just get so bored when I run on it. The only way I can even come close to accomplishing a recent run on it is if something really interesting is on that can keep my attention, like a football or basketball game.