2000Km-1243 mile club

December (Read 12 times)

HappyFeat

Yesterday's 10K went as well as it could have: I didn't worsen any of my current problems. I didn't run as slow as I thought I might - or walk, which I also thought was a definite possibility. I didn't run a PW.  I was 2 of 3 in my AG. So....some positives.

On the negative side....I feel burned out and my legs are unhappy with the recent speedwork - minimal as it has been. By the time I completed my w/u for the race, I felt no confidence or energy at all. Fortunately there was another woman running about the same speed for the first 2 miles who gave me a jumpstart. Then she slowed and I spent the rest of the race chasing a gal about 50 feet in front of me. I never did catch her, even though she took walk breaks in the last 2 miles. I just had no elasticity or power in my legs, plus the left ham cramp that never let up.  Time for me to reboot!!! Somehow I don't think that will look much different than what I usually do...but it will need to feel different. Plus I have to get back to foam-rollering and all that sort of thing that I've gotten lazy about.

MTA: This was the first run I've actually used the mantra in my sig line.  It was so hard to keep going in the second half. Those phrases came to my mind and really helped.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Hi there, Happy!

You sound quite sad! That's not good. Come on, races aren't supposed to be fun. I mean, even for non-competitive persons, in races we always push a bit harder the what we're accustomed to. Quite often, we push too hard and end up giving up before the finish line. If we don't give up, that's fine, but only after a few hours or days. I never feel happy at the finish line. Relieved, yes, but not happy. I get to the end of every half marathon so tired that I always think that I wouldn't be able to run another mile. Last month I went to a short uphill trail race (8km, but the last 3km have some 600m ascent). It felt terrible. But after the race, me and my running buddy went down the hill to the start, where we had left the car, in a slow, pleasant run. Oh, it was great!

I don't know, this is just how I feel about it. Anyway, given the distance you've ran this year, you should be proud about your running. Congratulations for that, Happy!

Ze

HappyFeat

Thanks for sharing your experience, Ze.  Yeah....racing....I haven't done much of it... or at least not until the last couple years have I actually trained for them. It's now impossible to switch back to just enjoying the event. So I'm glad to hear you say the same.

Still, what I'm feeling lately is more than a dissatisfaction with a race performance. Even short distances are requiring a monumental physical and mental effort. I think my body is telling me to ease up a bit. I just hope I rebound soon since I need to train for a 25K trail race in Feb which my friend who did it with me last year describes as "a 20-mile effort.".  Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear!

You're right though -- It's been a big year for me with the marathon, a new 5K PR, and more miles than I have ever run before.  It's probably no wonder I'm drained!

Happy - Ze is wise - you have accomplished a ton of mileage and your first marathon! You are probably just adjusting to the bump up in effort. I need a kick in the bump regarding discipline and effort. Maybe a short rest around the holiday will help before sharpening for that February race.

Thanks for sharing your experience, Ze.  Yeah....racing....I haven't done much of it... or at least not until the last couple years have I actually trained for them. It's now impossible to switch back to just enjoying the event. So I'm glad to hear you say the same.

Still, what I'm feeling lately is more than a dissatisfaction with a race performance. Even short distances are requiring a monumental physical and mental effort. I think my body is telling me to ease up a bit. I just hope I rebound soon since I need to train for a 25K trail race in Feb which my friend who did it with me last year describes as "a 20-mile effort.".  Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear!

You're right though -- It's been a big year for me with the marathon, a new 5K PR, and more miles than I have ever run before.  It's probably no wonder I'm drained!

Well, I'm finishing up my Saturday morning tea routine and I'm off to the gym. The streets are too sloppy with ice and slush for good footing. Gotta get used to the treadmill.

Have a great holiday guys. I'm going home to NY for the week, hoping to get some Central Park run in, eat noodles and see my Nana. I'll check in next weekend when I get back to Canada.

Happy Saturday, A

Recalculating...

HappyFeat

Happy Holidays to you too, Ayola. Enjoy your family time!!

Well, end of the year upon us down in NZ and am going to be a bit short on the 2000 km.  Didn't achieve that goal but finished everything else i wanted to.  So all in all not too bad a year.

I think I struggled mentally after finishing my first 100 km race earlier in the year so by the time October and November came around I was not really in a running frame of mind. Although along the way I did manage a PB for Rotorua marathon, Marton to Wanganui ultra and Cambridge 1/2.

Was also struggling in December but then a friend asked me to join him for a 30 km run.  This is after doing nothing more than about 15 km over the last few months. Was a bit of a struggle but got it done.  Followed that up with another 30 km run the next weekend, this time off road and in pouring rain.  Loved it again.  Think I might have got my mojo back.

So plans for the year ahead;

• March - I am not doing the Tarawera ultra this year.  Instead I am pacing the last 40 km for the mate who dragged me out for that run when I really needed it.
              • May - Having another crack at going sub 4 at the Rotorua marathon - might actually train properly this time
              • August - Try to go under 100 min at the Cambridge half
              • September - Marton to Wanganui ultra.  Two options, try and go under 6:50 for the 66 km, or join a colleague and attempt the first ever Wanganui to Marton to Wanganui run
              • November - Maybe, just maybe, the 100 mile Round the Mountain ultra.....all on road

So happy new year all, hope you have a good one

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Back in the small city from the big city, doing my morning tea and routine before the gym... Very thankful to see my family once a year but I especially appreciate being back at my new home despite it's continued construction status. The noodle quest was somewhat achieved last week and there will be champagne this evening. There will be LOTS of work to do next year, cough, tomorrow.

I'm wishing you all a great 2014, I'll be here next year with the same (stretch) goal for next time...

Happy Tuesday, A

Recalculating...

Imminent Catastrophe

Closed out 2013 with 107 miles at Across the Years 48-hour. I hit my goal of 100 miles in 24 hours (22:54 to be exact) then after a nap and shower just ran a few more laps while DW finished her first ultra (52 miles!). Ended up with about 1775 miles for the year.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

Closed out 2013 with 107 miles at Across the Years 48-hour. I hit my goal of 100 miles in 24 hours (22:54 to be exact) then after a nap and shower just ran a few more laps while DW finished her first ultra (52 miles!). Ended up with about 1775 miles for the year.

Simply AMAZING - both of you!! and Inspiring.