2000Km-1243 mile club

May Days (Read 435 times)

Recalculating...

Back from vacation (a couple of days late thanks to US Air) Time to rework the schedule and get ready for the first HM of the season the local "Bluenose" on the 22nd.

Pre flight delays I had planned on running long today instead I ran an easy 3 this morning and am planning on 8-10 before work tomorrow. I think I can do my last long run 13 miles (next week) two weeks before the race.

Back to reality... laundry and organizing the household bills....Today's regularly scheduled weather was a bit jarring (3*C and rain) and I'm going to have to learn how to be pleasant at the office without a daily dose of rum punch...

A

Recalculating...

HappyFeat

Thanks for starting us off, Ayola. Transitioning back from vacation can be unpleasant; fortunately it doesn't take long before you feel like you never went anywhere - darn it! Back to reality is rightRoll eyes  Good luck with your long run before work tomorrow.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Dog-Love

Had the best (not fastest) trail run yesterday.  3 miles lots of hills and just beautiful.  I feel a bit rejuvenated towardds running again!

Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

Had an ugly marathon in Rotorua. Finished in 4:18, which is nearly 2 minutes better than my PR for this course.  But that is about as good as it got.  Start time was at 10am instead of normal 9am.  RD started the recreation walkers at 8am, so we caught up to them at about 18km onwards. Spent the next 12km weaving amongst the walkers and dodging cars.  Got no rhythm at all and started falling apart at about 30km.  Walked jogged the rest of the way to the finish, which for some reason the RD had moved indoors, where it was cramped, useless for spectators, hot and stuffy. Almost puked.  A lot of very angry people on the course and after the finish.

Chatted with the Tarawera Ultra RD after.  Sounds like that is a lot more fun.

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

Well that's just a shame, Pukekura! Glad you bettered your time, but maybe be done with this event from now on, yes?

Hurray for trail running - sounds like you had a lovely outing yesterday, Crabby!

Rest day for me today. 6 planned for tomorrow night.

Dutchie42

Pukekura: despite the walkers and weird finish, that is a very respectable time! And a PR! Congrats Smile

Ayola: back to reality usually means you forget about the vacation real quick.

Crabby: hold on to that feeling.

Happy: enjoy your rest day.

So not in  the mood for a (long) run yesterday: skipped my long run and just did a very short doggie run. It's nice not to be training for anything Wink

Dutchie
              Run the day, or the day runs you.

Happy - feel much better now I have e-mailed my vent to the RD.  Will be back, it's a really nice course, but may just concentrate on finishing this one in the future

Dutchie - thanks for the support...yep I was happy to at least PR for the course.  I do have a marathon PR of 3:56 which I hoped to get close to.  But that was a flat track,  no-one uses this marathon for PR as it is too hilly.  Gonna try and find another marathon this year to have a crack at beating 3:56

NJPhil....how did you go?

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Thanks Happy, I think I can manage... I feel pretty refreshed from a week off - mind cleared and  legs "unsore" - unfortunately lungs and throat are experiencing a bit of a cold. Pouring rain this morning so I chose the elliptical and nursed the sore throat with tea and honey. I'll try again tomorrow - it may be on the treadmill...

I did try a trail run right before vacation and loved it. I'm looking to try some more after the Bluenose.

Pukekura: a PR nevertheless! Definitely make sure the RD gets some constructive criticism on your race.

Happy Monday - Canadians get out there and vote! A

Recalculating...

Well I completed my first full marathon on Sunday.  It could have gone better if I didn't have this delusion that I was capable of sub 4 with my current fitness.  All in all it was a good experience and something that I will draw upon when I decide to do number 2.  

Now it is back to regular training with some trail races and maybe a few 5k races this summer.

HappyFeat

NJPhil - a hearty congratulations for completing the marathon. Sounds like you didn't have any big problems; just that your speed isn't where you wish it was. All in all then, you did fantastic and, like you say, learned a few things to put to use for next time. Good job!!

Imminent Catastrophe

NJPhil, congrats on your marathon! I'm certain that you're the first person who EVER went out too fast in their first marathon Wink. Seriously, you ran a marathon, and should be very proud, after all, it's a PR!

Let us know when you decide on number 2 (marathon, that is). You probably learned some things that you can use next time. 

I'm kind of winging it, I don't really know what to do this week and I suppose it really doesn't make a whole lot of difference at this point. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

I'm kind of winging it, I don't really know what to do this week and I suppose it really doesn't make a whole lot of difference at this point. 

Yeah - some kind of rest or taper might be in order dontcha think?? or at least just do easy paced runs to keep all the parts working, but not tire you out for Saturday.

I ran my Monday night 6-miler with the last two miles at goal pace: 10 mpm. Tried to make myself think it was a "relaxed pace."Clown It actually kinda felt like that for the first of the two miles. I have a pattern developing in terms of Mondays in that the last several have been really good runs for me.

Loves the outdoors

I've had two crappy runs in a row. I was hoping for better from May. I am wondering if my sticking to a lower cal intake over the last couple of days has something to do with it? Or it could be the hard week the week before where I hit my highest mileage ever - 73km! The chocolate I ate tonight should let me know for tomorrow's run Smile

NJPhil - congrats on your first Marathon! I can't imagine running for that long yet - you should be proud!

Pukekura - I thought the Rotorua Marathon was the "must do" race, but that doesn't sounds so good. Still a good time given the obstacles. It sounds like Rotorua had a bad time all around as Mandy said they changed all the half marathon times by 2 mins the following day

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

Congratulations Phil!

Perfesser  REST! OK, I guess I used my daily quota of exclamation points. Really - whatever rests means for you, I always feel better running/ cardio small amounts rather than a complete stop.

nzrun - wow 73km... I always find my crap runs have to do with not enough sleep and background stress (office etc) Careful with reducing calories and increasing miles at the same time.

Yesterday moderate 6, today easy 3, tomorrow 6-8.

A

Recalculating...

Loves the outdoors

Just had 2 great runs in a row, including a hill session today! I am eating more, I can't help but wonder if there is a link and I was restricting my calories too much. This losing weight while in relatively heavy training (for me) seems very hard!

I got stopped on my run on Tuesday by a woman who was concerned for my safety. The previous day at 5pm a woman had been attacked while running along my favourite running route. This is the second time in a month that a woman was attacked during the day in the same spot by what appears to be the same offender. I had run past there on both occasions only a few hours beforehand. It's actually one of the least secluded spots on my running routes, so it's a real worry to me. This is unfortunately going to change my running a bit over the next few weeks until they catch this low-life. I run probably 5 out of 7 days along this route by the river, so hitting the streets is going to be mentally very tough for me. I would have thought running during the day in areas where there are often people about would be enough to keep me safe, but apparently not. 

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.