2000Km-1243 mile club

May Days (Read 435 times)

Well I completed my first full marathon on Sunday.  It could have gone better if I didn't have this delusion that I was capable of sub 4 with my current fitness.  All in all it was a good experience and something that I will draw upon when I decide to do number 2.  

Now it is back to regular training with some trail races and maybe a few 5k races this summer.

Congratulations NJPhil.  A lot of parallels with my first marathon a couple of years ago.  Unfortunately I didn't learn from my mistakes and had a worse marathon next time around. Somehow got it into my head that since I had done one, the next would be easier Smile.

One thing I have learnt is that you can get a day when everything is absolutely perfect and you exceed all expectations.  Then you get another day, when you are the fittest you have ever been, but somehow the marathon gods are against you and it all turns to custard.

Good luck with your next one. As you will find out it can be quite addictive,

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Pukekura - I thought the Rotorua Marathon was the "must do" race, but that doesn't sounds so good. Still a good time given the obstacles. It sounds like Rotorua had a bad time all around as Mandy said they changed all the half marathon times by 2 mins the following day

Turms out the RD was concerned about declining entries so decided things needed to change.  Don't really think an indoor finish is going to get more marathon entries.  I think they need to emphasis the traditional aspect.

They did introduce a 1/2 for the first time this year, which I didn't have any issues with.  I did hear something about the timing being wrong for a lot people.  Hopefully all rectified for next year.  After 5 days of venting at anybody who will listen, I am almost over it Wink

Be safe out there nzrun, sounds scary down your way

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Good luck PerfesserR.  Looking forward to hearing all about it

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Thanks for all of the feedback everyone, got out for an easy 2 miles last night and will try to get out again tomorrow and the weeknd.

Good Luck in the 100k PerfesserR!

We are cheering you on for the 100k. Have a great time Perfesser, A

Recalculating...

HappyFeat

Go for it PerfesserR! One step at a time will get you thereCool  You can do it!

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Dutchie42

Good luck tomorrow Perfesser, you've put the work in, you can do it Cool

Dutchie
                Run the day, or the day runs you.

Not much to report here recently.  Still in my extreme work schedule for at least another 3 weeks.  Outages really take away from my running but I have been enjoying the chance to run at night on my night off.

Puke - It's always frustrating when a race doesn't go your way.  Twice as bad with a marathon since they tend to be so rare.  Chock it up to experience and another tool in your belt for the next one.  Besides it sounds like you did great anyway.

Phil - Congrats on the first!  It couldn't have been that "ugly", you finished.

Russ - Tear it up out there!  I mean slowly but surely.....tear it up out there.

Imminent Catastrophe

Thanks everyone. Today is "what the hell was I thinking" day...

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Loves the outdoors

Thanks everyone. Today is "what the hell was I thinking" day...

Good luck!! 

My long run on Friday was curtailed by my infected toe Sad  I stupidly started on it anyway, hoping that running on the flat wouldn't aggravate it. 2km in on an out and back course it was clearly an issue, so I stopped. I walked back to the car and just the act of walking made it worse and worse until by the time I hit the car I was limping. This is annoying. I was in the groove. I am actually tempted to mutilate a pair of shoes so I can get back out there.

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

HappyFeat

12.3 miles for me today on my "rolling hills route." It went fine, but I couldn't have run one step further. Don't know why I was so tired. I was huffing and puffing at a pace that is usually easier. It was an off week for me anyway, so now it's done. Didn't make my 30 mpw goal, but still feel good about what I got done in terms of speed work.

Thinking about Russ... looking forward to hearing that he rocked the Miwok!

Imminent Catastrophe

Well, I finished in 14:11 or so. Not quite the 14:00 I was hoping for but a decent time and I did beat the sunset which was my secondary goal (I didn't want to use my headlamp). It's a very hilly but spectacular course on a beautiful day. Many long, punishing downhills after mile 48 just murdered my legs. Thanks for the good vibes everyone!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Loves the outdoors

Impressive Perfesser! That is amazing stuff.

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

HappyFeat

You're amazing, PerfesserR - that sure seems like a fast pace to keep up for 100K with 9500 feet elevation gain AND loss. Wow - you're definitely My Hero!

On your feet for more than 14 hours?  Pretty cool.  Good job!

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013