2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly check-in: 26 April - 2 May (Read 346 times)

Dutchie42

Hi everyone,

New week, make it a good one.

Mine's off to a bad start. I've just been diagnosed with retinal detachment in my R-eye and will have a procedure done shortly.

I'm not allowed to run for a while. Don't know how long yet. I'll keep you guys posted!

Put a run in for me you guys.

Dutchie
    Run the day, or the day runs you.

Dutchie- Detached retinas suck!  I've never had one but know a couple people that have had them.  Hope everything goes well with the surgery.

Dutchie: I'm hoping all goes well with the surgery - we are thinking positive thoughts.

Heffa: Sorry to nag you last week! I was probably reminded of my fractured elbow (2005/ 6) and wishing I did some things differently, like not drive around in a snow storm without getting it checked out...But now I have an in-built barometer

Rest day for me, A

Recalculating...

Just a dude.

Wow... Detached retina... Yikes...

Eye injuries are just freaky to me... I dunno...

Kind of a forced cut back week for me due to scheduling.  I'll only get one hill workout instead of two, and I'll move my long run up to Thursday I think... 

There is a Cowboy Poetry festival in Genoa, Nevada that I will be working at... Mostly running the audio systems and stuff related to that... I'm guessing I'll be there 14-16 hours on Saturday... 

So probably tons of time on my feet and I'll be desperately trying to not get a sunburn... 

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

HappyFeat

Dutchie - Sooo sorry to hear about your eye! I hope your surgery is successful and that you will be back out on the roads before too long. Let us know when you're procedure is scheduled so we can be thinking of you and sending healing thoughts your way.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Imminent Catastrophe

Dutchie--sorry to hear about your procedure. I guess that'll mean some down time for you. Keep us updated, we're all pulling for you!

Found a nice trail nearby, it runs along a lake for a 3.2 mile loop and is very runnable, shady and scenic. I wish I'd found it sooner. The dogs and DW had a nice little run, I'll be back!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Dutchie42

Hi guys,

Yesterday was filled with doctors, examinations etc. I started at my family doctor. He called the eye surgeon at our local/regional hospital. Spent about nearly 3 hours there. Then the eye surgeon determined the retinal detachment was too severe and they didn't have the expertise to deal with it and I was sent to the teaching hospital in Amsterdam (which is way better than our local hospital).

After another couple of hours they determined there was a horse shoe shaped tear in the retina at the side of my nose and a lot of fluid had leaked behind the retina loosening it near my nose and the bottom of my eye. Now it hasn't torn completely loose and I still have a 100% vision.
                Today at noon I have to go back to hospital and have the procedure done at 2PM. I will have local anesthesia (they inject it behind my eye). Then they'll first drain the fluid behind the retina. This will let the retina rest agains the wall of the eye again. Tthen use a kind of freezing method to close the tear. They then inject a gas into the eye that will keep the retina in place. The gas will disappear over time (but I'm not allowed to fly for 6 weeks, not that I had any plans anyway ). By then, the retina will have attached to the wall of the eye again. After the procedure I need to stay on my left side for as much as possible.

I have a high negative myopia (I think that's what it's called in English) which has an increased risk of a retina detachment as I get older. Something to do with less flexibility of something in the eye. So there was nothing I could have done to prevent this.

I'm actually not too worried. They know what it is, they'll fix it and I'll be good as new in a few weeks

BUT... no running for at least 3 weeks, and no Roparun

I haven't spoke to the retinal surgeon yet, yes, there's actually such a doctor. If he says the same thing, then I guess that's the end of the Roparun.

Dutchie
                Run the day, or the day runs you.

Dog-Love

Dutchie...wow...and you are so brave!  Eyes are such a wonderful organ and I don't like anyone messing with mine.  But your eyes will be in good hand and have a healthy recovery.  I will try to catch up with you while you rest up.

Today 5 miles with Rusty...slow slow slow but very beautiful on teh Dredge Lakes trail

Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

Dutchie: I'm sorry about you missing the Roparun - that's a major bummer. You have such a healthy attitude about the surgery and recovery - I think that will help you get better ASAP. Its great that your health care system is able to tackle this so quickly.

Are you allowed to do other activities that have less impact?

Today: 3 x mile @ 6.0, 6.1 and 6.2 on the treadmill (5 miles overall)

Tomorrow: 6 easy

Its a misty Tuesday, A

Recalculating...

Imminent Catastrophe

Dutchie: I'm curious, what were your symptoms that caused you to get treatment?

I had a very hard and memorable training run today, up a forest road to the Appalachian Trail and up the AT to the Southern end of the AT on Springer Mountain. Then I returned back to the forest road via the much less-famous Benton Mackaye Trail (BMT-named for the guy who basically made the AT happen). Here's the secret--the Benton Mackaye is a lot nicer, more runnable and less crowded. So I really enjoyed my run back down the BMT (well, duh, it was downhill!). It got really cold, rainy and windy on Springer Mountain and actually started sleeting on my way down, and I was in shorts and got really cold, but still, it was such a great run. And one of my hardest training runs ever. 

Total 18.7 miles. Now I am really tired. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

Way to go, PerfesserR - sounds like it was an exhilarating outing!

Did 5 TM miles tonight - test running in a couple different CW-X compression shorts to see if they help me - didn't want to run outside with tags flying. Anyway no magic, plus they didn't fit right; so back they go. 

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Dog-Love

I had a great run today with Ron (no Rusty) and his dogs out on the trails.  Fast 6.4 or so run.  THink I will work on speed fora bit as I have been getting very lazy.  Tomorrow intervals
                          Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

Just a dude.

Ahhh... snow again today... did a warm up, 10 strides with a 3 minute jog between, and a cool down...

The grass I was doing my jog in had about 3-4 inches of snow when I was done...

Hard to believe it was 75 last weekend...  and should be mid 60s next weekend...

Hope to do a long run tomorrow if it all works out...

-Kelly

Kelly: Yup - temperatures are up and down, light snow in the mornings - warm afternoons...

3 on treadmill yesterday (rain)

5 1/2 today (still raining - not as stormy) Chatted with a friend walking to work for the last half mile instead of running.

Rest (elliptical and stretching) tomorrow

Loop and the race course on Saturday

Stay dry, A

Recalculating...

Just a dude.

Ran just under 17 last night... My legs wanted to just go, but I kept it dialed back the first 6 or so, and ended up feeling pretty strong.  Was chilly at 38 degrees, and windy to start with... The sun went down about 1/3rd of the way in and the wind calmed down...

I really feel longer runs like this in my groin area... Where my quads attach at the top especially...  

Short day today... Loooong day of working tomorrow so it will probably be short again... May or may not end up with 50 this week...

-Kelly