2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly check-in: 26 April - 2 May (Read 346 times)

HappyFeat

The weekend's almost here! I have an early morning 12 miles planned with another runner. Well at least we'll start together. She's much faster, so we'll meet up at the end.  I actually did my Monday and Wednesday runs faster than anything I've done lately.  I know I shouldn't have done that twice in one week, but Wednesday just felt so right at the time. My legs ached mightily Thursday though, so I took a Rest Day. I might make today a second one to be sure I can manage tomorrow morning in good shape.

MTA: just noticed I'm just 3 miles shy of 100 miles for the month; sooo I'll just have to squeak that in tonight.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

13.1 miles today at 11:27 m/m pace, last two miles around 11:00 - thanks for the advice about picking up the pace Heffa - now I feel a bit more confident about my planned race pace.

A

Recalculating...

HappyFeat

It was a beautiful morning which started with heavy mist clearing to sun. My run included ocean views and rolling hills through pastoral scenery. Really lovely to see. The actual running part - not so lovely. Well the first half was, but the rest not so great. I only made it 11, not the planned 12; and the 11th was miserable. My leg muscles all started cramping up at the end. I had plenty of food drink and caffeine, so I think getting only 5 hours of sleep last night is the likely culprit, plus perhaps the two faster runs last week. Dunno. Hope next week is easier.

Ayola - Congrats on the successful long run.  Almost a PR on a training run....that's awesome.  I know you are going to do great in the race.

I've been taking it easy with the sore foot.  Did 10 miles of bike yesterday and 15 minutes of swimming today.  I am lucky enough to have a nice sized pool and  the air was up to 89F today and pool temp of 75F.  Possibly doing a sprint tri in June so I'm using the down running time for some cross training.

Imminent Catastrophe

Well, I just got schooled on heat acclimation. I did what was supposed to be an "easy" run along the waterfront in Panama City, which has a nice, flat 3-km bike path with restrooms and a statue of Balboa (Vasco, not Rocky) who "discovered" the Pacific Ocean in 1513 (I'm pretty sure the natives already knew about it).

It's been a long time since I ran in the heat and it showed. It was mid-80's, very humid out in the tropical sun and the last couple miles were just dreadful, a very slow pace but my heart rate was up in the hill-repeat zone, I even took a couple of walk breaks but still had a hard time. I had an 8-oz. bottle of water that was probably not enough so dehydration was probably a factor, I was just drenched. 

Anyway, it was a good wake-up call for Summer running 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

Once upon a time I read somewhere that you have to run 12 days in warm weather for your body to get acclimated. Running 7 miles in 80 degrees with high humidity when you're not used to it might actually be risky. You probably needed some kind of electrolyte replacement drink, not just water.  I'm glad you survived. 

I had a good news/bad news run this afternoon. For the first time since January's disastrous attempt at running the day after a long run, I did a 3-mile recovery run after yesterday's long run - and my legs felt perfectly fine. Yaay! Proves I'm making some kinda progress.  The bad news was I tweaked my back this morning and at 2.8 miles, it flared up and sent shooting pain down my right leg causing all the muscles to spasm quite painfully. Dang!

Just a dude.

Very encouraging run today...

3.5 mile warm up...

800m time trial... 232.9

200m time trial... 31.9

3.5 mile cool down...

The 800 is moderately faster than I thought I could do... 

The 200 shows I am lacking raw speed...

But I am definitely happy...

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Total for the week: 8 miles (lowest in months and months)

Mon.: 4 miles

Tue.: bad cold

Wed.: traveled to Boston (still with cold)

Thur.: 4 miles in Boston

Fri.: tired after travelling, cold returns

Sat. & Sun.: we've gotten 13+ inches of rain since Saturday morning.  Severe flooding.  Hasn't affected us directly, but a)we're staying off the roads to not get into trouble; b)most of the places I run are now under several feet of water.  Many, many homes flooded, several deaths, so we've had it very easy compared to others in the area.  Amazing how easily nature can turn everything upside down (sometimes literally).

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

Imminent Catastrophe

Once upon a time I read somewhere that you have to run 12 days in warm weather for your body to get acclimated. Running 7 miles in 80 degrees with high humidity when you're not used to it might actually be risky. You probably needed some kind of electrolyte replacement drink, not just water.  I'm glad you survived. 

Agreed, I underestimated the importance of heat acclimation. Fortunately it's a back-and-forth route and I was never more than 1-1/2 miles from the hotel, I cut my last lap short because of the heat. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016