3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Let's say you wanted to run 53 miles in one day... (Read 76 times)

an amazing likeness

Not an event.

Just 53 miles in 24 hours.

And you're just a mid-pack 45 - 50 mpw old guy runner.

How would you structure the day?

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Feeling the growl again

Interesting question.  Any background on the reason for the arbitrary goal?

There are many ways to skin this particular cat...you could simply go out and jog the whole dang thing and take walk breaks when you need them and get through it all in one fell swoop.

That's really too many miles to try and go for a triple...the breaks get too short.  The other way you could do it is double, say ~40 miles early in the morning.  Getting going again in the evening will feel awful but you should be able to swing 13 miles.

Definitely don't try to split it 50/50.  You need to get the bulk done in the first run.  At least 30 miles in the first run.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

C-R

No real experience except the 50k I ran and I think it may be the perfect way to do it. We had 3 11 mile loops (yeah I  know its 33 miles but the ultra folks say its + or -). Anyway, that was long enough and had access to car or crew station. Now if you do this alone, I would say five mile loop and a place where you can put stuff or crew at the 2.5 mark. Oh and a headlamp.

Now the real experts can tell the proper way to do this stunt.

If your DB, you just run 54 on a freaking treadmill and watch several movies.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

I don't understand the question.  Why not just do it all at once?   If you stop for longer than 10 minutes it will be much harder to start back up.  Run slowwww and just get it done.   Even if you run 4 minutes per mile than your marathon pace it should be doable.

kcam

I've never even run half of that distance before but if I had to do that tomorrow I'd have to try to run it all at once.  There would little chance I could get myself started for a second run having run 40 miles earlier in the day.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Birthday coming up?

I'd say try a run walk pattern.  Walking segments will lengthen as necessary through day.

Have food, drink and potty station available.  A loop past your house maybe.

If loops don't drive you crazy.  Rest as needed while eating / drinking but not by

sitting unless on the potty Wink  Good luck!

mta: And yes, make sure to run slow.

steph  

Folks who haven't run a marathon have done 60+ miles doing a run walk thing at about a 15-16 min/mile average on these 24 hour things.  53 for you is very doable in one stretch.

xhristopher

I'm with Ken. I'd do it all at once super easy. Then I'd take the rest of the week off.

When I turned 40 this summer I went out and ran my favorite distance, 13.1. Really makes me look like a slacker.

Slo

When do we wish you Happy Birthday?

an amazing likeness

Thanks to all for the feedback and advice, appreciate you sharing your experience so freely.

Yeah...was considering it as a possible birthday stunt.  But I was circling around the idea shorter stints...like 10x5mi or 5x10mi and maybe getting some company on the later ones.  Never had considered the do-it-in-1-shot approach -- that's great input...it definitely would be a growing challenge to start the next stint after the excitement of the first couple wears down.

I'm doubting I've got the mental stamina to try this...so might be just a fading pipe dream.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Doing it alone might be tough, find one of those 12/24 hour races and sign up.

I'm with Ken. I'd do it all at once super easy. Then I'd take the rest of the week off.

This.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Thanks to all for the feedback and advice, appreciate you sharing your experience so freely.

Never had considered the do-it-in-1-shot approach -- that's great input...it definitely would be a growing challenge to start the next stint after the excitement of the first couple wears down.

This is where my recommendation would be.  The most I've done in a day is 36 and that was broken up in several segments will time off in between (yes, one of those loooong relay races).  It doesn't get any easier stopping and starting.  You'd be better off going for it in one shot and PACING yourself appropriately.  My FIL targets riding his age every year on his B-day.  He started that when he hit 60 and has been sticking with it for several years now.  Not quite the same as running 50+ in a day but it's a cool idea.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Never having done anything longer than a marathon, I'm sure my suggestion isn't worth much.  But I would probably try to do it in 4 chunks:

Sleep from 6pm until midnight (or as early as you can manage to get to sleep)

Run Midnight for 15miles for 2.5hrs.  Rest/Nap/Eat from 2:30am - 7am. [4.5hrs rest]

Run 7am for 15miles for 2.5hrs.  Rest/Nap/Eat from 9:30am - 3pm. [4.5hrs rest]

Run 3pm for 15miles for 2.5hrs.  Rest/Nap/Eat from 5:30pm - 10pm. [4.5hrs rest]

Run 10pm for 8miles

Obviously, your paces might trim down run-time and increase the rest time.  But this is how I'd eat this elephant.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

My Longest Day Evar was 31 mi: 17mi in the morning with friends, then 14mi at dinnertime by myself.  The 17 was its usual slice of awesomeness.  The 14 sucked.  Hard.

So, my advice would be to break it up however you want, but have company for the latter portion. Smile

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau