3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Sucker Punches (Read 1095 times)

Damn, those are some crappy things to deal with all around, and I hope they resolve themselves quickly. I think the bar is getting set too high in here and soon nobody will be able to complain unless they're in a full body cast. In the interest of helping everybody out, I'll reset...

I have a black toenail. It doesn't really hurt.

There. That's a nice low standard to restart with. Glad I could help.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

I have patellar tendinitis that's making me alter my training schedule.  And a marathon in 16 weeks -- one that I plan to RACE, not hobbyjog.  I'm not the mileage whore that you people are, so I can't just race it on happy thoughts and a massive aerobic base.

But my toenails are pretty, my arms work, and my groin gets compliments everywhere I go.  I'll just shut up now.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

I have 1.5 black toe nails (they almost look metallic) and they no longer hurt (they did hurt for a day or so when they weren't black/metallic).

Is that suitably petty too?

The pelvis is still rotated, my left leg short and my gait still gimpy, I seem to have no mobility in my right shoulder and I have chafe marks in the small of my back and in my underboob area.  Most of that is petty too.

Sorry to hear about the toenail Greg.  Also sorry to hear about the patellar tendinitis Clive (nice groin by the way).  Have you tried doing side planks and slow, controlled lunges (keeping the knee from turning in) to try and help the knee?  Are your hams/calves/quads/glutes tight at all?

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

Feeling the growl again

(nice groin by the way).  

I get that all the time...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Also sorry to hear about the patellar tendinitis Clive (nice groin by the way).  Have you tried doing side planks and slow, controlled lunges (keeping the knee from turning in) to try and help the knee?  Are your hams/calves/quads/glutes tight at all?

Thanks.

The current treatment regimen includes pre-run rolling, post-run stretching, evening ice/compression/elevation and ibuprofen (there, I admitted it).  I'm going to try sliding the workouts more to the bike, which seems to bother it less) and introduce some eccentric squats and whatnot.  I'll throw the side planks in there, too!

I'm on the "flexible" side of the spectrum, for a guy.  Quads are tight, and calves looser, relative to the rest of me.  Glutes are weak, sayeth the PT -- I need to get back on that.  (Not a cure, but it did help.)

Best of luck with your metallic toenails.  (Nice arms, by the way.)

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

I have patellar tendinitis that's making me alter my training schedule.  And a marathon in 16 weeks -- one that I plan to RACE, not hobbyjog.  I'm not the mileage whore that you people are, so I can't just race it on happy thoughts and a massive aerobic base.

But my toenails are pretty, my arms work, and my groin gets compliments everywhere I go.  I'll just shut up now.

That sucks! Hope it eases up ASAP Clive!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Damn Spaniel. I hope you and Pam can get your issues cleared up soon. Getting old does suck.

Thanks Whodat!

My feet are now having some of the same things going on that my hands are. I  had to cut my run this morning short due to what's going on which is a first (for this "injury")  I'm starting to suspect that there is more to what's going on than an impinged nerve though I really hope I'm wrong. This really sucks! No kids and looks like I"m going to be getting some "unexpected" down time though I'm going to retry my run tonight

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

I have 1.5 black toe nails (they almost look metallic) and they no longer hurt (they did hurt for a day or so when they weren't black/metallic).

Is that suitably petty too?

The pelvis is still rotated, my left leg short and my gait still gimpy, I seem to have no mobility in my right shoulder and I have chafe marks in the small of my back and in my underboob area.  Most of that is petty too.

Sorry to hear about the toenail Greg.  Also sorry to hear about the patellar tendinitis Clive (nice groin by the way).  Have you tried doing side planks and slow, controlled lunges (keeping the knee from turning in) to try and help the knee?  Are your hams/calves/quads/glutes tight at all?

Ughhhh@ the rotated pelves! I was diagnosed with the same thing many many moons ago.  CHAFFING SUCKS!!!  And have you had your right shoulder checked and if so what has the doc said about it?

Damn, those are some crappy things to deal with all around, and I hope they resolve themselves quickly. I think the bar is getting set too high in here and soon nobody will be able to complain unless they're in a full body cast. In the interest of helping everybody out, I'll reset...

I have a black toenail. It doesn't really hurt.

There. That's a nice low standard to restart with. Glad I could help.

I HATE HATE HATE complaining!  However if I don't vent about it  I tend to hold it in until something bursts. Anyway thanks for resetting the bar Greg! I think I'm just going to have to put on my big girl panties and keep my mouth shut (if I can)

Feeling the growl again

Thanks Whodat!

My feet are now having some of the same things going on that my hands are. I  had to cut my run this morning short due to what's going on which is a first (for this "injury")  I'm starting to suspect that there is more to what's going on than an impinged nerve though I really hope I'm wrong. This really sucks! No kids and looks like I"m going to be getting some "unexpected" down time though I'm going to retry my run tonight

Sad  Sorry to hear this and hope you are wrong as well....

It appears I will have to control myself from aggressive mileage for awhile, especially in the form of doubling.  While a week of aggressive stretching and icing have more or less relieved the sports hernia-type symptoms, the pelvic joint pain from December has replaced it.  It's fine standing up, but lying down for long periods (ie SLEEPING) leads to significant discomfort.  I took ibuprofen before bed last night, but about the time it should have worn off the discomfort became enough to keep me from really staying asleep for any prolonged period.  I may need to try sleeping in a recliner or something.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I HATE HATE HATE complaining!  However if I don't vent about it  I tend to hold it in until something bursts.

Complaining about it just shows how tough you are and how much you achieve in spite of it.  Which in turn inspires the rest of us.

I think I'm just going to have to put on my big girl panties and keep my mouth shut (if I can)

Well, I whine all the time.  So if you have a spare pair of big girl panties, send 'em my way.

-- Dick LeBeau

.. the pelvic joint pain from December has replaced it.  It's fine standing up, but lying down for long periods (ie SLEEPING) leads to significant discomfort.  I took ibuprofen before bed last night, but about the time it should have worn off the discomfort became enough to keep me from really staying asleep for any prolonged period.  I may need to try sleeping in a recliner or something.

And people compliment you on your groin???

That sounds horrible.  Hope it clears up.

-- Dick LeBeau

Ughhhh@ the rotated pelves! I was diagnosed with the same thing many many moons ago.  CHAFFING SUCKS!!!  And have you had your right shoulder checked and if so what has the doc said about it?

It's been rotating on/off for the last year and goes from asymptomatic to darn right horrible...the worst phase was a few months ago when I was having all those spasming/leg dropping/calf-foot-quad-cramp/knee pain/collapsey-leg/leg shooting in any direction etc issues.  It's now just odd twinges, but it came on with little warning last time so I worry about when it will happen again.  The pelvis is still rotated so obviously that's not the only cause of the issues...but I don't know what else sets it off.  I think I am still running unevenly so that probably isn't a good thing either.

The chafe was one of the things that highlighted some weirdness with my back as they think I rotate too much at the hips and around the shoulders (due to no thoracic spine mobility)...so I get chafage around my waist and in the underboob area. 

Shoulder-wise I haven't had it checked, but might mention it next time I'm at the osteo or when the shoulder surgeon I work with is around for a chat.  Not sure what's going on with that, it moves but is stiff and strange.  It's also aching like it's just been punched for the first couple of miles of my runs.  I don't think falling over at the weekend helped it much.

Anyway, how are things going with you?  I really hope things are stabilizing or improving.  How is the kid-free time?

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

C-R

This thread scares me more than when I first watched Jaws.

Heal up people.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

This thread scares me more than when I first watched Jaws.

Heal up people.

+1

steph