3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Sucker Punches (Read 1095 times)

Walk-Jogger

I ran in 70 deg, sunny weather for one hour today (not to mention the entire week).  The hills are green and the air is clean - good to be alive! There's an orange tree right off my lunch-time trail route (there used to be a farmhouse there that got torn down but they left the tree) and it's full of ripe oranges.  I picked one today and ate it after the run.  Suuhweeet!   Hey wait a minute this doesn't belong in Sucker Punches.  Pace Bunny's getting closer.

Retired &  Loving It

Walk-Jogger

OK I didn't mean shut up literally. Somebody say something...

Retired &  Loving It

Feeling the growl again

OK I didn't mean shut up literally. Somebody say something...

They're all out chasing down the damn bunny.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

There are no hills, the trees are brown and the grass is a mix of green and brown. There's salt and sand on the roads and there are no more remnants of farmhouses in the burbs. Other than that, it was a bright and sun shiny day this morning. The kind that makes you feel all warm and cozy until you step outside and take a deep breath and feel the sharp pain in the lungs from the 14 deg air. Throw in the biting wind that makes it feel like 1 or 2 deg and it can't get any better than that.

Yeah right. Who am I kidding?  Shut up Ken.

Sucked it up though and thought of Ken in his balmy 70 deg weather and pounded out 18.  The only thing that kept me going was the 2 hour mark.

There, silence has been broken.

Feeling the growl again

There are no hills, the trees are brown and the grass is a mix of green and brown. There's salt and sand on the roads and there are no more remnants of farmhouses in the burbs. Other than that, it was a bright and sun shiny day this morning. The kind that makes you feel all warm and cozy until you step outside and take a deep breath and feel the sharp pain in the lungs from the 14 deg air. Throw in the biting wind that makes it feel like 1 or 2 deg and it can't get any better than that.

February is by 2X my least favorite month of the year.  You kind of hit on that.  It's nasty, it's dreary, you came into the month after a few months of dreary, and there is no spring to look forward to yet (shut up Tennessee).

The only good thing IMO about all those houses going up is you had something to block a bit of the wind.  It was not long into my attempted long run this morning that I realized that the 15 mile return leg would be entirely into sub-zero windchill and I was not equipped for that.  So onto the treadmill it was.

You want to see some farmhouses again, wait until the weather gets a bit warmer then pack the kids in the car and come on down, we'll ship them off to the children's museum and hit the roads.  Big grin

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

C-R

I just checked the long range weather report for Orlando and next weekend (86 and 87 high and 60s for the lows). WTF!

How in the hell am I supposed to try and race low in a friggin heat wave. Don't get me wrong, I love having nice weather for vacation but I'm sure glad its only a HM.

Oh yeah and 20 with 15mph winds today was a character builder.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

kcam

I ran without a shirt today ... bitches!    (not a pretty sight)

Feeling the growl again

I ran without a shirt today ... bitches!    (not a pretty sight)

C-R

Because it was needed to be said again. I guess I could run shirtless but frostbite on the nips doesn't sound optimal.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

It fucking sucked. The right side of my face is still numb.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

I just checked the long range weather report for Orlando and next weekend (86 and 87 high and 60s for the lows). WTF!

How in the hell am I supposed to try and race low in a friggin heat wave. Don't get me wrong, I love having nice weather for vacation but I'm sure glad its only a HM.

Yeah, you're screwed. High of 88 on Fri and Sat. Looks to be humid too. On the bright side, it's good weather for vacationing and getting some good pool time in.

Prince of Fatness

This was my run Sunday.  I went up to the reservoir because it is mostly in the woods and sheltered from the winds.  There are a few dams that you go over and it gets nasty out on them.  I purposely go counter clockwise on days like this because it helps me avoid in your face winds.  As it was it was hitting me from behind my left shoulder and the whole side of my face would be turning numb before I got across the dam.  It was so bad that I could not hear the snow geese out on the water over the wind.  Usually they are very loud.

Not at it at all. 

xhristopher

Hey, I went straight from outside New England running to the Disney half last month. It was a hot 65, foggy, and so humid you could see your breath during the run. Be thankful it's just a half because you will get to stop running before it gets really bad. I think it only took me down 5 seconds a mile after about mile 6. At least you won't have to worry about the sun.

One thing I found is that it's almost impossible to run the tangents on wide roads with some camber so your GPS may show a faster pace than you will finish with. I had a 4-5 second per mile difference by the end.

They begin serving beer at 7am. As soon as you finish walk over and get one. It's just Bud but still a good way to rehydrate and get back to your vacation.

Feeling the growl again

Just when I was getting optimistic after a lot of really good training....

I was looking forward to a good tempo tonight after a couple days of barely squeezing a run in.  I got less than half a mile in and realized my left hammy was pulled/torn and pulled the plug on it.  Looks like I have a week of very easy miles in front of me, at least.

I felt it during Sunday's workout but thought it was just tightness that stretched out and went away, as I have been having some issues on that side with nerve pain and tightness (used to be the right).  Apparently not.

Damn it.  At least i don't have a race imminently.

kcam

Bummer.  Certainly only a strain or at worst a pulled hamstring from what you describe. Go easy and get it healed.

Just when I was getting optimistic after a lot of really good training....

I was looking forward to a good tempo tonight after a couple days of barely squeezing a run in.  I got less than half a mile in and realized my left hammy was pulled/torn and pulled the plug on it.  Looks like I have a week of very easy miles in front of me, at least.

I felt it during Sunday's workout but thought it was just tightness that stretched out and went away, as I have been having some issues on that side with nerve pain and tightness (used to be the right).  Apparently not.

Damn it.  At least i don't have a race imminently.