3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Sucker Punches (Read 1095 times)

Just when I was getting optimistic after a lot of really good training....

I was looking forward to a good tempo tonight after a couple days of barely squeezing a run in.  I got less than half a mile in and realized my left hammy was pulled/torn and pulled the plug on it.  Looks like I have a week of very easy miles in front of me, at least.

I felt it during Sunday's workout but thought it was just tightness that stretched out and went away, as I have been having some issues on that side with nerve pain and tightness (used to be the right).  Apparently not.

Damn it.  At least i don't have a race imminently.

I had this yesterday towards the end of an interval session (left hammy too) after feeling it a little a couple of days before, and it's nowhere near as bad as I expected today so hopefully you'll be the same with a bit of luck.  Fingers crossed.

Feeling the growl again

I had this yesterday towards the end of an interval session (left hammy too) after feeling it a little a couple of days before, and it's nowhere near as bad as I expected today so hopefully you'll be the same with a bit of luck.  Fingers crossed.

Thanks, but I don't think I'm so lucky.  Walking out of work today all of a sudden my back tightened up from the top of my glute diagonally over to my spine.  It's acting like the nerve is impinged and I can't even walk correctly now, much less try to run today.  Seems to be a compensation injury run amok.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Thanks, but I don't think I'm so lucky.  Walking out of work today all of a sudden my back tightened up from the top of my glute diagonally over to my spine.  It's acting like the nerve is impinged and I can't even walk correctly now, much less try to run today.  Seems to be a compensation injury run amok.

That sucks!  If that's not a sucker punch, I don't know what is. Maybe a some good stretching and rolling will help?

Feeling the growl again

That sucks!  If that's not a sucker punch, I don't know what is. Maybe a some good stretching and rolling will help?

I am liberally lubricating the area internally with Yazoo.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

C-R

Damn man. Sucker punch? More like a kick to the balls. Hope you get it cleared. You've been putting in some great work towards that ultra.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

Damn man. Sucker punch? More like a kick to the balls. Hope you get it cleared. You've been putting in some great work towards that ultra.

Yeah.  I'm going to register this weekend, injury or not.  It's a long way out.

I'm a bit amazed how badly this has progressed today.  I really have problems walking now.  I'm on the couch with a glass of muscle relaxant (ie Malbec).

I still plan on running 10-12 in the morning, it just might take awhile and a warmup with gritted teeth.  Big grin

Nerve pain is not a real injury.  It's just a nasty bitch on your back.

C-R

Yeah.  I'm going to register this weekend, injury or not.  It's a long way out.

I'm a bit amazed how badly this has progressed today.  I really have problems walking now.  I'm on the couch with a glass of muscle relaxant (ie Malbec).

I still plan on running 10-12 in the morning, it just might take awhile and a warmup with gritted teeth.  Big grin

Steady as she goes man. Good luck tomorrow. Hopefully I can get my run at 5am to make that 8 am flight

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

Steady as she goes man. Good luck tomorrow. Hopefully I can get my run at 5am to make that 8 am flight

Hardcore.  I love it.  Ran fast and sweat hard down there.

Run fast and sweat hard down there.

Awkward.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Just when I was getting optimistic after a lot of really good training....

I was looking forward to a good tempo tonight after a couple days of barely squeezing a run in.  I got less than half a mile in and realized my left hammy was pulled/torn and pulled the plug on it.  Looks like I have a week of very easy miles in front of me, at least.

I felt it during Sunday's workout but thought it was just tightness that stretched out and went away, as I have been having some issues on that side with nerve pain and tightness (used to be the right).  Apparently not.

Well, shit.  I hope it either straightens itself out or dies of alcohol poisoning.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Hmm... I don't think I've ever distinguished between muscle pain and nerve pain. I usually stop if I'm hurting in any way. Do you guys usually run through nerve pain because it's not a "real" injury?

Prince of Fatness

Do you guys usually run through nerve pain because it's not a "real" injury?

It's real.  Trust me.

Not at it at all. 

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Good luck Princess.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Feeling the growl again

It's real.  Trust me.

Heh.  Yeah. I thought after I wrote that that it may have been misconstrued.  I guess my point was there is a difference between a muscle or something that is torn or pulled and a nerve that hurts like crazy (at least for me).   As you know in my case the solution has often been to grit my teeth and tear loose the irritated muscles around the nerve...sucks at the time but usually means it gets better in a day or two.  I'm going to try that after another meeting, but with nursing the hammy I can't get the speed up to do it like I normally do so I don't know if it will work or if I will just get spit off the back of the treadmill.

Feeling the growl again

Hmm... I don't think I've ever distinguished between muscle pain and nerve pain. I usually stop if I'm hurting in any way. Do you guys usually run through nerve pain because it's not a "real" injury?

I've had recurring piriformis/sciatic issues for years.  Stopping does not help it.  The muscles get irritated and inflamed from the nerve and tighten up, and the problem just gets worse.

Stretching often and doing fast sections of running that make it hurt bad enough to water my eyes seem to tear loose the tightened muscles and relieve the irritation.  So I don't view it as something that needs to be rested and healed like a muscle pull/tear.

Finn's problem is different.