3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Sucker Punches (Read 1095 times)

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Thanks, but I don't think I'm so lucky.  Walking out of work today all of a sudden my back tightened up from the top of my glute diagonally over to my spine.  It's acting like the nerve is impinged and I can't even walk correctly now, much less try to run today.  Seems to be a compensation injury run amok.

Spaniel- I definitely feel for you.  I've had issues with a nerve in my back off  and on for about 23 years.

Luckily, running motions / bouncing doesn't cause pain for me.  Twisty turning motions and

bending over are impossible when it flairs up.   I am very thankful that the running is not affected for me!

mta:  Well twice maybe in all these years running has been painful.

Sue-  I have a nerve in my foot that causes pain since I jammed my toe last June.  I run through the

pain most of the time but there have been a few times when I've had to stop a run.

And yeah, nerve pain is a very real injury in my book.

steph  

Prince of Fatness

Finn's problem is different.

I think that the same thing is wrong with me (tight muscles irritating my sciatic nerve) but to a different degree.  I am older than spaniel and have had some periods in my life that I did not run much.  I think my problem is more chronic in nature and was caused in part by working a desk job for 25+ years.

I think that this is why my problem is harder to fix.  At least that is my theory.

Not at it at all. 

I've tweaked my back and shoulders before, and taken off. Luckily nothing's been chronic. Now that I'm a masters runner *shakeshead*, I need to be more careful BUT I also feel that time is getting short, and I need to push a bit to improve while I still can.

Hope you're feeling better, Spaniel.

#artbydmcbride

A nice epidural shot would fix you right up!  Cool

Runners run

Feeling the growl again

Hope you're feeling better, Spaniel.

My lunch run was miserable with pain, especially for a couple hours afterward.  I don't know what happened for the evening run, but it was the best I've had since the injury happened.  Either...

a)  running MORE since I got injured has somehow helped it, or

b)  the pre-run beer loosened it up for the run

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

My lunch run was miserable with pain, especially for a couple hours afterward.  I don't know what happened for the evening run, but it was the best I've had since the injury happened.  Either...

a)  running MORE since I got injured has somehow helped it, or

b)  the pre-run beer loosened it up for the run

Is this one we get to vote on?  I don't see the poll buttons but I'll go for b.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Is this one we get to vote on?  I don't see the poll buttons but I'll go for b.

B. Definitely B.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

I'm not sure it's an either/or situation. I'd continue doing both, just to be safe.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Walk-Jogger

I need to know more about the beer, before I can vote. There's "beer", and then there's BEER.

Unrelated, but I have successfully used all-out 100 meter sprints to free up my stuck sacroiliac joint in the past, which was the cause of my lower back pain and little to no running for several months.

Retired &  Loving It

Feeling the growl again

I'm not sure it's an either/or situation. I'd continue doing both, just to be safe.

This is my inclination, although it does not help me in the weight loss thread.  And it is hard to do with lunch runs.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Feeling the growl again

I need to know more about the beer, before I can vote. There's "beer", and then there's BEER.

Unrelated, but I have successfully used all-out 100 meter sprints to free up my stuck sacroiliac joint in the past, which was the cause of my lower back pain and little to no running for several months.

Pre-run beer was a Moose Drool.

Yup, I'm a fan of fast running for these issues.  Problem is there is some danger to doing it on a treadmill and I have been unable to get outside to do it properly.  So I just gradually worked up the pace.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Hmm.  This is probably the correct answer.

But I'd weight it a little more toward the beer rather than half and half.

steph  

Slo

WTF ?!? Angry

My knee is getting worse.  I threw in the towel at 3 blocks today. Pain was at a 7 - 8.

Back on Jan 16th I made a health note entry about Runners Knee. Last week I only ran once.

Climbing stairs is geting more painful each day.

Feeling the growl again

WTF ?!? Angry

My knee is getting worse.  I threw in the towel at 3 blocks today. Pain was at a 7 - 8.

Back on Jan 16th I made a health note entry about Runners Knee. Last week I only ran once.

Climbing stairs is geting more painful each day.

Crap.

Have you had it looked at?

Slo

Not yet.

Everything seem to point to connective tissue. I don't have an issue with weight bearing exercising. I just did squats yesterday. From a seated position I can extend my leg with out issue. No popping noises.

I have been on the indoor spinner and I did do a gravel road meteric bike race this last Saturday. I don't have any pain from those activities.

It might be time to drop everything for a week or two.

I'm icing right now.