3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Sucker Punches (Read 1095 times)

Feeling the growl again

To me as well.  It seems a wonky pelvis is the latest in cool.

Yeah.  I've been fighting mine too.  Right sciatic soreness, I really abhore driving right now because it tightens up like a sonufa.  I've resorted to intense hamstring stretching after every run, this desk job is killing me.  I can barely touch my toes anymore.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

To me as well.  It seems a wonky pelvis is the latest in cool.

Hey Hop,  was wondering how you're doing...Getting better?

steph  

Hey TeaOlive, thanks for asking.  I've run 38 miles in the last 7 days, and things don't really hurt badly any more (they don't hurt at all to run which is a big improvement).  I know the mileage isn't much, but I was fighting to run at all, and then struggling to go past 20 minutes without my leg tightening, then spasming, locking and collapsing.  I couldn't lift my leg to do hamstring stretches on a chair or table without holding onto the leg and physically lifting it, nor could I lower my leg from quad stretches, walk without pain etc.  All of this has got significantly better.  However I still feel like a runner fraud and a non-runner.  I'm still doing 40-60 minutes of physio a night to help things along.  Lots of lunges, side planks, balance stuff plus stretches, and am bringing in more core and upper body work (which I want to do for this and also for climbing)!  Weekly mileage recently has gone 60 (last week that I could put up with pain before things hit the fan badly and my planned 23 miler became a 7 miler on the last day of that week), then 20, 16, 18, 21, 24, 28, 32...and 38 in the last 7 days (but likely to be 36 for the week).  Pace has been slow or very slow, and I daren't try to run faster (both scared of pain, injuring again and how unfit I feel).  I do feel lucky that I've kept any running up through this, but to be honest, it was bloody painful to keep up, I dreaded each run, and those spasms and locking were horrible...I hate having no control over my body, and I really couldn't do anything for them nor could I control how my leg landed when it did spasm.

It's my right side, which has always been my stronger side.  I'm trying to work both right and left as I still think the left being so weak is an issue...however strengthening the right does seem to be helping too.  They haven't corrected my pelvis yet as he said there was no point if the muscles were as tight as they were as the pelvis would just head back into the tilty position.  As a result my right leg is still 2cm or so shorter than the left.  My sciatic nerve is irritated too apparently, and my foot and ankle and knee were getting pain and buzzing (plus I couldn't actually dorsiflex my foot at one point as it was locked).  Apparently I also have no rotation at the thoracic spine and am hypermobile everywhere else, so that adds to some of the weirdness.

Things that continue to worry me are what will happen when I increase mileage and am I just compensating in another way such that I'll get struck by injury one side or the other soon.  I don't think I'm running evenly in terms of shoe wear despite the changes in pain and strength, but I don't want to think too hard about this and mess things up by trying to correct something incorrectly (if that makes sense).

Spaniel, I think the increase in desk work is bad for me too.  I'm lucky I get my walk to and from work (only 3 miles each way, but at least it's activity) and I'm looking forward to getting back out in the lab where I can stand and move.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

Damn this is eerily familiar.

I was pretty shocked when the pelvis alignment / SI Joint thing was diagnosed.  I've been researching and a wonky SI Joint and misaligned or rotated pelvis seems pretty common (especially for low back pain).

It seems that 99% of the medical community ignores it though...I had to get a physician prescription before I could start PT and I had an orthopedic surgeon completely blow off the SI Joint / Pelvis possibility.

Some good info about SI Joint dysfunction out there from a guy named Richard DonTigny and another named Marc Heller (a PT and Chiro).

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

That you are not hurting when running is good for sure Sara!   

The rest will come along.

steph  

Just a dude.

Meeting with my heart doc today.  Everything looked good.

Gonna sneak out for a 3 miler tomorrow... 

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Feeling the growl again

-Kelly

LIKE.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

double post

steph  

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Excellent Kelly.

steph  

Just a dude.

-Kelly

3 miler accomplished. Felt pretty decent. Some things definitely felt different, but I have had 3 weeks of almost no activity... So I don't know what is rust and what is pacemaker...

So I better run some more and figure it out... starting tomorrow... Wink

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

C-R

3 miler accomplished. Felt pretty decent. Some things definitely felt different, but I have had 3 weeks of almost no activity... So I don't know what is rust and what is pacemaker...

-Kelly

Boo Yah!

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

-Kelly

Smile.

Prince of Fatness

-Kelly

Nice.

I found a sports chiro that does ART and Graston.  This guy was recommended by someone on RA and is about 40 miles closer than the other guy I am seeing.  Based on what I told him when I emailed him he is thinking compartment syndrome related to the psoas muscle or something along those lines.  We'll see.  The appointment is for next Monday the 9th.  Until then I will keep up with the little bit of running and core work that I am doing.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Totally off-topic here, but am I the slow kid in the class?  Are all the recent handle changes related and I don't get it?

Compartment system is pretty treatable, IIRC correctly.  So maybe a correct diagnosis will get you a solution.  Here's hoping to that....

C-R

good luck Finn. I remember reading about compartment syndrome when researching my calf solution. Like spaniel said once id'd its treateable.

Handle changes abound. Damn hard to keep track without a program.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/