3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Sucker Punches (Read 1095 times)

Just a dude.

Hey, no fair trying to get extra training in while you sleep... Wink

My wife has a cpap, and it has helped her. Hopefully it really helps you. Just be warned that anyone sharing your room while you sleep may occasionally get frustrated if your mask gets loose because it gets noisy. They may lightly tap or kick you to fix it... <innocent grin>

Hope it works out for you!

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Feeling the growl again

Got 3 diagnosis from the Neurologist that specializes in sleep/movement disorders. Apparently I have restless leg syndrome (my legs moved over 400 times rhythmically through out the night making it an average of 69.5 each hour where normal is 10 or under. It also woke me up more than 100 times that night (maybe not completely awake each time ). SLeep apnea which is mild during normal sleep but during REM it's  moderate. And lastly Central Nervous system Hyposomnia. He's not sure if that is all that's going on only time will tell. He's hoping the Cpap will help all 3 issue's. If not there are medications for the other 2.  Anyway at least I have a plan  of attack to help get back to "normal"

Oh and did I mention that I signed up for a marathon???? shhhhhhhh

Interesting.  I hope this gets things somewhere for you.

My wife got something called a FitBit watch-ish type thing for her birthday.  Basically tracks body movement during the day to give you steps/activity/calories toward a goal, and in sleep mode records when you are dead still (REM) or moving about and restless.  Unfortunately the cheap metal in the clasp caused a reaction and she's now exchanged it for a Nike Fuel, which doesn't do the sleep thing.

I was hoping to use it because for a couple months now I spend at least the last half of the night extremely restless for no good reason...half awake much of the time.  Don't know if it's just stress or what but it messes with you when you get 8 hours of "sleep" and are exhausted.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Interesting.  I hope this gets things somewhere for you.

My wife got something called a FitBit watch-ish type thing for her birthday.  Basically tracks body movement during the day to give you steps/activity/calories toward a goal, and in sleep mode records when you are dead still (REM) or moving about and restless.  Unfortunately the cheap metal in the clasp caused a reaction and she's now exchanged it for a Nike Fuel, which doesn't do the sleep thing.

I was hoping to use it because for a couple months now I spend at least the last half of the night extremely restless for no good reason...half awake much of the time.  Don't know if it's just stress or what but it messes with you when you get 8 hours of "sleep" and are exhausted.

Thanks Andy.

I had one of those and actually returned it before they recalled them for the exact reason your wife took hers back. I decided to try the basis which actually a better product when it comes to tracking sleep, movement etc. I haven't worn it since I started using the cpap machine but I plan on doing it tonight. I also plan on wearing it in the future (maybe a month or so from now) on a night that I decide not to use the cpap machine just so I can see what the data looks like. I'm

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Rockin'  - Jeez, if it's not one thing, it's a nother.  Really hope this works for you!

steph  

Hey, no fair trying to get extra training in while you sleep... Wink

My wife has a cpap, and it has helped her. Hopefully it really helps you. Just be warned that anyone sharing your room while you sleep may occasionally get frustrated if your mask gets loose because it gets noisy. They may lightly tap or kick you to fix it... <innocent grin>

Hope it works out for you!

-Kelly

HA!

I guess it can't be any worse than getting "elbowed" in the middle of the night and being told to roll on my side so that I can start breathing better.

On the plus side when I had my second sleep study done with the cpap machine my leg movement while sleeping was MUCH better. Still not normal but much better than it was without the cpap so fingers crossed. What I really need to be gone is the day time sleepyness. My sleep latency average was 3 minutes 30 seconds to fall asleep where the normal is at least 10 minutes. Doctor says that even though I don't have all 5 symptoms of Narcolepsy it doesn't mean I'm not on my way to getting it

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Spaniel - Sounds very much like my husband.

Pam  -  Maybe My husband should try the basis.

steph  

Feeling the growl again

I decided to try the basis which actually a better product when it comes to tracking sleep, movement etc. 

Thanks, I will forward her that link.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

C-R

So sorry Pam. Keep plugging away as we know you will.

The boys got those FitLinks bracelets for their birthday. Effing things are impossible to get on a wrist. I thought about co-opting one but haven't been inspired. Seem cool and the data might be interesting.

I'll think about it.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I was hiking the other day with my six-year-old on the rubble field behind the basin at fall Creek Falls. Right at the very end of our adventure on the slippery rocks, I lost my grip and took a spill while trying to protect the kiddo. I slammed my right shin into a small boulder before scrambling to safety. Over the course of the afternoon and evening it became very swollen, tight and painful. The bruising set in within a day or so. Here, several days later, is still swollen up. I got an x-ray last night which showed that the bones are intact and did not break. So I am still in the game. But I need a few days off.

100 Miler in just over 3 weeks...

Feeling the growl again

I was hiking the other day with my six-year-old on the rubble field behind the basin at fall Creek Falls. Right at the very end of our adventure on the slippery rocks, I lost my grip and took a spill while trying to protect the kiddo. I slammed my right shin into a small boulder before scrambling to safety. Over the course of the afternoon and evening it became very swollen, tight and painful. The bruising set in within a day or so. Here, several days later, is still swollen up. I got an x-ray last night which showed that the bones are intact and did not break. So I am still in the game. But I need a few days off.

100 Miler in just over 3 weeks...

What the F dude, that looks like some serious bruising.  Screw the shin, the heel and lower calf look ugly.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Most of that is dependent bruising. That is, the shin bruise and swelling drained with gravity into the ankle. The shin hurts.

Feeling the growl again

Most of that is dependent bruising. That is, the shin bruise and swelling drained with gravity into the ankle. The shin hurts.

Shins are dispensable for running.  Mine hurt the first 2-3 years I was running.  So you are GTG.  Simple pain should not stop you.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Agree.

But it scared me.

Feeling the growl again

Agree.

But it scared me.

I tripped on my own 3 feet on the stairs the other day carrying a kiddo.

It scared me too.  I'd already rolled to smash my shoulder and head to spare the kiddo when I caught myself.

Running is stupid.  In the end you did the right thing no matter the effect on the 100-miler.  Good Daddy.

But I think you'll be fine for the race.  3 weeks is a lot of recovery.  Just keep the monkeys away from it.

Speaking of monkeys, I am not far from doing some chemistry and adjustments to wine in order to put in some monkey-shaped bottles.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey