3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Sucker Punches (Read 1095 times)

Feeling the growl again

We had to put down my avatar/handle today.  Here he was officiating the very first Spaniel Farms Beer Mile:

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

We had to put down my avatar/handle today.  Here he was officiating the very first Spaniel Farms Beer Mile:

Damn. Sorry to hear this.

Not at it at all. 

C-R

Sorry to hear Andy. He was a good beer mile ref.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Oh!  I'm so sorry.

steph  

DoppleBock

Time passes pretty quickly for pets ... but they sure know how to live in the time they get.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

bhearn

Been a while since I've posted in this thread, fortunately. I've had a bunch of success in the meantime. But now it's time to pay the piper. Docs agree I have to have surgery for my torn peroneal tendons. Three months off running, but realistically a year to get back to 100%. It's killing me. I'm finally where I want to be, otherwise, after clawing my way back from Achilles surgery and a DVT. I had big plans.

Before surgery I'm going to try to run through it at the 24-hour World Championships in two weeks. It feels OK now when I run flats, which just makes it all the more frustrating to be told, no, it's still degrading; it cannot heal on its own.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

FINDINGS:
                Stress fracture along the midshaft of the right 4th metatarsal is
                demonstrated. There is extensive callus formation, however, lucencies
                traversing the bone suggest there is an acute-to-subacute component
                to the injury. No other fractures are demonstrated. Normal alignment
                is demonstrated in the bones of the foot.

C-R

FINDINGS:

Sounds like a monkey bite. Consider yourself lucky they let you live albeit with a limp to heal.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

DoppleBock

What kind of beer goes with that diagnosis?

Sadly I did not buy any of Central Waters 20th Anniversary tickets ... On Sales Dec 3rd ... sold out.

FINDINGS:

Feeling the growl again

Sounds like some duct tape is in order.

Not to take things lightly.  I wish you all the best in healing.  Open the door to my stories on the mentally weak and excuses and Norm and WhoDat will know where I am going from there.  Wink

FINDINGS:

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

DoppleBock

I agree - Heal quick - heal well.

I am pretending to be an athlete this week ... 1st time since 2012.  No alcohol, staying hydrated, getting sleep, eating a lot of plants and stretching a lot.  I am tired of being stiff all the time and having things hurt.  It is my theory that most my "old man" body pains are from not doing these things.  If I pretend to be an athlete long enough and I am wrong at least my weight will come down.

It takes a strange clydesdale to set these goals during the Holiday season.  1st I want to make 10 days, then decide if I want to extend the focus.  I have this dream of running effortlessly through the woods for no reason at all but because it feels good.

Prince of Fatness

FINDINGS:

Didn’t know that you were having issues. What’s the course of action?

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Doc says:

The Xray shows excellent healing around the stress fracture, so pain really is the guide. Wearing thick/stiff-soled shoes accomplishes the same thing as a boot-walker if you're comfortable while wearing them. I certainly think hiking would be fine. I'd ease very slowly into running. Obviously, don't run through pain; the trickier thing is judging how far to run when there is no pain, since the pain sometimes only occurs after running. My advice to people is to start at about 30% of where they left off and increase by 10% per week as long as there is no pain, don't run on consecutive days, and crosstrain doing nonimpact exercise (bike, elliptical, water) all you want. Hope that helps.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey