3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Sucker Punches (Read 1095 times)

Damn Rocken. Get well. There is always another marathon but only one you (fuck that is awkward for this place but you get my drift)

Thanks Norm!

Well I started my meds back up and ran my 10 mile race. After my terrible 5k last weekend I managed to run today's race in 1:19:50 which is a 2 minute PR. The best part is that it felt just like a steady state run.  I have renewed hope for my marathon in 2 weeks. I think I should be able to PR but I think my 3:30 goal will have to wait until fall

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Feeling the growl again

Thanks Norm!

Well I started my meds back up and ran my 10 mile race. After my terrible 5k last weekend I managed to run today's race in 1:19:50 which is a 2 minute PR. The best part is that it felt just like a steady state run.  I have renewed hope for my marathon in 2 weeks. I think I should be able to PR but I think my 3:30 goal will have to wait until fall

That really says something about your fitness, to have all those problems and be able to pop a PR like that....

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

That really says something about your fitness, to have all those problems and be able to pop a PR like that....

I conceded to that point while having a discussion with my husband earlier today.  It's hard to feel fit when my last 5k (last weekend) was probably the hardest  (effort wise) 5k in a few years and it was my slowest one in a few years. Just shows how much certain hormone's can effect running or life in general. 

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Cutting up taters last night, sliced the shit out of my left pointer finger. The clinic was closed and no way I was going to spend $600 and 5 hours in the ED for 3 stitches.

Sewed the bitch up myself. With a sewing needle. No anesthesia, except some beer.

Bloody. Awesome. Ouch.

L Train

Is this how you pictured yourself?

Feeling the growl again

Cutting up taters last night, sliced the shit out of my left pointer finger. The clinic was closed and no way I was going to spend $600 and 5 hours in the ED for 3 stitches.

Sewed the bitch up myself. With a sewing needle. No anesthesia, except some beer.

Bloody. Awesome. Ouch.

Did you poor some cheap hooch on it straight out of the bottle?

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Slo

No glue?

Feeling the growl again

wrong forum x 2

cheap hooch poured on is not anesthesia, it's a sterilizer.  Wink

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

No glue?

Superglue works great on certain wounds, but this was right above a joint and gapes open with any movement.

Plus, this was far the fuck more Rambo.

Prince of Fatness

Maybe this?

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Plus, this was far the fuck more Rambo.

But with more ripped calves.

Feeling the growl again

I've been having some right hip issues since last weekend.  I raced on it anyways.  When I get time to run outdoors it is manageable, but the treadmill runs are becoming more challenging.  My piriformis started acting up on the treadmill tonight...I managed to run through the first couple flare-ups but the last one that hit a mile before I stopped was BAD.  I've run through this shit before but I don't know this time.  Next week Finn and I can trade PIA stories over beer I guess.

Prince of Fatness

I've been having some right hip issues since last weekend.  I raced on it anyways.  When I get time to run outdoors it is manageable, but the treadmill runs are becoming more challenging.  My piriformis started acting up on the treadmill tonight...I managed to run through the first couple flare-ups but the last one that hit a mile before I stopped was BAD.  I've run through this shit before but I don't know this time.  Next week Finn and I can trade PIA stories over beer I guess.

We won't have enough time for my stories.  Just curious, what sort of symptoms do you have when your piriformis flares up?  For me it is just tightness, and sitting becomes a chore.  Running doesn't bother me except when the muscles go into spasm and affect the nerves,  Then I get tingling and some numbness.

I've been seeing a sports chiro for a few months now and am making some progress, but it is slow progress.  I think that we both have come to the conclusion that my issue is chronic tightness, misalignment, and muscle imbalance.  It sucks not having more of a specific diagnosis but I think that this more general one explains why I have been dealing with this for so long.

I'm still going with no timeline, just letting things run their course and see where it leads.  I've picked up my running over the last month or so and will continue to build on it.  But mentally I am still a little gun shy.  I ran 2200 miles in 2011 and feel like that got flushed down the toilet so I am still hesitant to make the investment.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Just curious, what sort of symptoms do you have when your piriformis flares up?  For me it is just tightness, and sitting becomes a chore.  Running doesn't bother me except when the muscles go into spasm and affect the nerves,  Then I get tingling and some numbness.

This time around it was pretty quick onset, and it feels like someone poking an ice pick into my ass with every stride.  After I stopped running the pain causes the surrounding muscle to lock up tight and start cramping, which makes the nerve irritation worse, so it kind of spirals.  It took a couple hours to release, right now I can't even feel it but I'm sure once I start running it will come back.  If it does I will need to try my patented rip-it-loose strategy...but I think it's a compensation reaction to the other issues I've been having with that hip so I don't want to injure those muscles trying that if I don't have to.