3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Can we have a reasonable conversation about minimalist running? (Read 593 times)

Seanv2

I hope so, and I hope this is the place to do it. I'd like to explore this issue a little without having to have a long lecture on the Tarahumara Indians and Vibrams.

I'm once again battling PF in my left foot and am looking to try something new. It seems like Spaniel has had some success with walking around (if not running) barefoot. It also seems like Phin is doing some barefoot running. Is anyone else experimenting with this? What kind of footwear are you using? What kind of workouts are you doing?

modified because my original title was too long...

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

Ostrich runner

I have had some issues...far from battles, with PF. I have gone towards more minimal shoes than I was wearing in part because of that. It has helped some things and hurt others. Also, I've had foot problems caused by tight calves from the minimal shoes. Finding the underlying cause of the PF might help as might foot rubz balls or massage. Like Spaniel, I think some issues I had were caused by wearing bad shoes at work. I ditched the wingtips and am wearing mostly these really comfy Hush Puppies suede shoes instead. 

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Seanv2

Like Spaniel, I think some issues I had were caused by wearing bad shoes at work. I ditched the wingtips and am wearing mostly these really comfy Hush Puppies suede shoes instead. 

I wear a pretty minimal loafer type shoe at work, but perhaps I need to be doing the golf ball massage of the foot stuff more.

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

Ostrich runner

I wear a pretty minimal loafer type shoe at work, but perhaps I need to be doing the golf ball massage of the foot stuff more.

Golf balls aren't bad, but the $4 for one of these is worth it.

Heh I have my first trail ultra coming up and am intrigued by and considering the anti-minimalist Hoka shoes.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Ostrich runner

I just posted in the main forum that Hokas are available on theclymb.com for less than half price in a few sizes. You might luck out.

I'll have to look into that, thanks. It's definitely the hefty price tag that's been scaring me away to this point.

MTA: Sorry about the diversion, back to minimalist talk...

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

C-R

Right now I run as little as possible so I guess this counts as minimalist. Wait, what?

Seriously, I've been running in nothing but flats for going on four years. I'm not anything special as far as running or body type. Actually right now I'm a bit heavy due to a lack of running. I use several different versions but right now I am running in Suacony Fastwitch for training and have Saucony A6 and Asics Hyperspeeds for racing as well as some Nike XC Streaks. I really enjoy them all and have had no foot issues. I am having some calf issues but that is caused by over-striding (stupid injury) and not from the shoes. y theory is the lighter - the better. However, I would say go into this slowly to allow for adjustment.

I do have some Vibrams (which smell something awful even after major washing and enjoy running with these but only on grass. Tried BF but it didn't take.

I walk around the house without shoes as much as possible. Not sure if it helps but what the hey.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Seanv2

Right now I run as little as possible so I guess this counts as minimalist. Wait, what?

Seriously, I've been running in nothing but flats for going on four years. I'm not anything special as far as running or body type. Actually right now I'm a bit heavy due to a lack of running. I use several different versions but right now I am running in Suacony Fastwitch for training and have Saucony A6 and Asics Hyperspeeds for racing as well as some Nike XC Streaks. I really enjoy them all and have had no foot issues. I am having some calf issues but that is caused by over-striding (stupid injury) and not from the shoes. y theory is the lighter - the better. However, I would say go into this slowly to allow for adjustment.

I do have some Vibrams (which smell something awful even after major washing and enjoy running with these but only on grass. Tried BF but it didn't take.

I walk around the house without shoes as much as possible. Not sure if it helps but what the hey.

CR, looking at your profile page, "heavy" for you is lighter than I have been since high school. I'm rocking the scales around 185 right now and I worry serious miles in flats would be too much. I wonder if drills or very short runs in flats would make any difference?

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

C-R

CR, looking at your profile page, "heavy" for you is lighter than I have been since high school. I'm rocking the scales around 185 right now and I worry serious miles in flats would be too much. I wonder if drills or very short runs in flats would make any difference?

Skipping rope barefoot helped me. Also it makes one really focus as it hurts when you make a mistake.

I do drills barefoot on the infield of the local middle school track (football field) grass. It feels good and I don't have too big of a worry about sharp stuff and its short work. High knees, butt kicks, strides, etc.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

obsessor

back when I actually ran, I tried barefoot on the pavement without much of a problem, except when you hit a sharp rock. So, I like a shoe for comfort and protection, but I don't want it to correct my gait or foot-plant or anything. I wear the Nike Air Pegasus (I think??) because they last 2 to 3000 miles before wearing through to pavement. They are pretty minimalistic after 600 miles or so.

I don't really know anything about minimalist running, i'm going to go ahead and say that....

But my thinking is that if you are running on pavement or concrete you are NOT running naturally. Those are not natural surfaces. People I see running barefoot in grass or on dirt trails have the right idea...I mean, if you're not going to wear shoes, those are the surfaces you should be running on, right?

Running barefoot on pavement or concrete seems like it would hurt more than it would help.

I do know a lot about PF...

Strassberg sock. Do it. Only thing that helped me. Rolling your foot on a frozen bottle of water helps too.

L Train

Only thing that helped me. Rolling your foot on a frozen bottle of water helps too.

This sentence structure is BCR-like. 

Prince of Fatness

My trail shoes are pretty clunky but other than that I have ASICS Speedstars, Hyperspeeds, and Saucony Kinvaras.  My next pair of trail shoes will be lighter ones.  I'm about due.  I took my time transitioning over to lighter shoes (I used to wear the ASICS Nimbus).  If you do it gradually enough you won't overuse anything.

I started doing some barefoot running as a way to work on my form, not because of PF.  I do feel that it also helps to strengthen the feet and ankles.  Friday is usually barefoot day.  I run a few miles in flats, then take them out and run barefoot.  I am almost up to 2 miles (I started at a quarter mile).  I do it on pavement.  I'd do more but I have office feet I guess and blister easily.  Quite honestly I am most comfortable running barefoot.

Sean, you're going to get a lot of different, or even opposite, opinions on this.  Really I think that what you need to do is try some things yourself.  My only advice is that if you are going to do any minimalist or barefoot running, work it in gradually.

Not at it at all. 

Seanv2

I don't really know anything about minimalist running, i'm going to go ahead and say that....

But my thinking is that if you are running on pavement or concrete you are NOT running naturally. Those are not natural surfaces. People I see running barefoot in grass or on dirt trails have the right idea...I mean, if you're not going to wear shoes, those are the surfaces you should be running on, right?

Running barefoot on pavement or concrete seems like it would hurt more than it would help.

I do know a lot about PF...

Strassberg sock. Do it. Only thing that helped me. Rolling your foot on a frozen bottle of water helps too.

I tend to agree with you on the running on pavement or concrete not being natural, but then again, haven't there been some articles recently which say that the impact is the same whether you're running on dirt or pavement? Either way, I live in Brooklyn, I am not running anywhere barefoot. Yuck.

I've considered the Stassberg sock, you think its worth it? Do you get more from it than from just doing the stretch it mimics?

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com