3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

BEER (Read 2196 times)

Prince of Fatness

No homebrew in the kegerator.  I am checking a couple more options to find something decent to put in it, my local beer store failed me yesterday and the manager who was supposed to call me back and help me never did.  So I will be driving 1/2 an hour for a decent keg, it appears.

Does the kegerator hold two sixtels?  If so the ideal scenario is to have two taps of craft beer available at all times.  Variety is always a plus.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Does the kegerator hold two sixtels?  If so the ideal scenario is to have two taps of craft beer available at all times.  Variety is always a plus.

It is an older BeverageAir BM23.  Online it says it will hold a "full keg" which I think is a half barrel...also says it will hold 3 sixths or four of the 5gal homebrew containers (I know those are tall and skinny).

The glitch is I have a single tower on it.  I would need to drop around $150-$200 to get the tower and hardware to hook up two at the same time.  I am being pretty miserly lately as we have a minivan in the near future due to baby #3 so I think I would wait until I am actually homebrewing; I would love to have a light drinking beer and a heavier beer available at all times.

Too bad I didn't order it during the window where that punk-ass who stole my credit card number was racking up charges last week, I could have just lumped it with the fraud claim.

MTA:  I just need to work on the door gasket tonight.  I replaced it and the new one leaves gaps so I need to take a hair dryer to it.  May punch out early and go track down a keg.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

Part of me would like to get into kegging and part would not.  A kegerator would be nice.  Some argue that you have less portability with kegs, but that can be solved with a few growlers.

I really don't have the room for a keg setup right now.  Plus, I like the variety that bottles provide.  If I ever refinish my basement I may have to revisit the idea though.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

The good thing about homebrewing is kegging does not become an all-or-nothing exercise.  You can bottle a couple sixers for the party down the road then keg the rest for home.  I would rather have to go to the garage for better-tasting beer from my kegerator than be disappointed by the same beer bottled not tasting as good.  This has been my experience with some decent beers.

Going to kegging was just grabbing an opportunity for me.  Neighbor across the road had not used it in 2 years and the wife decided it HAD to go.  $100, with a $50 deposit keg inside that I can return so $50 total for a unit that retails $1600 new (thought mine is on the older side).  It's not perfect, I'd put a few hours of work into it and there's a rusted panel I wish had been better cared for, but it's functional and the price was right.  I just loaded it on my tractor bucket and drove it home.

They are commercial machines to they are a bit noisy to put in the house.  I have a garage conditioned enough that it never freezes, so I am leaving it in there.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Prince of Fatness

retails $1600 new

That's another reason that I don't have one.  I know that you can get them used, or convert a fridge as a DIY project.  I guess that it comes down to having another thing to maintain / clean.  I just have no interest in making the time investment right now.  As a matter of fact, that 2.5 gallon batch that I brewed last week went so well that I will be cutting back on the number of 5 gallon batches that I brew.  I'll have more variety and will get to experiment more with ingredients.  A 5 gallon batch pretty much takes up a whole weekend day whereas I can brew up a 2.5 gallon batch any weeknight.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

I am high and dry until Friday.  Hmmm, what will I have then.

Um, today is Friday!  I have a growler in my car and on my way home from work I will stop at a place that has a growler fill station.  I heard through the rumor mill that they have Dale's Pale Ale on draft.  I am getting me some of that.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Um, today is Friday!  I have a growler in my car and on my way home from work I will stop at a place that has a growler fill station.  I heard through the rumor mill that they have Dale's Pale Ale on draft.  I am getting me some of that.

Dammit man.

Although, if they sell me the keg cold, I will be in business.

I have a growler in my car ...

I have one in my lower abdomen, the product of dodgy vindaloo I found in the back of the fridge.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Feeling the growl again

I'd be giddy if you got a keg of Abita Amber.

Then giddy up.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

WooHoo! Now we just need crawfish!

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Feeling the growl again

WooHoo! Now we just need crawfish!

There's a stream 1/4 mile from my house...I'll leave the wading up to you... Wink

I plan on ample wild game to be provided....crawfish I would need help with but I love them.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

It's a little late in the season for the best crawfish, at least in Louisiana. I have no idea if the crawfish that are up here are the same species. Anyway, I haven't owned any crawfish nets in quite a while.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Liked it, liked it, didn't like it.

Feeling the growl again

I haven't owned any crawfish nets in quite a while.

If you can shoot them instead, we're in business.

Glad to hear the Kentucky Ale was good.  I've eyed that one up a couple times.

Given the 140lbs of beer I have arriving in a few days, however, I think the diversity of my consumption is going to go down for awhile. Wink

Feeling the growl again

Picked up the Kentucky Ale for tomorrow's massive fireworks barrage.  Yes, it is good.